Four year old daughter, 75lbs

Options

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I would make an appointment to see her pediatrician with out your daughter. Then there is no way for her to accidentally over hear what is going on. She may be able to refer you to a dietician who works with kids.

While you are taking her foods to a healthier level and portioning them out right, also look to get her moving. Jump roping rhymes can be fun as well as skipping and such with that age. (skipping has other brain function importance.. so do that anyway)

Good for you for being proactive on this! My brother in law let my niece's weight get a bit out of hand when she was younger and she got back to a healthier weight with out too much difficulty.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that you need to see her pediatrician. And 1600 is an appropriate amount for an ADULT WOMAN, not a 4 year old child. My daughter is 5, and rarely eats over 1000 calories in a day. Maybe a nutritionist can help too. But I think you are doing a great job as a mother by not discussing weight and body image in her presence, but make sure she knows the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods.
  • ElleEmmeKay
    Options
    livestrong.com says 27-50lbs is normal... I am almost finished with my bachelors degree in nutrition and would love to talk to you more if you'ld like. Please add me!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I would ask her doctor for sure. You can probably just give the the office a call, something simple like that I'm sure the nurse could easily answer.
  • wildcherryhoney420
    Options
    I really commend you for doing this. I wish my parents would of done something like this for me... Instead they chose to give me whatever I wanted and how much I wanted of it...
    Definitely seek help from a dietician. Kids ARE cruel. I know first hand. There wasn't one grade where I wasnt bullied...
    But having no parental support for me is why I am where I am today...
    Your being a great mother!!!
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Could she be going through a height growth spurt? I know my tall kids will gain weight then gain height. Just an idea!

My 3 kids have always been "off the the charts" for weight and height. Super tall! My older two are a bit chubby and we're working on proper portions and healthier choices and more exercise.

I think you've gotten some great advice! Healthy foods and exercise will go a long way!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one surprised people are calling her a good mom and shes doing the right thing when her child is almost twice the weight of a normal child? A 4 year old does not have the ability to get that overweight by themselves, its totally on the parents. I'm sorry if I am coming off harsh but you really need to consult with someone like a dietitian because your not making the right choices for her. 1600 calories for a 4 year old??? To me that seems high but I dont know.
    This is not going to work unless you get your act together too. If your eating twinkies and McDonalds then shes going to want it too. Figure it out because this is sooo wrong.
  • reshapinrose
    Options
    My daugher was the same from the age of 5 when she had her tonsils out, she got rather large and she towered about 2inches above everyone else in her class.....she's turning 13 next month, in all that time I was watching her weight she never lost anything she would run laps of the oval, played indoor soccer, netball, last 12 months playing basketball, the only time she looked liked she lost weight was when she had a growth spurt.....not to mention finding clothes that fit from the age of 8 she was in womens clothes ....not very fashionable!!! well that girl is now 5'10 and gorgeous!!!! hit puberty 12mnths ago,she took alot of flak at school as you do apparently when you dont fit into the typical mould,but what your doing is fine lots of vegies, only 2 bits of fruit a day, I nearly freaked when the dietician told me that, these are the books I would recommend "symply to good to be true" ...They are australian you can check out her website and she's also on facebook.....Good luck to you's both!!
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree...take her to a doctor/nutritionist. But until then (I know it can take time to get an appointment) here's what I found:
    So, it looks like 1600 is still on the high side, but you don't want to change too quickly. Even if she's at the size of a 6 year old, her highest caloric intake would be 1600.

Caloric needs jump quite a bit as kids enter the school years and become more active. According to the USDA, for boys, 4 and 5 year olds need between 1,200 and 1,600 calories each day, 6 and 7 year olds should consume between 1,400 and 1,800 calories. Eight-year-old boys need 1,400 to 2,000 calories daily. For girls, the average 4 year old needs 1,200 to 1,400 calories a day, and 5 and 6 year olds should eat between 1,200 and 1,600 calories each day. A 7-year-old girl needs 1,200 to 1,800 calories daily, and an 8-year-old girl needs 1,400 to 1,800 calories each day.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/256927-how-many-calories-should-a-child-be-eating/#ixzz2CFPSN1db
  • tracyanne13
    Options
    Lauren - I think it is admirable that you are ready to admit that even a 4-5 year can have weight issues. I believe that we as parents need to take the ownership of the problem. Just wondering if you have had any medical tests ie: blood etc to rule out some medical reason for her heaviness ??? if this is ruled out then it sounds like your awaareness of the problem is getting you started already on making her a Lighter healthier little girl.
    Get her MOVING - fun games and exercises - move to lose and burn to churn - if you make it fun she will not see the exercise as a Chore. hope this helps :smile:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that you need to see her pediatrician. And 1600 is an appropriate amount for an ADULT WOMAN, not a 4 year old child. My daughter is 5, and rarely eats over 1000 calories in a day. Maybe a nutritionist can help too. But I think you are doing a great job as a mother by not discussing weight and body image in her presence, but make sure she knows the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods.
    I had no idea..i just figured her metabolism was probably faster so she should eat more..I really do need a nutrionists advice. I will call tomorrow
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Agreed with many posts, doctor, active, etc.

