70 pounds? Yikes...I'm going to need some friends!

Options
So, today is the day that I'm taking the first step toward weight loss, and wow--I never thought I would need to lose 70 pounds. (Yikes!) Nonetheless, I'm putting my foot down and seeing what I can do when I really try. I've had a few false starts in the past because I wasn't willing to give up my longtime stress-eating habits, but I've got the initiative to make the necessary changes that stand between me and success (and self-esteem and health and confidence--all good stuff!). I know that the road will be fraught with temptation and the pull of old habits as life happens, but I'm committed to making lasting changes to my eating and exercise habits. Excess weight has been a recurring challenge for me since childhood, and there have been a few times where I've been slim by sheer force and carrot sticks, but now I want true balance: not too much, not too little. I want to be able to handle anything that comes my way.

I'm a country-girl-at-heart living in the city, working from home as a graphic designer and writer, and hoping to make my loving and supportive husband just as proud as I think I'd will be by setting this 70-pound weight loss goal and achieving it.

Who's with me? :) I know that friends will make this journey all the more enjoyable--and accountable! If you'd like to connect, please add me or let me know here in this thread and I'll add you.

Looking forward to sharing our successes, challenges, best practices, and all-around life-changing journeys!

Replies

• mpeugh28
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! Good job for putting your foot down. You are making a great start. We are all here to support each other. Look forward to getting to know you on our journey to a healthier being. :)

Michele
  • melanie_197202
    melanie_197202 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I need to lose around 70 pounds as well. I feel your pain. But you made the most imp[ortant step and admitted it. Good luck!
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I completely feel you! I stepped on the scale, and was at 214 and just about had a heart attack. I started in middle of October, I'm down to 205 now and am trying to get down to around 140.

I'm finally getting a handle on my disordered habits, and doing this this healthy way. I could always use some friends.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I started with 70lbs to lose in August, I am now over halfway there, you can do it, just a bit at a time, ignore the huge 70lbs number, concentrate on say 5lbs [or maybe more?] by Christmas for instance
  • mamatokkols
    Options
    Yeh, this sounds like my group... also new and frustrated with myself... even more than 70 to go.... BUT MUST START !!!
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I started out needing to lose 90...I've got just under 70 to go, so it sounds like we have a similar goal :) I will send you a friend request now. I also work at home :)
  • lishaalexis
    lishaalexis Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    The frist step is done is setting a goal! I am trying for my weight loss too. It is such a struggle because when I get stressed or bored I eat and eat. ack. Perhaps we can support each other? Feel free to add me!
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It is a lot of work, but once you get started it can get easier, of course there are challengs but there are challenges to everything. Learning to cope through them is a great goal to have. Off to add you as a friend, I joined in July and sort of came up with a game plan and got serious in August, lost a total of 32 pounds so far and would like to lose 50 more. I want to be excited to shop for summer clothes next year.
  • Jennifer076
    Jennifer076 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I completely feel you! I stepped on the scale, and was at 214 and just about had a heart attack. I started in middle of October, I'm down to 205 now and am trying to get down to around 140.

I'm finally getting a handle on my disordered habits, and doing this this healthy way. I could always use some friends.

I am totally with you. I stepped on scale and was 224, down to 214 now, I would love to be down to 140. That would be amazing.
  • heathersmith729
    Options
    Hi! I understand you too! I stepped on the scale about a year ago and realized I had gained over 100 lbs....it was very hard. Recently my husband decided he wanted to separate, so I am taking the time apart to take care of me so that I can be a healthy mom to my daughter. I definitely am gonna need some friends too! I was up to 325, now down to 312.4.
  • Minnesota_Nice
    Minnesota_Nice Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You got this! Add me, I'll help kick you in the *kitten* as needed!
  • alan589
    alan589 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi shorty

I have a similar problem as 70lbs have to go.

However 10 weeks or so into this and 23 lbs are gone already so 70 doesn't seem quite so daunting now.

If you go with MFP you will get there. good luck

Alan
  • Jennifer076
    Jennifer076 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You got this! Add me, I'll help kick you in the *kitten* as needed!

You can kick me in the *kitten* as well :smile:
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'll add you! I too have 70 lbs to go... I'm also a country girl, so we should get along just fine ;)
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!! You will have all the Friends and Support you will need. Just Log On daily and Track Everything (even those occasional Fries!!)
  • st3f4real
    st3f4real Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am here for you! I have just as much (and more to lose)!

I am a country girl that moved to the city too!
  • ctbloom
    Options
    You've got this. The first step is the hardest part. As with everything, as long as you don't give up, you can take on the challenge. If encouragement is needed, feel free to message me. I know that when I lost my weight, it would of helped!
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    WELCOME! You'll find that being on here makes losing so much easier!!! Soon you'll say...I only have 1lb left to lose!!!!
  • wendylou224
    wendylou224 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You got this! I started March 2, 2012 and by mid October I was down 70lbs and 10 sizes :-) feel free to friend me. I'm maintaining these days
  • katattak73
    Options
    Welcome! I know you can do it, Ive been using the app for a while but struggle with weight loss...add me if you would like ;)