The weirdest thing happens as I approach my goal weight...

Options
On Saturday morning, I was so close. So. Close.

Literally 3 pounds from my goal weight. I stepped on the scale and couldn't believe what I saw. I took a picture and sent it to my sister -- partially to show off, and partially for proof that I'd truly gotten that close. I knew it wouldn't last.

I promptly ordered three lunch specials of takeout Chinese food and sabotaged myself. Honestly, I wasn't even hungry. The food tasted like rubber, but I didn't care. I alternated between eating and sleeping the entire day. When I finally woke up, the realization of what I did sank in and I felt awful. I was on SUCH a roll! My energy was up, I had a great workout session that day, and most importantly, I really wasn't that hungry. So why? Why would I get so close to my goal and then shoot myself in the foot? I don't know if my body was hungrier than my mind, or if I just psyched myself out. And this isn't the first time I've done it.

Has anyone else done something similar? Anyone have any insights?

Replies

• tuulikki30
    tuulikki30 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost 100 pounds, I literally left my WW meeting and promptly regained the 100 pounds. So yes, I've been there.

The only thing that saved me the second time round, was to stop thinking "when my diet is over". For me, it's a lifestyle change and a way of life. Never a diet.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    Yup. I have done the same thing. That is part of the reason I joined this, just so I could track my meals and be a bit more accountable. But yes, there are some days that I didn't mark what I ate...on purpose because I knew it was going to be one of those days. I have found that usually the weight will come back off pretty easily after that, if I don't continue.

If you have leftovers still sitting around...throw them out so you aren't tempted to eat them because they are there.
  • Christinesyear
    Christinesyear Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You are STILL close to your goal! It was one day. I was thinking about this and maybe it has something to do, subconsciously, with a "what will I do next if I reach my goal" mindset? It's been something you've been working on for a long time, and to reach that goal has many ramifications...some great and some a little scary! You can do it!
  • Bonella
    Bonella Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do stuff like this all the time, and I think that's why it has taken me so long to get to my goal. I don't know why I do it, but I think sometimes I'm almost afraid of reaching my goal. I totally agree with the whole "what will I do next if I reach my goal" mindset.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I have the same block. Mine is 206. I get close to that number then sabotage myself everytime. Can't get past it. Coincidently that is the number I weighed the day my dad died after a long 6 month illness. Somewhere in the midst of his illness I crossed over the 200 mark. That was 9 yrs ago. I have only gotten below 200 once since then, and then gained it back, and some more.
    I am determined to NOT let it beat me this time. Now that I have figured out what the mental block is and where it stems from, it now has no power over me. At least this is what I am telling myself!

Don't be afraid of success.
  • MizStephanie
    MizStephanie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    On Saturday morning, I was so close. So. Close.

Literally 3 pounds from my goal weight. I stepped on the scale and couldn't believe what I saw. I took a picture and sent it to my sister -- partially to show off, and partially for proof that I'd truly gotten that close. I knew it wouldn't last.

I promptly ordered three lunch specials of takeout Chinese food and sabotaged myself. Honestly, I wasn't even hungry. The food tasted like rubber, but I didn't care. I alternated between eating and sleeping the entire day. When I finally woke up, the realization of what I did sank in and I felt awful. I was on SUCH a roll! My energy was up, I had a great workout session that day, and most importantly, I really wasn't that hungry. So why? Why would I get so close to my goal and then shoot myself in the foot? I don't know if my body was hungrier than my mind, or if I just psyched myself out. And this isn't the first time I've done it.

Has anyone else done something similar? Anyone have any insights?

OH MY GOSH...I thought I was the only one that does this. Sometimes I get so close...and I just let myself blow it by binging. I do not know why, maybe for the same reasons. Like you are at a comfortable place or something. I am about 4 pounds from mine and it is such a struggle to get there! I just have to start over each week...I need to stop doing it!
  • bombeater
    bombeater Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Shrug it off and keep right on moving.