I will also add a recommendation of a cookbook called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld that incorporated veggies and fruits by hiding them in food kids like. Example, spinach brownies, sweet potato in Mac n cheese, beets in pancakes, what girl won't eat pink pancakes? Mashed potatoes with cauliflower, buttered noodles with squash, just a few. It is a great basic cookbook that offers recipes and ideas to get more nutrition in you kids.
  • ixa73
    ixa73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauren

I have added a link to some pretty good height and weight percentile charts which indicate that your daughter is on the 95th pervcentile for her height. Looking at the equivalent 95th percentile for her weight that's sopmewhere around 52lb. I think it is marvellous that you're looking at addressing this early as it will set a pattern for life. A word of caution with "dieting" for kids it's all about eliminating processed food and junk not "diet" food like diet soda, diet yoghurt, fake sugar and all those sorts of chemicals. I have 3 kids 10, 12, & 15. the two oldest boys are really fit and active but the youngest (my daughter) is unfit and carrying extra weight . My solution was easy - increase her activity level! She now swims, dances and goes to the gym (specially adapted kids program no weights or anything). She talks about feeling fitter, being stronger and having more energy. We don't talk about weight as I keep trying to reinforce it is about being healthy, fit and active. I have also attached a calorie counter for kids in the second link. Girls aged 4-8, sedentary 1200 cals per day. Even at moderately active (which is a lifestyle that includes physical activity equivalent to walking about 1.5 to 3 miles per day at 3 to 4 miles per hour, in addition to the light physical activity associated with typical day-to-day life) the cals are only 1400 up to 1600. The 3rd link is a great website for healthy kids balanced diet.
    My suggestions are:
    1. get a trampoline and use it everyday for at least 30 minutes
    2. go for a brisk walk everyday
    3. play chases and practice ball catching, skipping, hopping (all necessary skills at preschool)
    4. learn to swim and swim regularly or play games and run in the water.
    5. teach her to ride a bike and go for family bike rides every week

All it takes is 1 hour of moderate activity every day and you'll notice a big difference (and staying within the 1200-1400 cals per day)

http://www.apeg.org.au/Portals/0/1841 girls 2-18 years.pdf

http://pediatrics.about.com/library/bl_calorie_calc.htm

https://healthy-kids.com.au/category/25/what-is-a-balanced-diet

Good luck! You'll be saving her a life time of teasing and bullying and body image issues not to mention diabetes & heart disease.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one surprised people are calling her a good mom and shes doing the right thing when her child is almost twice the weight of a normal child? A 4 year old does not have the ability to get that overweight by themselves, its totally on the parents. I'm sorry if I am coming off harsh but you really need to consult with someone like a dietitian because your not making the right choices for her. 1600 calories for a 4 year old??? To me that seems high but I dont know.
    This is not going to work unless you get your act together too. If your eating twinkies and McDonalds then shes going to want it too. Figure it out because this is sooo wrong.
    It's much more commendable than some parents who let their children continue to get bigger and bigger, just because they're too afraid to lay down the law.
    You know, people come on here with 200+ 12 year olds. She's trying to be proactive now, and so good for her.
  • prb90
    prb90 Posts: 1
    Options
    She's four years old, her body has 14-18 years of development left. Talk to a doctor. Talk to multiple doctors; and perhaps a nutritionist as well.
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions you discuss with her pediatrician and I also know that keeping her active is the best way to control her weight. You are certainly handling the situation correctly by not making an issue of it. That is good

I have a friend whose mother made her diet, purged her w/laxatives and focused on her weight so much as a child, even though she was normal size, that she developed an eating disorder. She has had major gastric bypass surgery and regained all the weight she lost and more. She has major problems with anyone of anything telling her what she should eat.

