Losing Hope...

Options
I am not sure what to do anymore. I am 5'4" and currently weigh around 143-144. I feel stuck! My weight yo-yo's up and down 5 pounds from there. I try to eat as healthy as possibly without going insane. I ran a half marathon this summer and barely lost any weight. I have just started a boxing class 3-4 times per week. I have been doing it for about 3 weeks and my scale has barely moved.

The last time that I lost a significant amount of weight was 4 years ago but I was working out with a trainer, boot camp style, for 5-6 times per week. I ended up getting down to 127 pounds. Once I stopped doing the heavy workouts the weight came right back on.

How do I get past the plateau? How do i jump start it so I don't feel like a failure or I literally cant do it? All of it really messes with my emotions!! any suggestions!?! im open for anything at this point.

Replies

• crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body need a break? or maybe you body is at the weight it is comfortable at? have you had your Body Fat checked?

I just had a MFP friend that was in the same situation (in-fact I think she was gaining a few lbs) ... she was upset and didn't know what to do... she wound up going to the doctor, and found out that if she lost any more her body fat would actually be in the "underweight" category...

Maybe have your bodyfat checked, you might actually be at a comfortable weight for your body.
  • BrianW69
    Options
    Did your boot camp include weight training? It sounds like you're doing plenty of cardio, and that your nutrition is good, so start lifting some weights. If you lift three times per week I am willing to bet you will break through your plateau.
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has great tips about this in her podcast on itunes. Its called The Jillian Michaels Show and the episode is Debunking the Plateau Myth.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body's just decided it's found its level? Why stress about a number on the scale and just accept this is where you're meant to be?

Failing that, have you set your goals and do you track calories correctly?
  • Healthy_gms
    Healthy_gms Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions! Keep us updated?

Spend some time looking at your schedule, available time and what you can dedicate to yourself and fitness. People suggest to me three days a week of anything and my gut reaction is 'but I can do more, I'm a highly capable woman - I want to be IN THIS' and that moment, RIGHT there, is where I have to be SUPER mindful not to set myself up for failure unknowingly. Be dedicated to stick with what you KNOW you will do. Not what you want to do, need to do, should do, hope to do. Exactly what you KNOW you can definately do. If it's starting at three great days (intense lifting perhaps?) and performing that three times a week for 8-12 weeks without fail - great - after 12 successful weeks, try adding a 4th day if you feel you need it, but only if you can committ and succeed. Then, allow yourself to feel proud for meeting and not over exceeding your goal. Sure, if you add extra walks with family, or an extra class with a friend that's different. That's just my most recent frame of mind I wanted to share with you.

I understand the emotional up and down piece. I'm personally an 'all or nothing' type, and I'm recently seeing how UNhelpful that is to myself. If I can't do 5 days a week, I don't really want to do anything at all. WHAT?! Hey self, on what planet does that make sense? :laugh: Three hours of exercise is better than zero, it's not five, but it's better than zero.

Keep reaching out!
    -Gretchen :flowerforyou:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You might be underestimating your calorie intake. Be diligent in measuring and logging. If you eat back your exercise cals, you might be overestimating the burns you get. Use a HRM if you don't already. You might try also lowering your carbs a bit, focusing on high fiber, protein and good fats. And try not to stress too much about the number. Take your measurements if you haven't done so in a awhile. You may be losing inches even if the scale isn't moving. Good luck and hope you figure out something that works for you.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to why you feel you need to lose any more weight. Ran the BMI calculator for your weight and height and you are in the healthy zone. Your pictures seem to show a healthy body. I would hate to see you losing lean mass so that you conform to some "ideal" number you want to see on your scale.
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
    I noticed from your food diary you're eating back most of your exercise calorie. Your diet trend is mostly pointing out to "weight maintenance". If your goal is to lose weight you will have to have a high calorie deficit + constant workout. Hopefully that will break your plateau. If you view my diary you'll see what I mean :) I consume about 1,400++ calories a day but still have calorie deficit of 1,300+ but of course everyday I burn about 500+ cal with my workout. I have never experienced a plateau, basically I do what works for me. Hope this helps! goodluck!
  • JenJenS5
    JenJenS5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions! I refuse to let me body " be comfortable" at where its at. I am not. The number to me does not really matter. I know my body look better. I want to fit comfortably back into my clothes.

I ran my BMR numbers and my caloric intake is set on here for a little over that number. I know it takes time to lose weight, especially when you have less and less to loose. I think adding weights might be the trick, but I dont want to be spending hours in the gym every day. maybe ill try lowering carbs. something has to end up working, right?!?
  • JenJenS5
    Options
    The boxing/boot camp does have some weight training. We use med balls a lot for a variety of exercises.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions! I refuse to let me body " be comfortable" at where its at. I am not. The number to me does not really matter. I know my body look better. I want to fit comfortably back into my clothes.