I think what happens to a lot of people is that they'll have an off day like this, and it becomes this Really Big Deal, because it feels like one! But the worst part isn't that they had an off day; the worst part is that the off day becomes an off week, or an off month, and now they have a real problem. Because you get into that "oops, I screwed up, guess it doesn't matter if I eat a whole thing of Sour Patch kids today" mentality, and that's what really gets you.

The key is to shrug it off and keep going. "I messed up yesterday. No big deal. Today I can do better."
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too. The first time around was this past summer, when I was the primary caretaker/ entertainer of a long stay guest. I took her to restaurants all the time the whole season and did not make the smartest choices while eating out with her. Gained about 5 pounds back, which may not sound like a lot, but it is when you're so close to goal!

Second time, it was hurricane Sandy. 8 days of no electricity/ heat. I ate terribly throughout the whole blackout. VERY terribly. Only gained 3 pounds this time around (after all, 8 days VS whole summer) but because I had not finished undoing the damage from the summer, I'm back to where I started before the summer fail.

In my case, I don't think there's any weird psychological issues other than the lack of discipline. Something happens in my life that puts me in an unfamiliar situation (a long stay guest, a long blackout...) and it weakens my self-discipline. I just need to plant my feet and renew my resolve the next time this happens.
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Its nice to see that I'm not the only one with this issue. I got to 199 and stopped even though I had 50 pounds left to go. Strange:huh:
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's called fear of the thin. Sometimes it hits anxious people, people who have not been thin for a long time, and sometimes women with low self-esteem or a history of abuse. Being fat is comfortable for some of us if we have been large for a long time. I would always give up when I hit about 130 pounds, which is 30 above goal. I would sabotage myself by binge eating; it was as if I could not get back on track or muster up the desire to keep losing weight. Predictably, the diet would fail and I would passively regain the weight over the next few months. I was afraid of being attractive. I have been single for many years and I thought, "oh god, if I am thin then men may take an interest in me - I might have to date, and put myself into social situations that I'm not comfortable with, or worry more about my appearance than I already do. I might have to consider marriage or children some day, even though I'm content to be a spinster." It was a whole line of silly, negative thinking that I didn't even realize I had. The strange thing is that the lower my weight drops, the less anxious I feel about it. Suddenly being FAT is the uncomfortable state.

I avoided quitting this time around by reminding myself to be extra careful. Instead of celebrating being 130, I reminded myself that I still have 30 excess pounds, and kept a tight lid on my calories each day. I tried to lower my anxiety about guys by wearing loose-fitting, dowdy clothes. So even as I lose the excess weight, I won't feel that I am getting more attention than I can handle at the moment.

I still overeat. I had 2,600 calories one day last week. But I make sure that I never gain an ounce back - I cut my calories to 1200 or 1300 for the next day or two and exercise intensely. I will NEVER regain the weight. All of the emotional stuff that women like me feel is irrelevant. As long as I eat under a certain amount of calories and exercise, I will NEVER gain a pound back again. My weight loss depends on a formula on a piece of paper or on this website. And it feels good, to hit 119 and know that I will be at my goal weight soon.

Try to remember that being thin isn't some sort of destination or state of perfection. You are simply adopting habits that can be maintained for a long time. Being thin doesn't make you a better person. You are the same emotionally on the inside, just with a few less pounds. You still have bills, drama, etc. People may notice you a little more but they will treat you the same at any weight. There is nothing to be afraid of.

My best advice is not to be afraid of the thin. Your goal weight isn't a magic number and 3 pounds give or take doesn't make a difference. In my mind you are already at goal. Congrats! Be cautious about relapses, and work it off as early as the next day. Succeeding is not like finishing a project and then throwing a party. You have to be vigilant for the first few months after nearing goal to make sure that you don't start to rebound - your body will be very efficient at storing excess calories as fat for a while.