BodyMedia Fit vs Fitbit?!?

Options
I am looking for some kind of contraption like these. I am unsure of which one to get. I am completely clueless. Should I get one of these two or just a regular HRM? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• beautybrainsbooty
    beautybrainsbooty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have been reading up on this lately. Looks like the fitbit comes in with the *best* reviews and affordability. I want to start there and work my way up to a "big boy" HRM lets say. Good luck!
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The cheapest way to go is the HRM...I wouldn't be getting an expensive one. Money isn't really an issue, I am just wondering what would be the best and most useful to use.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    From doing some reading on here it seems that the fitbit isn't syncing too well with MFP and it could just be easier getting a HRM...**sigh** I wanted a new toy :(
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia fit and absolutely love it

I find it to be very accurate and useful. I like being able to see how many calories I burn each day and how much sleep i get
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia fit, and it doesn't sync to MFP. No big deal, I sync to the computer and then put in the calories myself. Works just fine. I used to wear it all the time, but now wear just for workouts. Have a Polar HRM, but I think this is more accurate to be honest.

I also like using it to track my sleep - I don't sleep regularly and have struggled with waking up mutliple times each night (even after sleep studies). Not apnea, just restlessness. This helps me track it to a better degree.

The biggest downside if you wear it all the time is that it's noticible with certain clothes since it goes on your arm. Not sure about fitbit - I think that's less obvious.

Hope this helps!
  • Inkchick
    Options
    From the BodyMediaFit Facebook page this morning: If you haven't already heard, we are now partnered with MyFitnessPal! Your calorie burn from BodyMedia will appear in your profile on MyFitnessPal, and the food logging you do on their site will show up in your Activity Manager!
    *Be sure to have both a BodyMedia Armband and Activity Manager account set up, in addition to an account with MyFitnessPal. Then, head to your Activity Manger, under the Apps, and follow the directions to integrate!
    We're so excited to be partnered with such a great organization and help everyone make living a healthy life easier!

I synced mine but it'll take some getting used to and I'm a little confused. I now show "You've earned 863 extra calories from exercise today" which is the difference from my calories consumed goal on my Activity Manager and my Estimated Calories Burned.

Anyone else sync theirs yet and figure this out?

UPDATE: When all else fails, read the "Help" LOL

What is the "BodyMedia Calorie Adjustment" in my exercise diary?

When the data reported by your BodyMedia armband shows that your daily calorie prediction from BodyMedia and your estimated daily calories from your MyFitnessPal account are different, we'll adjust your net calorie goal accordingly. The "BodyMedia Adjustment" represents the additional calories you have burned, above and beyond our original estimate. You may also see a negative adjustment if your activity level suggests you are less active than our MyFitnessPal estimate assumes. Because the adjustment value is recalculated every time your BodyMedia armband uploads new data, you should expect this value to change over the course of the day.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    From the BodyMediaFit Facebook page this morning: If you haven't already heard, we are now partnered with MyFitnessPal! Your calorie burn from BodyMedia will appear in your profile on MyFitnessPal, and the food logging you do on their site will show up in your Activity Manager!
    *Be sure to have both a BodyMedia Armband and Activity Manager account set up, in addition to an account with MyFitnessPal. Then, head to your Activity Manger, under the Apps, and follow the directions to integrate!
    We're so excited to be partnered with such a great organization and help everyone make living a healthy life easier!

I synced mine but it'll take some getting used to and I'm a little confused. I now show "You've earned 863 extra calories from exercise today" which is the difference from my calories consumed goal on my Activity Manager and my Estimated Calories Burned.

Anyone else sync theirs yet and figure this out?

UPDATE: When all else fails, read the "Help" LOL

What is the "BodyMedia Calorie Adjustment" in my exercise diary?

