Holidays & Food

Options

Replies

• Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I didn't get fat by eating too much on Thanksgiving or Christmas....or any other holiday for that matter. I got fat by eating too much every day of the year.

THIS says alot!
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you attend somewhere that wouldnt mind you bringing a dish, bring something that would compliment what you would like to eat.

In my case, i bring a giant bowl of salad with tons of different types of healthy veges. That way, i eat my salad (and i KNOW that will be there since I brought it) and top with turkey and if there are other things that are good, eat those as well.

Sometimes you can tell yourself you will have one bite, but that will tease your palette. Out of sight out of mind works for me as well. Converse in another part of the room, away from the food. or if you are at a house, offer to help clean up or organize to keep your hands busy.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on keeping up with my workouts and keeping my deficit lower than usual from now until Thanksgiving so that I can enjoy that day by eating a little bit of everything and not feel guilty... After Thanksgiving, I'll get back into my routine and keep it up until Christmas... Then do the same thing for that day :wink:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I just eat unhealthy stuff on THE holiday and I LOVE it. Looking forward to it gets me through all of the parties before said holiday and I do fine. Any unhealthy leftovers go to my kids' homes or in the trash. For other get-togethers, parties, I take healthy stuff with me, stash some almonds or something in my purse, I eat before I go and make sure I have plenty to drink. I also make sure that I have exercised enough to have plenty of exercise calories, just in case I become weak. lol No gaining weight, no bloating and no regrets.
  • playitagainsam
    playitagainsam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My plan is to not go overboard just because it's the holiday, but I am going to try to stay within 2000 calories that day. Plus, I'm doing a 5K Thanksgiving morning, so that gets my workout in for the day.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I am going to enjoy whatever I want. Fortunately there are staples that I like on thanksgiving that might not be at the table this year. I don't think my grandma is making green bean casserole and I can eat my weight in that, so that's one less thing I will be indulging in. However, I can't say the same for any desserts that will be around. Mmm, pumpkin pie... and word on the street is there might be pecan pie, too. I work my tail off everyday, I am going to enjoy this.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want in small quantities. I take big helpings of things like veggies and turkey and small helpings of things like dessert and mashed potatoes. I also carefully watch butter and skip rolls and bread.

I put lots of small munchies on holiday tables like stuffed celery and carrots and radishes that I can munch a lot of to keep me from reaching for that second helping of mashed potatoes.

Traditional holiday food isn't that bad if you're light on desserts and butter and heavy on meat and veggies.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving will be at my house, with just my little family (hubby, me and our 4 yr old) So I'll be able to control what I eat better....

Xmas I won't be worried about food intake.. We're going home for the holiday and I havent seen family/friends since Aug.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I only get pie twice a year-i eat my holiday staples. however, junk like gravy and mashed potatoes? i get those year round, why waste the calories?
    this ^^^^
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Nope I'm eating whatever I want. A few days of eating amazing fatty foods isn't going to kill me.

this statement is exactly true. it took you years to put the weight on, a couple days of eating or splurging isn't going to be the death of you. now i in no way think this is a eat 8 plates for thanksgiving, but enjoy the great food and be thankful for it. then bust your butt the following couple days to burn it off. this is the time of the year that you get to enjoy. Try eating what you want to eat, just eat small portions of it. also eat slower so you dont get as tempted to eat as much. but enjoy and eat all the stuff you want.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    We are traveling to see family for Thanksgiving, so it's going to be tough! I plan on taking small amts of the 'bad' stuff to quench any cravings and then eat more veggies, turkey, the good stuff.

Also, my in-laws have a giant dog, so I plan on walking him with my son to get some exercise! He may drag me down the street, but then that's weight training for me to hold on!
  • LisaKunz
    LisaKunz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I didn't get fat by eating too much on Thanksgiving or Christmas....or any other holiday for that matter. I got fat by eating too much every day of the year.

So, one day of slight over indulgence won't hurt.

That said, I plan to get in a workout that day - mostly because I will need the endorphins when dealing with my extended family the rest of the day :laugh:

Then, at every meal, I'm going to take a little bit of everything I want to eat. If I finish that and still want more of something, I'll have a little more. No big deal.

I know I SHOULD work out on those big days, but it was going to be hard. YOU, my friend, just sealed the deal for me with your endorphins comment. My body, and probably my family, thanks you. :)
  • isitsororo
    Options
    On Tgiving and Christmas day I am going to eat what I want, no moderation, they only happen 2x a year. All other times I will be eating in moderation/more healthfully. I have to live a little every now and then, rich foods are a big part of the joy of those holidays.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am a little afraid. I might try to drop a few pounds if I can, so I can eat more. I usually put weight on around the holidays. I hope this year will be different.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    This holiday, due to the finishing of moving and unpacking, I just hope to log everything, good or bad. I will enjoy whatever foods on the main eating days and try to get some walking in.

I saw a commerical about making new Thanksgiving tradition with the Just Dance 4 for Kinect (I think it was JD4). I have Just Dance 3 for Kinect and may whip it out for the holidays. Great way to have fun with family and friends!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I try and drink lots of water, get in extra exercise, watch portions, and then enjoy the things I REALLY want (not bother with the stuff that is only ok). The big downfall for me is alcohol. And rememberr of course that the celebrations are not really about the food, but the people you are with (ok that's cheesy, but true).
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    instead of buying food & drink for the complete xmas , xmas eve , christmas day & boxing day

Last year I started buying just food for 1 day of holiday which still still gives plenty leftovers for boxing day dec 26
    And for xmas eve it is a bottle of wine and an assortment of finger food appetizers instead of a complete dinner
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My gym is holding classes in the morning so I can get my workout in then I will be able to have desert and still stay within my calories.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Drink Lots of Water before your meals!!!

Holiday mornings be sure to get in a full workout. Get your metabolism working! I try to take a walk outside after the meal. I plan on bring a vegetable dish that I KNOW is not cooked in butter. Be sure half of your plate is veggies! Then your meat and a couple little spoonfuls of other dishes. Bring gum to chew after the meal so you don't over eat dessert. And the last big choice for me is Wine or Dessert!

Good Luck and remember a couple days of high calories isn't going to hurt. Just get right back on track!!!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Under normal circumstances (though I'm not doing it at the moment) I follow the 5:2 diet where you "fast" by eating 500 calories on two separated days in the week and eat more on the days in between. You can choose which days to schedule as fast days, so I'm going to "fast" on days when I can and "feast" on some of the days in between. Alternate day fasting is similar, and so is the up day, down day diet. Any of those will give you days when you can eat a celebration meal.