carbs

Options
i'm new to the whole eating healthy and calorie counting, but i read somewhere about good carbs and bad carbs. i have no clue what those are about. can someone help? thanks

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i'm new to the whole eating healthy and calorie counting, but i read somewhere about good carbs and bad carbs. i have no clue what those are about. can someone help? thanks

Good carbs are ones you like and bad ones are ones you don't like. I would also suggest not reading things that break carbs down into groups of good ones and bad ones
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Good carbs are fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains. Bad carbs are twinkies, cookies, ect...over processed snacks.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Good carbs - whole grains, fruit, vegetables. (less processed, more natural)
    Bad carbs - White bread, cake, cookies, sugar. (more processed, less natural)
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options
    Carbs:love:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Good carbs are ones you like and bad ones are ones you don't like. I would also suggest not reading things that break carbs down into groups of good ones and bad ones

QFT
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Good carbs are fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains. Bad carbs are twinkies, cookies, ect...over processed snacks.

If twinkies are bad carbs I don't want to be good
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    No need to overthink this, just be sensible about the amount of junk food that's in your diet.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Try doing a search on glycemic index. It's a measure of how the carbs affect your blood sugar concentration, and the picture is not as black and white as good carbs/bad carbs.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Good carbs obey the laws and take care of their families. Bad carbs swerve in traffic, use drugs, and abuse their wives.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

If twinkies are bad carbs I don't want to be good

I believe that no 'diet' is sustainable with out 'good' and 'bad' carbs!!!!!
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Lots of funny replies, but I remember not having a clue of the difference.
    "bad carbs" yes would be like candy and soda and cake; processed things

Good carbs are carbs in moderation.
    cutting out bread and pasta completely, not a great idea for most. Learning to eat just the serving size is a good idea because your body needs carbs.

When serious about a weight loss journey, cutting "bad carbs" out or down is a good idea because they are harder for your body to process so even stuff that has no carbs can be bad b/c the dificulty your body may have processing it.

I wish I could think of a good website or something but my mind it blank right now!!
  • bee_strong
    Options
    ohhh ok, i get it now.

thank you everyone :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^^^

Exactly!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Good carbs - whole grains, fruit, vegetables. (less processed, more natural)
    Bad carbs - White bread, cake, cookies, sugar. (more processed, less natural)

Wrong
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

All that matters is calories. Of course you want to eat mostly healthy and somewhat balanced but it does not have to be perfect. Some will say white flour and white sugar are bad.

I love sourdough bread, so I eat it, and then sometimes I eat sprouted grain bread. I love sprouted corn tortillas, they taste good.

Life is too short to eat foods you don't like. My life is half over and I refuse to eat foods I don't like.

These were the diets I tried and failed and did the diet yo-yo with for 15 years:

Low fat high carb, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Atkins, Organic, Weston Price Diet, The Schwarzbein Principle, Eat Fat Lose Fat, The Ultimate PH Solution, The Makers Diet, A friends diet from a personal trainer/dietician

I finally just got sick of it all and made up my own diet with healthy foods I enjoy and smaller portions. I ate my meals from small desert plates and bowls. I stopped eating in the evenings (not that when you eat matters.) I started calling what I did mini-meals and mini-fasts and I lost 40 lbs. Then I found Eat Stop Eat and learned why it worked and everything took off for me at that point.

Eat what you want, eat what you like, mostly healthy. Don’t deprive yourself of foods you love unless there is a serious health risk. Depriving yourself of food you love and creating extensive good food and bad food lists at some point borders on a mental disorder. It will drive you insane.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Good carbs, bad carbs, simple carbs, complex carbs. Always trying to divide. Bunch of bigots.
  • sirthickness
    Options
    Simple
    Good carbs = any beer with the words "amber" or "ale" in the name.
    Bad carbs = any beer with the word "ice" in the name.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    <snip>

Life is too short to eat foods you don't like. My life is half over and I refuse to eat foods I don't like.

:drinker:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

All that matters is calories. Of course you want to eat mostly healthy and somewhat balanced but it does not have to be perfect. Some will say white flour and white sugar are bad.

I love sourdough bread, so I eat it, and then sometimes I eat sprouted grain bread. I love sprouted corn tortillas, they taste good.

These were the diets I tried and failed and did the diet yo-yo with for 15 years:

Low fat high carb, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Atkins, Organic, Weston Price Diet, The Schwarzbein Principle, Eat Fat Lose Fat, The Ultimate PH Solution, The Makers Diet, A friends diet from a personal trainer/dietician

I finally just got sick of it all and made up my own diet with healthy foods I enjoy and smaller portions. I ate my meals from small desert plates and bowls. I stopped eating in the evenings (not that when you eat matters.) I started calling what I did mini-meals and mini-fasts and I lost 40 lbs. Then I found Eat Stop Eat and learned why it worked and everything took off for me at that point.

Eat what you want, eat what you like, mostly healthy. Don’t deprive yourself of foods you love unless there is a serious health risk. Depriving yourself of food you love and creating extensive good food and bad food lists at some point borders on a mental disorder. It will drive you insane.

Nicely said (written)!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Good carbs obey the laws and take care of their families. Bad carbs swerve in traffic, use drugs, and abuse their wives.

This.