I Was Doing So Well..

Options
So I lost 12 pounds! yayy! I was really excited about that bc I've never experienced that.. only steady gain. So I thought I could treat myself. But I've been "treating" myself everyday now, & horribly I might add. I'm scared to get on the scale because I'm sure I gained maybe 3 or 4 lbs back. I haven't planned meals at all; do you think that would help?I work as cashier, so when I'm hungry, I either run to Subway, or grab something off the candy shelf.. I don't want to be like that. I want to have control.

Do you guys have any ideas of what I should eat while at work? What are some things that I can snack on that would keep me satisfied and are low in calories? What are some tasty alternatives to chips and chocolate bars? Any input would be great.. I want to have accomplished something that I can smile about this New Years'.. something that'll continue to motivate me to be a healthier person!

Replies

• nancigayle
    nancigayle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good. A healthy alternative to candy. I also like Greek yogurt. I too am a cashier and I know it is so much easier to grab candy instead of walking all the way to the produce for an apple so I try to remember to bring my snacks with me. I like popcorn for a crunchy snack.
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    unsalted almonds, walnuts or pistachios are good in moderation.
    and i get what you're saying about 'treating' yourself and then it's out of control.
    how about no more food treats.
    instead what about a new pair of pants or a top, or even a new cosmetic item?
    it's a battle girl, no doubt.
    but you WILL win!!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Please note I mean this with sincerity.

Get back on the scale! Be honest with yourself! If you see that gain, do you think you will want to continue down this self-destructive path, or do you think you'll be more willing to make the changes that you were making that gave you the loss?

We all fall down from time to time, and I used to be just like you. I didn't want to see the gain. I wanted to stay off the scale until I thought it was "safe". But now, I'd rather have an accurate record of my gains and losses. Gains make me work harder to lose, losses make me work harder to stay losing.

As far as snacks, the above suggestions are all great! But Gabby, if you were losing before, I think you already know what works for you.

Please please don't think I'm trolling, or being mean. I understand, and almost everyone on here has had these moments. Heck, I lost 34 pounds my first time here (in 2010) and I gained 50 back because I wasn't honest with myself. I didn't face the music, and I wasn't proactive. I'd hate to see you undo your hard work.

Might I recommend a daily "treat" that fits within your calorie goal? Today I had Panera, and the day before I had chocolate. It all fits if you make room for it. If you feel like you can fit it in, eat a serving size (or even half!) and get your fill.
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    Get back on those scales... :-)

I used to tell myself that I would go on diet when I'd set myself enough of a 'challenge' - I know, pathetic but true!

Now when I fall off the scales I just remind myself that I was setting myself a challenge and I've just increased the challenge!

I've fallen off for a day, month, even a few months. Putting the weight on is 'history' whether it's yesterday's history or last year's history it's in the past and I need to make changes NOW!

Hope you manage to push the restart button. You're here because you know you need to be. This will work on your mind and you will get back to it when you're ready... Try to make your ready time sooner rather than later. :-)
  • kelseycolbert
    kelseycolbert Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Honestly, sometimes the best thing to do is to step back on the scale and see what your treats have caused! It's a huge wake up call and sometimes seeing the devastating gain is enough to force yourself to get back into it and try harder... That's how it goes for me, at least!
    Also, don't fear treating yourself! Portion control and small treats every now and then will not break your diet! I still have a piece of candy or a small cookie or something if I want one because I deserve one instead of sitting there being miserable while everyone else pigs out. Just control HOW MUCH you put in and you will keep yourself in check a lot better if you allow yourself small indulgences every now and then opposed to multiple binges on treats!

Best of luck!!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    When it comes to snacks and meals at work, I try to find something - anything - under 300 calories. Although whole foods are better than processed stuff, the only thing that matters at the end of the day is calories. For snacking, I try lunchables snack duos (130-150c), or a banana(100c) , fiber one bars (140c), nature valley oats n honey granola bars (90c), applesauce cups (50c), or even a can of tuna and several crackers (150c).
  • getitgirl11
    getitgirl11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself about it girl! Just remember that tomorrow is a new day and get back into it.

