HELP! Protein Shakes & Drinks

Options
What brand of protein shakes do you use? Some that I've tried are extremely gritty, like I'm eating sand... So far I LOVE Herbalife.... Should I be concerned about the calorie count (because some protein powders seem like they're high in calories). How many grams of protein is average for one shake? CLEARLY I'm lost. Thanks for your help! :drinker:

Replies

• Lstever1
    Options
    Well I use a protein powder called Dymatize Whey Protein. It comes in lots of flavors. But my favorite is probably vanilla. I mix up my own shakes with 1/2 cup of 2% milk, 2 tbsp of natural pb, and one scoop of the powder. The powder is 120 calories per scoop and 21g of protein. The shake I make is 375to calories, very filling and super delicious. Hope this helps...! Good luck sweets
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I use Sci Mx and I think it's 20g per scoop. Just get the regular whey so you don't necessarily have to drink it. You can make up your own protein bars and stuff.

http://www.sci-mx.co.uk/product-categories/protein-shakes/pro-go/
    That I leave in the car during winter months. It's stopped me using drive thrus and snacking whilst I'm out and have no time for good food.

http://www.sci-mx.co.uk/product-categories/protein-shakes/100-ultragen-whey-protein/

I love the mocachino in the morning. It's coffee in a shake on my way to work. I can't live without it now.

I also have the dairy flavoured one and make my own protein bars.

It must be mixed with cold / cool water. I add ice as I like mine ice cold even in winter.
    It is not gritty and not bitty and the BEST THING IS that I cannot taste ANY artificial sweeteners. I cannot bear the aftertaste of sweeteners, it tastes disgusting! It's thick, smooth and creamery.
  • kittyraj
    Options
    175cals and 35g protein.
  • JenJenS5
    JenJenS5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use integrated supplements pure whey protein.

http://www.integratedsupplements.com/intsup/intsup0011.WPIVIC

It was recommended by my personal trainer!
  • mshoneysmile7
    mshoneysmile7 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    OOH YUM! I will look into this... Lately I have been purchasing chocolate flavored protein powder. I mix it with black coffee and a tablespoon of whatever flavor coffee creamer to avoid fast food Frappuccino's. The Herbalife chocolate to go protein packs are super convenient but I think there's only 10 grams per pack and it's SUPER expensive...
    I use Sci Mx and I think it's 20g per scoop. Just get the regular whey so you don't necessarily have to drink it. You can make up your own protein bars and stuff.

http://www.sci-mx.co.uk/product-categories/protein-shakes/pro-go/
    That I leave in the car during winter months. It's stopped me using drive thrus and snacking whilst I'm out and have no time for good food.

http://www.sci-mx.co.uk/product-categories/protein-shakes/100-ultragen-whey-protein/

I love the mocachino in the morning. It's coffee in a shake on my way to work. I can't live without it now.

I also have the dairy flavoured one and make my own protein bars.

It must be mixed with cold / cool water. I add ice as I like mine ice cold even in winter.
    It is not gritty and not bitty and the BEST THING IS that I cannot taste ANY artificial sweeteners. I cannot bear the aftertaste of sweeteners, it tastes disgusting! It's thick, smooth and creamery.
  • JenJenS5
    JenJenS5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also and prob. the most important thing! The human body can only digest 30g of protein at once. The rest of it becomes waste. So if you take your protein shake with milk, you dont really want to go over that amount.
  • mshoneysmile7
    Options
    Oh wow! Great to know! Thank you! :smile:
    Also and prob. the most important thing! The human body can only digest 30g of protein at once. The rest of it becomes waste. So if you take your protein shake with milk, you dont really want to go over that amount.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options

Where is your source on this? I would be curious to read this.
  • KayAnnett08
    KayAnnett08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i am currently trying Mutant whey, its delicious, and mixes great! :) the only crappy part is they only have the 3 basic flavors. I use to use Gold standard, that protein was amazing, lots of flavors, mixed well. I would like to try Dymatize Elite Isolate. an isolate protein has less sugars and less calories. whey isolate usually contains between 90-94% protein while whey concentrate has a protein ratio of 70-85%.But the isolate proteins are more expensive. but i believe worth giving a shot:) hope this helps any! :)
  • kittyraj
    Options

The 30g idea is broscience at its finest. You've gotta think why on an evolutionary level why humans would evolve to only be able to process such a low amount of protein, sets you back a bit when you're sitting round the fire in your cave and you can only digest a few mouthfuls of mammoth steak!

