carb/pro/fat ratios of MFP

2»

Replies

• gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Okay, so I just calculated my ratios on here. MFP calc me to have 55% carb, 20% fat and 15% pro. I'm more of a 50% (or less), 20%, 30%+ type of girl. What about everyone else?? I have found that for me personally more lean protein and a bit less carb works best and of course, sticking with whole grain/high fiber carbs when I do have them.

I think MFP's defaults are not ideal for the majority. You can change yours by going to goals>custom I believe.

Could you explain this a little more? How or why are they not ideal for the majority? I'm trying to learn about these things.
    Some of the things I've read regarding this have to do with metabolic "type". Slow oxidizers burn food at a slower rate and should eat a diet of 60% carbs, 25% protein, and 15% fat. Fast oxidizers burn up food more quickly and should eat 50% protein, 20% carbs, and 30% fat. Balanced oxidizers should eat 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

Of course, some people think that whole idea is baloney. I think it has merit, but I find it hard to manage. I should eat 40/30/30, but my weekly stats are almost always 50/25/25. Too many carbs, not enough fat and not enough protein.

ONE! ONE piece of BALONEY! AH HA HA HA hAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Oh my god, you're so clever. You should really pat yourself on the back for that outstanding display of wit!
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    I have mine at 40% Carbs / 30% Protein / 30% Fat, which has worked great so far for the 5 months I've been on MFP. I didn't realise it until I started tracking my food here, but I was a real carb junkie! Now I focus more on getting adequate protein :smile:
  • ddhough
    ddhough Posts: 17 Member
    Personally I run 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. I find it gives me the largest amount of energy through the day while maintaining a large calorie deficit (~12-1300/day intake).
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Okay, so I just calculated my ratios on here. MFP calc me to have 55% carb, 20% fat and 15% pro. I'm more of a 50% (or less), 20%, 30%+ type of girl. What about everyone else?? I have found that for me personally more lean protein and a bit less carb works best and of course, sticking with whole grain/high fiber carbs when I do have them.

I think MFP's defaults are not ideal for the majority. You can change yours by going to goals>custom I believe.
    ah ha! i knew there had to be a way! Thanks a lot!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member

Could you explain this a little more? How or why are they not ideal for the majority? I'm trying to learn about these things.
    Some of the things I've read regarding this have to do with metabolic "type". Slow oxidizers burn food at a slower rate and should eat a diet of 60% carbs, 25% protein, and 15% fat. Fast oxidizers burn up food more quickly and should eat 50% protein, 20% carbs, and 30% fat. Balanced oxidizers should eat 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

Of course, some people think that whole idea is baloney. I think it has merit, but I find it hard to manage. I should eat 40/30/30, but my weekly stats are almost always 50/25/25. Too many carbs, not enough fat and not enough protein.

Thanks Cranky, that made my day. What kind of sucker actually believes this crap?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member

Interesting. How does one find out what one's metabolic type is? Is there a test the doctor can do?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Oh my god, you're so clever. You should really pat yourself on the back for that outstanding display of wit!

I agree! Nice one Crank!! lol
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Just to get this back on track a little- I think most people can do well on 40/30/30. This isn't to say I think it's "ideal" or whatever, but that for most people it will give you a good starting point. I think if you don't know where to start, 40/30/30 is a great starting point and then you can adjust from there to find the point where you feel most satiated and energized, have healthy digestion, don't feel "sluggish", etc.

Another way of approaching this is to set minimums for protein and fat, and then let the carbohydrates fill the balance. For protein, try 1g protein per pound of LEAN body mass. For fat, try 0.38 grams per pound of body weight.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Another way of approaching this is to set minimums for protein and fat, and then let the carbohydrates fill the balance. For protein, try 1g protein per pound of LEAN body mass. For fat, try 0.38 grams per pound of body weight.

This is basically what I do. I determine a real value for how many grams of protein and fat I want to eat (as a minimum) and I fiddle-fck with the percentages in MFP goals until they are pretty close. I let the carbs take care of themselves.