I ran my BMR numbers and my caloric intake is set on here for a little over that number. I know it takes time to lose weight, especially when you have less and less to loose. I think adding weights might be the trick, but I dont want to be spending hours in the gym every day. maybe ill try lowering carbs. something has to end up working, right?!?

Weights don't take long. I do stronglifts 5x5 and it takes about 1/2 hour every other day. Then I usually do a little run after, and a cardio class on non-lifting days.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    First of all, I agree with the comments on here that you look good and probably don't need to lose a lot more weight... which is why you're having a tough time losing. But you sound like you know your goals and I respect that and will try to help.

What kind of cardio are you doing? The long, slow runs you did training for the half burn a lot of calories but don't boost your metabolism like more intense workouts. I'd recommend interval training... google "HIIT" (high intensity interval training) for some ideas. I do mine on a treadmill - 2 minute warmup, 1 minute walking, 1 minute jogging, 1 minute running, 1 minute sprinting... repeat 4 times (5 intervals total). On the last interval, push your sprinting to as fast as you can safely do. Then cool down and stretch. After a workout like that, you're going to burn more calories all day long.

I also agree with doing some weight-training. I've heard it especially helps women to lose those last few pounds. I do my weight training on alternate days of the HIIT and add some easy/moderate cardio on an elliptical trainer (so it's a little different from the treadmill). This is working great for me (16 pounds in 5 weeks) but I have quite a bit more weight to lose than you.

Hope this helps!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I noticed from your food diary you're eating back most of your exercise calorie. Your diet trend is mostly pointing out to "weight maintenance". If your goal is to lose weight you will have to have a high calorie deficit + constant workout. Hopefully that will break your plateau. If you view my diary you'll see what I mean :) I consume about 1,400++ calories a day but still have calorie deficit of 1,300+ but of course everyday I burn about 500+ cal with my workout. I have never experienced a plateau, basically I do what works for me. Hope this helps! goodluck!

So you consume about 1400 calories daily and burn 500 cal daily for a net of 900? Which is a calorie deficit of 1300 daily? In my opinion, you're eating too little and you're at too high of a calorie deficit.
  • JenJenS5
    Options
    So you consume about 1400 calories daily and burn 500 cal daily for a net of 900? Which is a calorie deficit of 1300 daily? In my opinion, you're eating too little and you're at too high of a calorie deficit.
    [/quote]

I usually try and eat back most of my work out calories. I make sure that my Net is around my BMR
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Once I stopped doing the heavy workouts the weight came right back on.

So, you gained weight after a decrease in activity...
  • JenJenS5
    Options
    First of all, I agree with the comments on here that you look good and probably don't need to lose a lot more weight... which is why you're having a tough time losing. But you sound like you know your goals and I respect that and will try to help.

What kind of cardio are you doing? The long, slow runs you did training for the half burn a lot of calories but don't boost your metabolism like more intense workouts. I'd recommend interval training... google "HIIT" (high intensity interval training) for some ideas. I do mine on a treadmill - 2 minute warmup, 1 minute walking, 1 minute jogging, 1 minute running, 1 minute sprinting... repeat 4 times (5 intervals total). On the last interval, push your sprinting to as fast as you can safely do. Then cool down and stretch. After a workout like that, you're going to burn more calories all day long.

I also agree with doing some weight-training. I've heard it especially helps women to lose those last few pounds. I do my weight training on alternate days of the HIIT and add some easy/moderate cardio on an elliptical trainer (so it's a little different from the treadmill). This is working great for me (16 pounds in 5 weeks) but I have quite a bit more weight to lose than you.

Hope this helps!

I do boxing for my cardio right now. It is pretty much nothing but interval training. I will look it up though, thanks!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I usually try and eat back most of my work out calories. I make sure that my Net is around my BMR

My apologies. I was responding to someone else who commented on your thread.

My advice for you would be to resume the heavy workouts.
  • JenJenS5
    Options

What i was doing wasnt healthy. Id be at the gym for 2.5 hours non stop working out. I ended up tearing my meniscus because of it....
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

What i was doing wasnt healthy. Id be at the gym for 2.5 hours non stop working out. I ended up tearing my meniscus because of it....

Ok, but did you decrease your caloric intake when you lowered your activity?

Also, how much weight "came back on?" A little bit of a rebound when ending a diet is normal, it's just water and glycogen.
  • susanruss
    Options
    Try reading "The Beck Diet Solution - train your brain to think like a think person."
    While I don't love the title of the book, the content is awesome. It really gets you motivated and helps you focus your brain where it needs to be which in turn effects the choices you make with your body (mind, eating, activity, etc..). I have bee struggling with motivation and it has really givin me some concrete advice and direction. Hope you find it as helpful as I do.