Advocare 24 Day Challenge- will it work for me?

Options
Hi all- I have been struggling with losing about 15 stubborn lbs to get to my goal weight of 120. (I am 5'4.) has anyone tried the 24 Day Challenge in a similar situation? I have read lots of experiences from those that had more to lose, but know that being at a relatively healthy weight and having just 15 to lose- it may be harder. Would love experiences - ideally from anyone who doesn't sell Advocare- just to keep it objective! ;) To be honest- the cost is going to be hard for me to swing right now- but would be worth it if it worked! Thoughts? I am a fairly healthy eater- very little sugar, no "junk" food- my downfall is wine on the weekends- which I can do without for 24 days! Until about a week and a half ago, I had been eating about 1000 calories/day. At the suggestion of some very helpful MFP users- I have realized that was too low, and am now between 1200-1300 for the past week. No change in weight so far. Just looking for something (anything that's healthy!) to help with these last 15 lbs. would love to hear from anyone with experience! Other ideas also more than welcome!

Replies

• meg_liz
    meg_liz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bumping up... Would love any experiences or advice!
  • buckeyegurl74
    buckeyegurl74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been using Advocare for about 4 months now. I have done 2 challenges, one that I followed about 70% and one that I followed as close to 100% as you can get. I am down close to 50 lbs. I have replaced my coffee habit with Spark, with no withdrawal symptoms like the headaches. I eat better and I make better choices on what to eat. I feel great!! The MNS3 vitamins are wonderful. I have more energy, my hair and nails are growing and healthy and I feel about 10 years younger. My husband feels like a teenager again. We love the products and we are now distributors. We dont do it for the money. I want to show people how to FEEL better. There are many people on here that truly do NOT understand what Advocare is and will talk badly about it and tell you not to do it or try it. It is a personal choice however, Advocare is NOT a weight loss product. It is a company built on science, they have created products that help you feel better in just about everything you do. There is a trim line that will help you lose weight but that is not what the company is all about. The Omega are the cleaniest fish oil I have ever seen. Put your fish oil in the freezer for the night and take a look at it in the morning. Look at all the impurities you are putting in your body. Advocare fish oil is crystal clear. ( tried it, promise its true). Without that Omega my joint hurt constantly. So if you are looking ONLY to lose weight, dont spend the money cause you would be doing it for the wrong reasons. If you are truly wanting to feel better and change the way you live, the way you eat and the way you feel, give it a shot. They are worth every penny spent. :-) You only live once, might as well feel good doing it.
  • quitter1973
    quitter1973 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sorry buckeyegurl74 but your only posts are defending Advocare- just a little suspicious.
  • meg_liz
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts... They are similar to what I have heard from other distributors... I am really hoping to hear from anyone NOT affiliated with Advocare to keep things objective- has anyone else tried it?
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I can't say I know much about Advocare, but if you've only been eating an appropriate number of calories (and 1200-1300 still seems low) for a week or two, you're much better off waiting it out. With a small amount of weight to lose, you'll be lucky to get a pound (or half a pound!) a week. Personally, I want to lose about 15 pounds total, and over the past 4 months I'm down about 6. Slooowwwww but steady.

Patience is much cheaper, and probably healthier, than a convoluted and expensive magical system that you have to spend your hard-earned cash on. Just my two cents.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts... They are similar to what I have heard from other distributors... I am really hoping to hear from anyone NOT affiliated with Advocare to keep things objective- has anyone else tried it?

I haven't tried it, but have had friends who have. They haven't achieved anything spectacular. Most of them gained the weight right back after they quit using it. That's because it doesn't teach you anything about moderation or long-term committment.
  • ashleyngill
    Options
    I have a friend who did the 24-day challenge with her husband. They both lost some weight, but nothing spectacular - just about what you would expect going from a typical American diet to a healthy, less-processed diet for almost a month. The one thing she said helped her the most was that she dropped her coffee addiction with the help of Spark. She said they both feel better overall.
  • Nursebeth7807
    Nursebeth7807 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Meg - I don't sell Advocare (even though they tried REALLY REALLY hard to get me to do so) and I've done the 24-Day Challenge twice, as well as used a few of their other products. The first time I did the challenge was last October, and I lost 10lbs & 12 inches in 24 days. It really gave me the jump start I needed to continue with my weight loss. I have hypothryoidism, which makes losing weight especially challenging for me, so being able to see results quickly helped get me motivated and wanting to do more. I lost a total of 18lbs while using Advocare products. Earlier this year I got lazy and stopped all efforts to stay fit. No exerise, eating whatever I wanted, etc. I gained back 10lbs. I started up another 24 Day Challenge about 2 weeks ago, but interestingly enough this time I didn't start seeing any results until I signed up here at MFP. Since starting MFP tracking exactly one week ago, as well as utilizing the Advocare products, I've already lost 6lbs.

