New at this-Having chinese tonight.Any suggestions?

Options
Iv been taking a look at the database and Chinese food is so so high!
I just do not know what I can have:bigsmile:

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    A lot of Chinese restaurants have a steamed menu, stick to that if they do.... otherwise, chicken or shrimp with vegetables, see if they'll serve the sauce on the side so you can dip it instead of having it drenched. Avoid anything breaded, fried and rolled in sauce (like General Tso's chicken) and brown rice is better than white... just use common sense, eat small portions if you must and enjoy!
    :o)
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    shrimp with vegetables or shrimp with broccoli sauce on the side - steamed rice - egg drop soup
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    we have a local Chinese buffet. I pick one fried item I REALLY want and then choose/pick the veggies out of the other dishes and shrimp off the buffet. I like pepper shrimp and beef and broccoli. I really like the idea of the sauce on the side, i never thought of that, DUH :blushing: Egg drop soup is a good appetizer and filling too. Have fun and enjoy your meal out. :smile:
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    First, GOOD JOB! Finding the healthiest options ahead of time vs. going in blind and then finding out your dinner was over 2,000 calories!

Here are some links that might direct your choices.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/chinese-food

http://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/nutrition.aspx

Be sure to ENJOY your night out. It's going to be higher in calories than a normal dinner, but don't let it distract you from your company, life!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Watch the sodium! If it's an order off the menu place you can normally ask for reduced sodium (either reduced sodium or none) Good job and enjoy!
  • hayleypee
    hayleypee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
    When it says cup what exactly does this mean?
    What size cup?
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 240 ml

I was starting to crave chinese food, but after looking at that link and seeing how many calories are just in the dumplings I love, I'm over that :laugh:

Enjoy your meal tonight!
    1205 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi... Just try to do steamed veggies and brown rice or just order what you like but and eat a small portion of it and doggie bag the rest..
  • steffi1686
    steffi1686 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I ate Mu Shu Pork tonight and it was awesome! I use the PF Changs calorie count because my local favorite restaurant doesn't have nutrition info. I only ate half and brought the rest home for tomorrow. Because I am not sure how large the portions sizes are at PF Changes and they list 1 dish as a portion I just used the full calorie amount even though I only really ate half of it just in case.