When the data reported by your BodyMedia armband shows that your daily calorie prediction from BodyMedia and your estimated daily calories from your MyFitnessPal account are different, we'll adjust your net calorie goal accordingly. The "BodyMedia Adjustment" represents the additional calories you have burned, above and beyond our original estimate. You may also see a negative adjustment if your activity level suggests you are less active than our MyFitnessPal estimate assumes. Because the adjustment value is recalculated every time your BodyMedia armband uploads new data, you should expect this value to change over the course of the day.

Thanks for the info! I was thrilled when I read about the linking... but then confused when I saw my "BodyMedia Calorie Adjustment". Your description was very clear, thank you!
  • molliepw
    molliepw Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good thread and I have the same concerns. I went to best buy yesterday and didn't know where to start. I want something that mainly tracks how many calories I've burned. Steps taken is a bonus. Accuracy is a must definitely. My budget is pretty limited I'd say, if it's worth it then I'd get it.

One of the fitbit items I'm interested in is the Fitbit Ultra Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker but that's over my spending budget. Willing to pull some strings though. Hoping people who have knowledge and input about these type of items can help me and others narrow it down. And definitely a plus if I can connect it to this site.
  • RobynBourgeois
    Options
    I have a FitBit for all my "stepping" throughout the day & any exercise that involves steps & have a Polar FT4 for all exercises that don't involve steps. Total investment $160.
  • medibrat
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and I absolutely LOVE it. I'm the kind of person who needs to see the numbers every day, all the time. It's a stellar tiny little piece of technology. And affordable. I can't offer a comparison because I've never heard of the other one, but I do love this thing and would recommend it to anyone. :)

edit: it also helped me realise that I wasn't as stressed out as I thought I had been, I just wasn't sleeping properly! Super accurate. Worth every single penny.
  • fitnessgal1985
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and I absolutely LOVE it. I'm the kind of person who needs to see the numbers every day, all the time. It's a stellar tiny little piece of technology. And affordable. I can't offer a comparison because I've never heard of the other one, but I do love this thing and would recommend it to anyone. :)

edit: it also helped me realise that I wasn't as stressed out as I thought I had been, I just wasn't sleeping properly! Super accurate. Worth every single penny.
    for the Fitbit Ultra Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker right?
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I use the bodybugg and I love it..makes losing weight easy imo..
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Love my BodyMedia Fit Link armband. It's pretty accurate, tracks calories burned, gives you time for moderate and vigorous activity, counts steps, measures your sleep and links with my Withings wi-fi scale to keep up with my weight. It has tons of charts and reports that you can run, and it tracks lots more nutrients than MFP. The phone app also has a workout feature to track everything during your workout and links to the music on your phone for background music.

The biggest advantage was knowing how many calories I burned all day--not just during a workout--in order to see how much I could actually eat and still lose weight. I've lost 25 lbs. since putting it on in February.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Fitbit ultras are not water or sweat proof, so if you plan on heavy exercise get the Fitbit one.. It's sweat proof! I should know... Killed. 3 ultras at the gym and getting it wet! X
  • fitnessgal1985
    Options
    Fitbit ultras are not water or sweat proof, so if you plan on heavy exercise get the Fitbit one.. It's sweat proof! I should know... Killed. 3 ultras at the gym and getting it wet! X
    lol don't know if that's really bad or really good.
  • fitnessgal1985
    Options
    No wants to add any more input?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    lol don't know if that's really bad or really good.

To be fair customer service have been great at quickly replacing! Just get the one if your going to go. For. One x
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alexroet
    alexroet Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to follow this thread. I have a fitbit and HRM (and actually my fitbit ultra is on its last legs so I've replaced with a One, which is due to arrive tomorrow)- but I don't like that the fitbit only counts steps. what if I'm riding a bike? I'm not going to wear the HRM all the time... Just started reading about the bodymedia fit... sounds pretty great. need to look into pricing though. Looks like it integrates with everything pretty well now... Oh but the fitbit is nice and discrete, bodymedia less so. I'd love anyone else's input, too!