I work nights as a Crime Scene Investigator and I rely a LOT on snacking to get in my daily calories for the day. I never know when I'm going to get a call and if I do, how long the scene is going to take.

As far as "treating" yourself goes, go ahead and have what I call a "cheat" meal, but try to limit those to once a week. For example, "cookie Friday". You know that every Friday, you get to enjoy a big chocolate chip cookie or whatever kind you like--you have that day to look forward to and won't be so tempted to have other unhealthy options throughout the week.

Here are a list of amazing snack options for you, I split them up into the three main parts of our diets (protein, carbs, and healthy fats).

Proteins
    Beef/Turkey Jerky
    Protein bars (Pure Protein brand--the Chocolate Peanut butter are out of this world good!)
    Shakeology (with Shaker-cup)
    Tuna (in easy-tear pouch)
    Greek Yogurt (stays fine almost all day with fridge)
    Whey protein drinks (with Shaker-cup)

Carbs
    Pita Chips
    Instant Oatmeal (if you can make water hot, you can poor it into the pouch)
    “Cliff” bars (they are organic but be careful about carbs)
    Whole wheat crackers
    Oranges
    Bananas
    Apples
    Cherries
    Blueberries
    Raisins (careful about eating too much – they are high in fructose)
    Rice Cakes
    Granola* (careful about eating too much – it can be high in calories)
    *NOT Granola bars, just granola cereal, low in sugar

Healthy Fats
    Almonds
    Peanuts
    Cashews

I hope this gives you some more options! If you ever need support or something to talk to, feel free to add me (: I'd love to help!
  • GabbyP93
    GabbyP93 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Please note I mean this with sincerity.

Get back on the scale! Be honest with yourself! If you see that gain, do you think you will want to continue down this self-destructive path, or do you think you'll be more willing to make the changes that you were making that gave you the loss?

We all fall down from time to time, and I used to be just like you. I didn't want to see the gain. I wanted to stay off the scale until I thought it was "safe". But now, I'd rather have an accurate record of my gains and losses. Gains make me work harder to lose, losses make me work harder to stay losing.

As far as snacks, the above suggestions are all great! But Gabby, if you were losing before, I think you already know what works for you.

Please please don't think I'm trolling, or being mean. I understand, and almost everyone on here has had these moments. Heck, I lost 34 pounds my first time here (in 2010) and I gained 50 back because I wasn't honest with myself. I didn't face the music, and I wasn't proactive. I'd hate to see you undo your hard work.

Might I recommend a daily "treat" that fits within your calorie goal? Today I had Panera, and the day before I had chocolate. It all fits if you make room for it. If you feel like you can fit it in, eat a serving size (or even half!) and get your fill.

I really needed to hear that.. thank you. I know what I have to stay away from, I know what triggers that urge to have more than I should, I just don't know how to resist those temptations when I'm staring at them for hours at a time. I will get on the scale. I do need to face the facts.
  • GabbyP93
    GabbyP93 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much for your encouragement and food options.. sometimes I forget that there are so many things to choose from & that I'm only limiting myself to what I'm used to. I will definitely try some of the things you guys suggested.
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When I want to treat myself, I buy new shoes :wink:
    Just try to not see food as a reward anymore
  • queensturg
    Options
    I work in a coffee shop, so I know how easy it can be to just grab something to eat at work. I've found the best thing you can do is to bring your own lunch from home. I like sandwiches in pita bread, with things like lettuce, tomato, a little bit of lunch meat, some hummus or any spread you like; I try to make it different as often as I can so that it doesn't get boring. I also take one of those one-seving bags of low-fat, low-cal (usually baked) chips, crackers, or cassava crunchers, which is my substitute for potato chips. Then a piece of fruit and low-fat or nonfat yogurt completes my meal. Altogether it almost always adds up to under 500 calories total, and keeps me full enough to resist all those yummy cakes we sell at work!