Throwing up... do I eat?

Options
I know none of you are doctors, and I'm seeing one Friday morning. I have a so far undiagnosed stomach condition. Have seen 4 doctors, and have been on failed medication for an ulcer, IBS, and acid reflux. This has gradually been getting worse for around 3 years now. I'm hoping they'll finally send me for an endoscopy as this was mentioned last time.

Anyway, recently I've been feeling more and more sick, and every morning after breakfast I feel sick, then from early-mid afternoon after lunch I'll start getting loads of gas, I'll be in agony with stomach pains in the upper-middle of my stomach, get stabbing chest pains, feel sick, burp constantly, have sick come up, and can feel the food stuck in my stomach.

As I'm feeling **** after most meals I eat and want to throw up after 1/3 of my evening meals... do I eat? Eating light or heavy doesn't change my stomach problem. I threw up a bit tonight. I have a history with eating disorders, but have been recovered 2 years.

Any advice? Not expecting much, but hoping someone will have been in a similar situation before :/ I'm worried that if I do eat, I'll be in pain and throwing up, but if I don't, I could end up back with an ED, plus it's not really healthy to not eat at all.

Replies

• fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into a food intolerance? Lactose intolerance can cause these symptoms and they can be absolutely terrible. One of my cousins is lactose intolerant and went undiagnosed for years, had all of the same problems as you as well as very severe constipation and weight loss. Now he's lactose free he is perfectly healthy. I would try drastically simplifying your diet for just a week or so (e.g. eat only vegetables) and see what happens.
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Have they tested you for Celiac disease?

My mom had a lot of these same issues and it took forever for them to figure out she had Celiac (Gluten allergy)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I agree with fizzletto about an intolerance. Look back at what you ate and see if there's a common factor. My suggestion is get yourself to an ER, explain what's happening, and get yourself on IV fluids. If that's not an option, try at least drinking water/keeping hydrated.
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Could be food intolerance, sounds like peptic ulcer disease or GERD to me....

My advice, try some bland liquid or thick liquids (broth soups, pureed soups, etc) in small amounts to see if you can tolerate it. If you can, repeat as frequently as you can and try to get plenty of clear liquids, especially electrolyte replacements like Poweraid to make up for the ones you are losing by throwing up. If you can identify any trigger foods or foods that make your symptoms worse, avoid them. Common ones: dairy, uncooked fruits or veggies, fatty meats.

Glad you are getting in to see an MD....hope they figure out something that work for you so you can keep up the good work on MFP :)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Do you feel this way only after you eat? Do you feel okay before breakfast?

Check for gallstones. My mother had a large one when I was in school and she had the same symptoms. She didn't get properly diagnosed until she had a sonogram.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/gallstones
  • Riahsheronda
    Options
    Im sorry I hope you feel better. I know how you feel, without the vomiting, ever since 2002, during the end of the near (November) I have stomach issues. I cant lay down, or sit up at times. Ginger is a natural way to relieve nausea. It works. You could either look into ginger in powder form (sprinkle a little under your tongue), ginger tea, or getting fresh ginger and boiling it and drink the tea off of it Look into herbs.