Jay's Half Marathon Check in

Options
Hey everyone!
I am a 26 year old Canadian searching for new challenges in my life. I have been on the forum for a year and a few months, lost 30 pounds and have decided to run a half marathon!! My date is May 30th. I thought that I could start a thread for me to check into(and if anyone else is doing one too, you can check in here as well), to make myself accountable for my training. If I know you all will be checking up on me, I know that I'll want to push through!
The plan is to check in everyday, letting you all know how I am doing. And I need all the support I can get, so bring it on!

Replies

• aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have also lost 30lbs and have November as my date for the 1/2. I also plan to do a 1/2 triathlon in the spring. I figure 30-40 more pounds and I will be pretty good to go. As it so happens training for a 1/2 mara and a 1/2 tri probably will lose my 30lbs as well as let me eat desert too :-) Congrats on your current weight loss. If you have started running already I found the links on this page to be amazingly valuable especially the pace links. Good Luck! http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm
  • williams3023
    Options
    Hey! My wife and I are almost on our one month countdown. We run the Kansas half April 18th. I've got a nice easy 3 miler today...but I'll probably do 4. I got a quality 6 miler in yesterday. This week the training goes 3, 6, 3, 6, Off, 8-10. I'm stoked! Lets go!
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    Congrats to you all for setting this goal!! This will be a great accomplishment for everyone. I can just imagine myself passing the finish line and feeling so proud. I am very excited about this!! Who knows, maybe I'll enjoy this process and attempt other half or maybe even a full marathon. One day at a time right?
    Thanks for the page link aareeyesee!:flowerforyou:

So my start day was Monday(Rest), thenTuesday I did 3.3 km(2miles), Wednesday(Rest), 2.5miles Thursday, Rest Friday . . . . longer run on Saturday . . . I cant remember how long, my schedule is at home(I'm at work). Sunday is back to 2miles I think, maybe 2.5. But I have it all written out on a HUGE wipable calendar that I had bought from the university. Very motivational with a calendar so big!! haha.
    My run yesturday went really well, I felt like I actually could have kept going. But I dont want to push myself, get injured and then I cant race. I had really bad side cramps tho. Does anyone have any solution to this? Is it that I just need to stretch my sides better???? I'm clueless to that. I have to get better pants too, they were dragging. my shoes were awesome, I bought Puma ones awhile go. Music set up not so good, my discman was boppin around, I think I finally have to break down and buy an IPod. :tongue:
    Next run is tomorrow, so I'll let you all know how that goes. Thanks for reading!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • biokim17
    biokim17 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am running the Indianapolis mini-marathon at the end of May. I just ran a 10K training run on Saturday, and I was really proud of myself because I'm coming off a foot injury, and I finished the run! But I can definately tell I over did it, I tried to do a 3 mile run yesterday, I made it through a mile, and then walked a second before I just couldn't go any further. Oh well, another day to rest, I'll try again for 3 tomorrow! Glad to have some half marathon buddies to talk to.
  • Jay_83
    Options
    Today was a rest day, so I went on the elliptical for an hour, goin pretty easy. Ready for tomorrow.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Jay, check out the runner's club thread - lots of support and advice there!
  • biokim17
    Options
    Tom,
    I thought your ticker was AWESOME! Hope you don't mind I copied.
  • biokim17
    Options
    Ran three miles today. It felt good. Saturday is 7-8 miles!
  • Jay_83
    Options
    Ran 2.9 miles tonight. My hubby road his bike beside me. He was very encouraging, asking how I was, any cramping, shins . . . it was good. I went a little faster than Tuesdays run, and I still felt good. Its feels awesome. Feeling like this makes me KNOW that I can do this half marathon!!!:bigsmile:
  • cornboy72
    cornboy72 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Running my second half marathon on May 30th. Start my 13 week training last week and averaging 30-31 miles/week. Will be nice to follow others here and see how they progress. Yeah and kick my *kitten* if you see me slacking :)
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    First Half Marathon in 9 days!!! Atlanta ING.....

Check out the Runner Club thread for additional support -- lots of runners at all levels.
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Halfers!:flowerforyou:

Jay - I'm also 26 been on this site for almost a year and my first Half marathon is on April 24th!!!!

I'm about halfway through my training, and it is hard to get out there some days, but knowing there is a 13.1 mile race race coming up makes me panic enough to get my *kitten* moving! Rest day for me today.
  • Jay_83
    Options
    Wow!:bigsmile: Welcome all the new runners! It's so great to have this forum where we can talk to people in similar situations, from places that we normally wouldnt talk to. So GREAT!!:flowerforyou:
    I am also on my rest day today.
    Someone just told me that when you get side cramps it means that you are dehydrated. I didnt know that. So now I know and I can fix that problem.
    Bought some energy bars yesturday to try out, i ate half before my run yesturday and I felt good, only stopped once to tie my shoe. I dont know tho if it was the energy bar that kept me going, or my husband telling me that I'm doing really good and that hes proud of me. lol. maybe both.:tongue::blushing:
    Long run tomorrow. hope everyone is staying motivated and getting out there for their runs. Good Luck!!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • Jay_83
    Options
    Just finished my longer run today. It went ok, a little bit of side cramps but they went away. Ran 3.1 m (5km). Getting up there. gotta ice my legs and drink my water now.
    I was looking into gel packs with my brother, he sells MonaVie. So tomorrow we are going over to his place and he is going to talk to me about it. I had been drinking the juice for joints and it seemed to help my shoulder quite a bit, so I want to see what else he has.
    And I get to hang out with my 3 month old niece. I'm excited!!
    Have a good weekend!!!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • cornboy72
    cornboy72 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just finished my longer run today. It went ok, a little bit of side cramps but they went away. Ran 3.1 m (5km). Getting up there. gotta ice my legs and drink my water now.
    I was looking into gel packs with my brother, he sells MonaVie. So tomorrow we are going over to his place and he is going to talk to me about it. I had been drinking the juice for joints and it seemed to help my shoulder quite a bit, so I want to see what else he has.
    And I get to hang out with my 3 month old niece. I'm excited!!
    Have a good weekend!!!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Keep up the good work. Gels work great for longer runs.. Ran 3 in the pouring rain today.. got 8 tomorrow hope I can get it in.
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyon's getting their running in! Great job!
    I ran 7 in the rain yesterday, and can't decide whether or not I want to get a short run in today.Hope you're all having a great weekend!
  • Jay_83
    Options
    Had my short 2.1 mile run today. I had some side cramps, so not enough water. I tried a gel pack before i went that my brother gave me and i dont know if it helped at all. im sure i would have noticed a difference if it was my long run day. i was more out of breath today tho, but i was going faster that i had other runs, so i guess thats what i get.
    im pretty consistant with stretching and icing my legs after my runs, kinda proud for keeping that up cause that seems like something that i would slack on. lol. rest day tomorrow!
    Keep it up everyone!:bigsmile:
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    Running my 2nd half on May 16th--Cellcom Marathon in Green Bay, WI. It runs through Lambeau Field and if you love the Packers like I do, it's just so cool!! Ran it last year and had a great time and decided to do it again. :) Did 6 miles in the rain yesterday but finished it and at this point that's all that matters! Anyways, just wanted to say hi!!
  • biokim17
    Options
    Apparently there was a lot of rain running over the weekend. I too ran 8 mi in the rain on Saturday. I did a little over 5 mi today, but I fizzled out on the last mile. I should have eaten before I ran this afternoon, I'm sure it was because I was hungry and just low on energy. Keep up the great work everyone!