Going to Australia...Need Advice

Options
maryd523
maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
I am going to Melbourne in a couple weeks, and going to be there for 12 days. Other than the plane ticket, lodging, and car rental, how much spending money do you think I'll need on a daily basis? I am a little worried about spending too much, so I am going to be on a serious budget. I would really like to keep it under $1000 for food and recreation. Is this feasible or not?? We are staying in a condo and do plan to eat breakfasts and probably some lunches and dinners at home.

Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am excited about the trip but don't want to blow through too much money.

Replies

• UghGrr
    Options
    US$ or Australian? Customs in Australia will think you're a bit dodgy if you have less than $100 Australian per night. That doesn't mean it'd be enough. Melbourne can be expensive.
    Perhaps save as much cash as possible and take a Visa or something as backup.
    And don't forget travel insurance!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    $US and $AU are really close at the moment - don't worry too much about converting.
    You need to allow for fuel, meals, outings, souvenirs, snacks/water etc.

I would work on about $100 a day, that allows some activities, some meals out. Some days can be much cheaper (if you take the tram to the beach, have a picnic and have dinner in a pub you'll spend less) and others will be more (if you need to pay for fuel, entrance fees, shopping etc).

Definitely don't skimp on travel insurance - I've travelled a lot and have never yet needed it - but I'm sure that if I ever don't buy it, it will be the trip where something happens and I need it!

Enjoy your trip - Melbourne is a pretty city (and you get to see four seasons in one day so pack your bathers, sunscreen and umbrella :)
  • beansnsprouts
    beansnsprouts Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It really depends what kind of recreation you have in mind and how often you plan on cooking yourself. I moved to Melbourne last year and found the cost of living to be high compared to home (Canada), however it's definitely possible to keep spending on the low side. First thing I would recommend is to cook as much as possible and save your money for something else. If you are staying in the city centre, head over to Victoria Market to pick up fresh fruit & veg, cheese, fish and anything else you may need. I'd recommend going to the Vic Market even if you don't want to buy food. There is also Night Market on Wednesdays there with international food stalls, music, artisans etc.

Generally expect $20-$25 for a basic meal (excluding appetizers and wine) when eating out. You can definitely find cheaper and you can find much more expensive too. Let me know what you're after and I can give you some recommendations. I am the queen of cheap. For coffee, you are looking at $3-$5.

I know you are going to rent a car, but for travel within the city itself, I would usually recommend public transit. In fact, there is the City-Circle tram that is free and drops you off at many of the main tourist stops. I think there is also a free shuttle bus that does the same, but brings you a bit further out to the other museums. Most museums have free exhibits. The beaches, the zoo, the main shopping districts and the Royal Botanical Gardens are accessible in public transit too.

Hope you have fun. This is a great city, especially in the summer. Let me know if you have any questions :)

Tess