Overall I like Advocare because I have had results with them, but their products can be a bit pricey, especially all at once for the Challenge pack. But I am a real live person with a real live struggle to maintain her weight, and the products have been able to help me do so. I'm very excited now that I have MFP to help me as well, because it really opened my eyes to how many calories I was consuming daily. I think this site will help me focus on the big picture and develop those healthy habits that so many weight loss/health products fail to focus on.

I like some of Advocare's products - others I've tried and decided they weren't for me. I plan to continue using the Spark & the MNS packs once I finish this challenge because they have been helpful to me in the past. I hope this helps!!
  • meg_liz
    Options
    Good point... haha I know slow is healthiest but am so looking for instant gratification, haha. :) I may try the diet plan and see how it works WITHOUT all of the pricey supplements and let you guys know what happens...
  • buckeyegurl74
    buckeyegurl74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Why would they be suspicious? I take the products and I believe them. I am not trying to hide anything.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Good point... haha I know slow is healthiest but am so looking for instant gratification, haha. :) I may try the diet plan and see how it works WITHOUT all of the pricey supplements and let you guys know what happens...

All I know is that money is too dear to spend it on something that you can easily get for free:
    Eat at a calorie deficit and exercise.
  • Sferren
    Sferren Posts: 2
    Options
    Afternoon, first and foremost the best thing is you are searching advice from others who have tried it! I do not promote Advocare but am a consultant with another product, and let me tell you why. I got started just to lose weight. I wasn't really interested in the health or wellness side I had been injured and couldn't exercise so I just needed something to get the weight off. When I found Zeal For LIfe I got started because the Protein shakes tasted so good that I knew I could stick with it long enough to see if it worked! Well it has proven to be so much more that just weight loss. It is a tremendous program that is more weight management and wellness than it is weightless! I have several friends who have done Advocare so naturally I begin to compare the two and several others because I was excited about Zeal and wanted to tell others about it.. In my research I found Advocare has some great products but it was too complicated this one time of day and that another time, and this these few days then this those days. I also found that the Zeal wellness contains FAR more vitamins and nutrients than any other product on the market. Now advocare has some good things but it takes 12 of their products to come remotely close to the Zeal wellness. At that point the cost became much greater than what zeal cost. Another point I liked was with Zeal there was no guess work as to what you needed on this day or that day but it was all in one. With Advocare you might not be getting what your body needed that day.
    Needless to say I am sold on Zeal and it has definitely changed our lives! I lost 65 pounds in a little over 4 months and my cholesterol went from 318 down to 115 and my tryglicerides dropped from 1400 down to 155!!! I feel better than I have felt in years! My wife has had 15 major spine surgeries due to severe scoliosis. In just her 2nd week on the Zeal wellness she started decreasing her pain medications! In 3 weeks her Dr took her off her blood pressure meds, Ambien, and many other medications would follow suit! She now is able to live a life that she only dreamed of for years!
    I hope you find what works for you and are able to live a healthy life! I know after my injury and gaining all the weight it was depressing on a daily basis, but after getting my health back there is nothing like it! If I can ever help or if you would like to try some samples shoot me an email at sferren.windstream.net
    Thanks and God bless!

Stephen F.
  • aacourtney23
    Options
    My husband has struggled with weight loss. A buddy talked him into the 24 day challenge. He lost 17 pounds and 7 inches. This was without exercise, the vitamin packets, & chose not to do protein shakes every day. He swears by the cleanse and spark. He has dieted before and combined it with P90X, which did not give him these results.