Hungry all the time WTH??????

Options
Trying to eat healthy, every three hours...high protien and healthy stuff but not matter what i do i am still starving ate nuts, veggies, everything. Its like my body is looking for something it can't find. I am eating the calories suggested but i always go over cause i cant stand the hunger. I lost 100lbs 10 or 12 yrs ago and this wasn't a problem then. I am a journeyman plumber and am active some days but some days the jobs are less physical. When i work out i am even ten times hungrier.....currently i am not working out but would love to eventually start again. I eventually give up all the time and give in to bad foods. I am definately a meat and potatoes guy and do shakes for snakes, nuts, cheese anything high protein. I find i crave bread alot even when i am not dieting and eating lots of it.......any suggestions please help

-Craig

Replies

• Also i'm 6'5 350lbs should i eat more cause i'm bigger......i never did when i was younger
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking lots of water?
  • tracyanne13
    Options
    how is your water intake ??? - with hunger EVERY time just before you eat consume a large glass of water - this helps - also i find about 1 hour after eating AGAIN a large water - this helps me :smile:
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It can be more mental than hunger which is why hypnosis works for some.
    Hang in there and just make small changes until your body adjusts.
    Give yourself some bread and snacks.
    Switch to sandwich thins with tuna 200 cals even with the entire can of tuna.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your diary is empty except for today so how do you know what you eat?
  • I have been with myfitnesspal for years, its just been the last few months i haven't kept track
  • probally 4L of water a day min i drink
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start counting calories. You may be eating too little and you don't know it and that's why you're hungry. I noticed on just the one day you document - you have an extra 300 calories. I would eat them.

Monica
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Eat larger meals. I find if I eat even an extra 150 calories I'm a lot less hungry until the next one. Maybe you're the kinda guy who needs to eat three large meals every day.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Question?
    Are you really hungry or just "programed" to Feel you have to eat?
    I am rarely hungry but get a great emotional need to eat
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I been through this. Keep protein ratio same, i.e. high at 40-50% of calories. Vary carbs n fat % to see what works for you. I find when the carbs are higher than 20% I get hunger pains. Today I ate 2200 calories, with less than 100 grams carbs, no hunger pains, lots of energy. Yesterday, I ate way to many carbs, energy levels varied and had hunger pains- nothing satisfied me. You have to figure out what ratio of carbs (and type of carbs) works for you.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that you drop the weightwatcher's meals and eat those calories in real foods - I suspect you'll get more solid food for your calories that way.

Also, try playing around with the times you eat (I always feel better and less hungry later in the day if I have a substantial breakfast) and the combinations of food you eat at each meal (if I miss the carbs or the fat I just don't feel satisfied). There isn't any one right answer on these things, it's a matter of seeing what works for you.

Or maybe, you just need to be eating a bit more - you are a big guy and sound pretty active so you need a lot of energy to keep you going.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to MFP, and who knows what tomorrow will bring, but so far - I tough it out when I feel that way. There are days when I'm ravenous less than an hour after I've had an appropriate meal, but I drink water and wait for the next meal. If I can, I find something engrossing to do to take my mind off feeling hungry.

I don't know if it's a mental thing or physical. My body is used to me grazing all day along as well as having meals, so I'm sure this is quite a shock.

But I know of no other way to stop being an eating machine than to STOP.

Good luck. I know it's not easy.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, Marvelousmartin! Constantly hungry, and it is that gnawing, bothersome hungry, where your stomach actually can be heard by others growling. It is enough to wake me at night, so I get up, drink a glass of milk or eat some yogurt so I can go back to sleep. Maybe it is the death throes of fat cells? :)
  • Cheryl_Catrair
    Cheryl_Catrair Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I first start eating right again I feel the same way. I sometimes have to "ease" in to eating the number of calories I'm supposed to by starting just a little higher and going down gradually the first week. I'd also suggest logging everything so you can make sure you're using every last one of them! Also, if you exercise, be sure to eat those calories too. You may be more hungry in the beginning but if you allow yourself to eat those calories you may feel better psychologically. Good luck to you!
  • Thanks everyone i love the family atmosphere here, it really encourages you to keep on going. Another thing is i am super tired, dieting or not dieting even with lots of sleep. Do you guys think this could be related? and by tired i mean going to bed early and waking up feeling like i was at the bar all night
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think I know what you mean about the feeling hungover and tired. I get that same feeling when I eat high glycemic carbs, white bread, (or any bread for me), starchy foods, sweets, corn sweetners. If I eat these bad carbs at night (like a pizza or pasta) I wake up with a hangover like headache. If I eat them earlier in the day, I am weak, hard to focus, hungry and muscles feel spongy. From reading, I believe insuline causes this response. On days I eat clean carbs, and especially reduce carbs to below 100 grams a day, steady energy, muscles feel tight, and concentration is fine. Experiment with the carbs. The body does not have an insuline response to fat or protein so they most likely are not the cause of your hunger. Your brain runs on only glucose (simple sugar) in a very narrow range. When that sugar level is outside the acceptable range, your brain takes over and you are "hungry" to increase the sugar level- such as after an insuline spike that reduced the sugar level too much.
  • Today as of now i'm 600 calories over and i've drank 6liters of water at least today....filled up an empty 2l pepsi bottle and drank it 3 times
  • cawtawbaworm
    Options
    Hungry Fella
    Try hot green tea when you get hungry.That usually helps me when ive reached my limit plus I get really hungry when I'm sleepy
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? And why are you eating every 3 hours? It's more of a personal preference, if you feel bigger meals and eating less frequently helps you not be hungry, that might be the way to go. Just need to see what works for you.