You might want to consider karate. Not only does it give great exercise,it give self confidence, poise and leadership
  • aimforpeace
    aimforpeace Posts: 8 Member
    Options

It doesn't appear that 1600 calories is that unreasonable, depending on how active she is. According to the Mayo Clinic 1200-1800 calories is normal for a 4-8 year old girl, depending on growth and activity. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nutrition-for-kids/NU00606

Here is a great resource for encouraging healthy eating and activity at home. It has lots of cool ideas for games, and activities that can be done anywhere. http://decoda.ca/wp-content/files_flutter/1314125129HOP_resource.pdf
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    I agree...take her to a doctor/nutritionist. But until then (I know it can take time to get an appointment) here's what I found:
    So, it looks like 1600 is still on the high side, but you don't want to change too quickly. Even if she's at the size of a 6 year old, her highest caloric intake would be 1600.

Caloric needs jump quite a bit as kids enter the school years and become more active. According to the USDA, for boys, 4 and 5 year olds need between 1,200 and 1,600 calories each day, 6 and 7 year olds should consume between 1,400 and 1,800 calories. Eight-year-old boys need 1,400 to 2,000 calories daily. For girls, the average 4 year old needs 1,200 to 1,400 calories a day, and 5 and 6 year olds should eat between 1,200 and 1,600 calories each day. A 7-year-old girl needs 1,200 to 1,800 calories daily, and an 8-year-old girl needs 1,400 to 1,800 calories each day.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/256927-how-many-calories-should-a-child-be-eating/#ixzz2CFPSN1db

Thankyou! I needed a rough estimate of where her calories SHOULD be. I will still call the doctor tomorrow even though I already have an appointment scheduled for a little later this month.
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    Hi Lauren

I have added a link to some pretty good height and weight percentile charts which indicate that your daughter is on the 95th pervcentile for her height. Looking at the equivalent 95th percentile for her weight that's sopmewhere around 52lb. I think it is marvellous that you're looking at addressing this early as it will set a pattern for life. A word of caution with "dieting" for kids it's all about eliminating processed food and junk not "diet" food like diet soda, diet yoghurt, fake sugar and all those sorts of chemicals. I have 3 kids 10, 12, & 15. the two oldest boys are really fit and active but the youngest (my daughter) is unfit and carrying extra weight . My solution was easy - increase her activity level! She now swims, dances and goes to the gym (specially adapted kids program no weights or anything). She talks about feeling fitter, being stronger and having more energy. We don't talk about weight as I keep trying to reinforce it is about being healthy, fit and active. I have also attached a calorie counter for kids in the second link. Girls aged 4-8, sedentary 1200 cals per day. Even at moderately active (which is a lifestyle that includes physical activity equivalent to walking about 1.5 to 3 miles per day at 3 to 4 miles per hour, in addition to the light physical activity associated with typical day-to-day life) the cals are only 1400 up to 1600. The 3rd link is a great website for healthy kids balanced diet.
    My suggestions are:
    1. get a trampoline and use it everyday for at least 30 minutes
    2. go for a brisk walk everyday
    3. play chases and practice ball catching, skipping, hopping (all necessary skills at preschool)
    4. learn to swim and swim regularly or play games and run in the water.
    5. teach her to ride a bike and go for family bike rides every week

All it takes is 1 hour of moderate activity every day and you'll notice a big difference (and staying within the 1200-1400 cals per day)

http://www.apeg.org.au/Portals/0/1841 girls 2-18 years.pdf

http://pediatrics.about.com/library/bl_calorie_calc.htm

https://healthy-kids.com.au/category/25/what-is-a-balanced-diet

Good luck! You'll be saving her a life time of teasing and bullying and body image issues not to mention diabetes & heart disease.
    This was very helpful! My daughter has been in the 100th percentile since birth. She was born at 9lbs 11oz.
    The links are much appreciated and I will get right on looking them over!
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old daughter is also overweight. She is 73lbs and about 46" tall. She has been 74lbs for about a year, and has recently lost a pound. Her doctor told me that she should be consuming between 1,000-1,200 calories/day, and getting at least 20 minutes of moderate activity/day, like running, jumping, active playing, dancing etc. I was told to cut back the milk to about 8-12oz./day and give her 1% or skim. Also, limit juice to 4-6 oz/day, and can cut it with water. I got rid of the junk food, and have offered her healthier options. She loves fruits, broccoli, raw carrots and celery with dip. I only do whole grains for the kids now too, and encourage them to drink plenty of water. The doctor told me to focus on maintaining her weight and as she grows taller, she will grow into it, so that's what I'm doing. She's pretty much maintained her current weight for a year and has gotten taller, so far so good. Good luck to you.