In other words, it's a load of tosh. It all depends on your body composition, genetics, weight, height etc.

The main reason we should have a higher percentage of protein is to protect the muscles we have whilst we lose weight. It's mainly so you end up with a firm slim body and not a skinny -loose body.

Where you need to be careful with protein is eating over your calorific requirements.
    I aim for about 30% - 50% but no more as you need fats and carbs to help with you normal functions too.

Calculating Protein as a Percentage of Total Calories

Example:

For a 140lb female, calorie intake=1800 calories, protein=20%:
    1800 x .20 = 360 calories from protein. Since 1 gram of protein = 4 calories, divide protein calories by four:
    360/4 = 90 grams of protein per day.

No matter what your calculations are, remember that there are no magic foods or supplements that can replace the right training and the right diet. The foundation of any program, whether your goal is to lose weight or gain muscle, is a combination of strength training and a healthy diet that includes carbs, with a balance of protein and fat.
  • kittyraj
    Options

Where is your source on this? I would be curious to read this.

This I believe shows the old 30gr of protein per seving theory to be not only out dated but also incorrect, this figure was a conclusion drawn by an American study done in the 1970's on recovering alcohilics who were suffering from a degree of liver and renal failure. It was found that servings
    of over 30gr protein at any one time was not fully digested and caused stress to the subjects renal system as the demands put on the kidneys to process the additional nitrogen and elevated urea production were increased.

I believe as individuals with differing numbers of muscle fibers and muscle density we can all digest differing amounts of protein, the demands we all put on our bodies mentally and physically differ greatly so does our ability to deal with them this alone will have an effect on our ability to digest protein. Until a study is done on people who are pushing the boundaries of protein consumption I think we must do what we feel to be right for ourselves and follow what seems to allow us to recover from our chosen form of exercise swiftly and allow those of us who want added muscle tissue to still have enough excess protein in our diet to support this new tissue growth.

References: Manninen AH. Protein metabolism in exercising humans with special reference to protein supplementation. Dept of Physiology, University of Kuopio. 2002
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I love the GNC lean shake, chocolate. I mix it with only ice and water and it tastes great. It has 25g of protein.
  • susanruss
    Options
    Premier Chocolate Shakes - swear by them. I belong to Sam's Club but I think they have them at target, etc
    They have 30 grams of protein and very low sugar, carbs and fat. They are already made in in a juice box-like container, and they taste GREAT!! LOVE THEM!!
  • mshoneysmile7
    Options
    I am a Sam's Club member too and I'm going grocery shopping today. I will check it out. Thank you
    Premier Chocolate Shakes - swear by them. I belong to Sam's Club but I think they have them at target, etc
    They have 30 grams of protein and very low sugar, carbs and fat. They are already made in in a juice box-like container, and they taste GREAT!! LOVE THEM!!
  • careycm616
    Options
    I use GNC's AMP Pro Performance Shakes. You're supposed to use 3 scoops, but I only have 1.5 in 12oz of water, which cuts the calories down to 140 and protein to 30g, plus it doubles the time between buying an new canister :smile:
    The only bad thing, if you can consider it bad, is there's only 4g of carbs, good for people trying to create lean muscle, bad for people trying to use it as meal replacement. I take it right after I workout, and I find it absorbed by the time I shower and change for work. I'm drinking the cookies and cream flavor now, but I think I like chocolate or vanilla best. GNC advertises buy one get one half off, so I think it's a pretty good deal!

Nutrition Facts for 1.5 scoops in 12 oz water:
    Fat- 5g
    Carbs- 3.5g
    Sugar-1g
    Protein- 30g