I hate drinking 8 glasses of water a day!

Options

Replies

• jilltort
    Options
    MIO...only way to go! Water is important and so flavorless Mio does the trick!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    So--don't! Drink to thirst, not to some arbitrary amount not backed up by science. You may need less, you may need more, depending on weight, activity level, how much water is in your food, etc. Water is better than sodas (regular or diet), and certainly you need some. It doesn't have to be 8 glasses, though.
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also seem to drink more if I drink it out of a straw. I don't know why. I really don't like plain water either but I do try to drink it. I like to do 1 plain bottle of water in between every bottle of water that I flavor with crystal light/spark (advocare).
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    So don't. I don't. Don't worry about it. That you NEED to is a myth.

Hmmm. Not so sure about that.

Randomised Control Trials have now shown an increase in weight loss associated with drinking water. We might prefer the earth to be flat - but the evidence says its round. We may hate drinking so much water, but the evidence show it works. Articles on research in Nature (2008, 2010 and 2012)

Did you read all of that? It is a control factor in weight loss because if you are full of water you are less likely to eat. The water has no magical effect on weight loss, it's the act of replacing what you fill your belly with. The evidence is that if you can fool yourself into eating less with water then water acts as a weight loss tool.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I just find the more water I drink the less bloated I am...so because of that benefit, I drink lots!! :drinker:
  • Scott_Chaput
    Options
    This is such an odd thread. People treating water like its liver and onions... Water is delicious... I am halfway through my work day and I have had about 12 glasses of water... Its all I drink.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    I like water so much that I freeze it and add it to my Crown Royal.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    I'm not a fan of water either. I get my daily intake of water by drinking fruit teas or green tea instead so you could try this.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I like water so much that I freeze it and add it to my Crown Royal.

hahaha best way :wink:
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to drink a lot of water if I'm not engaged in an activity. I have a cup at work and I have to conscientiously make an effort to drink from it. I have never drank 8 glasses and I know I never will. I have Mio and I started buying those individual packets of teas an such from Crystal Light etc. and that has helped. I do believe that the 8 glasses of water a day is a little bit of a myth. If you are eating a lot of fruits and vegetables then you are getting a decent amount of water from them so if you/we aren't drinking 8 glasses then it's not an issue. But I've heard it doesn't have to be just water. If you are drinking coffee, tea, or other non soda alternatives then those count as your water too. Anything that puts water into your body qualifies towards the ideal amount of daily water intake we should have.
  • Jalith75
    Options
    A practical suggestion - have you looked at your glass? an 8oz glass is actually pretty small. You may be counting how many times you fill your regular glass. If you can pour a whole can of soda (or more) in your glass it is probably a 12oz glass.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it. And, I still don't always accomplish this goal... but, I do love water now more than anything else.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I was having a problem with it too until I got a 48 ounce cup. I fill that baby up a couple times a day and I'm OVER my 8 glasses.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Than don't?
  • MedifastGuy
    Options
    I hate plain water. I used to only drink coffee & Diet Dew. The answer is Mio. 0 calories, and makes the water taste great! I still have my morning coffee, and diet pop in restaurants, but otherwise I just keep a 22oz water bottle handy with Mio. I drink at least 4 of these a day. This results in lots of bathroom trips, which gets me up from my desk, which is also healthy.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I had trouble at first getting enough water. Doctor was always telling me I was dehydrated. I started out using MIO with water and it helped me greatly. Now I rarely add anything other than lemon or lime slices to my water to flavor it up.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    So don't. I don't. Don't worry about it. That you NEED to is a myth.

^^THIS

Eight cups a day is a total myth. How much your body actually needs will vary greatly depending on a number of factors (sweat output, how much water is in the food you're eating, medications you're taking, etc). If you're hitting the restroom every 2-3 hours and your urine is light straw yellow to almost clear, you're hydrated and don't need to force yourself to drink water you don't want to drink.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think 5 or 6 is plenty for me. I don't mind the taste, I actually like water, but even 5-6 glasses keeps me in the damn bathroom. Having to urinate every 30-60 minutes (not exaggerating) is a hindrance and very uncomfortable depending on where I am and what I am doing. It's starting to piss me off (no pun intended).

I did read an article today that said you don't have to DRINK 8 actual glasses a day. A lot of your water requirement can come from your food, particularly fruits, which I eat a lot of. It also said that any non alcoholic fluid counts: coffee, tea, whatever, regardless of caffeine or sugar content. It's not as healthy, but it will hydrate you.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Just drink the water, why do you have to like everything you do?
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I count all non-caffeinated beverages toward my water..Herb tea, yep! Seltzer water, the occasional juice, I count caffeinated beverages as 1/2 so 8oz of coffee is 4 oz of water. Coffee does have a diuretic effect, but I doubt we lose all of the hydration from it.
    I drink plenty of plain water when I workout, but if I'm relaxing I want some flavor.