Sugar is like crack

Options
1235»

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've both smoked and snorted crack and I can assure you that sugar is nothing like it at all. Not even anywhere close.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    zero bites is better than one. I keep relearning that lesson. LOL
  • diinva
    diinva Posts: 57
    Options
    Don't buy it. When you want something sweet have a piece of fruit. Self control

I really dont buy it, but i work in a Dr's office and the crap is around all the time.

Since I quit working for doctors I find it much easier!! Could not believe how much crap the drug reps bring, everyday, all day. Probably one of the unhealthiest places to work. :huh:
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I OD'd on candy after Halloween, luckily have lost the taste for most of it, but have some candy corn left, so I save it for evening & can only have it if I have calories left. So far its working, my downfall it salty snacks, so I don't buy them & stick to popcorn. Self control is not my strong point!
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Actually it's funny because a lot of people who get getting off drugs or booze end up eat a lot of sugar or craving a lot of sugar food wise, so maybe it's like a crack replacement.

Actually for alcoholics, many of them are replacing the sugar they were receiving from their addiction. My dad was an alcoholic (budweiser man he was) and when he quit drinking - hot dam he ate a lot of zingers, ho-hos & twinkies.

As for how to deal with a sugar "addiction" - if you crave candy - have a piece of fruit instead. Or have a small piece of chocolate and back it up with a banana.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, you just have to figure out what works for you.

I wish having a piece of fruit helped. I have wicked sugar cravings and for the past 6 months I haven't eaten any processed food. No candy or store bought anything. On SCD I can eat small amounts of honey and some fruit.

Well--I can binge on FRUIT!!! I can end up throwing extra honey in homemade yogurt and then adding fruit. It's crazy. It's ALL SUGAR with the same effect.

I have to work hard at figuring out what to eat and when to eat so that the Sugar Demon doesn't get activated.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    So you've tried crack?

This is the same question I always ask. If you think sugar is like crack, then you have never smoked crack or known a crackhead.

You are correct. Sugar is far worse then crack because the government doesn't support crack use and doesn't heavily subsidize its creation. Instead we have an entire country addicted to this drug and most don't even know it until it's too late. Crack destroys an individual quickly, but sugar is slowly destroying a nation.
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Lack of self-control is *NOT* the same as addiction. :smokin:

Quoted for truth. Not just in this thread or anything specific at the moment. But I see people use the word addicted all over the place, when what they are usually referring to is lack of self-control. I've never seen anyone go through hospitalized withdrawal periods when they stopped eating sugar, fast food, chocolate, ice cream, or any of the other things I've seen or heard people say that they were "addicted" to.

And yes, I understand the usage of it as a joke - when the person does understand the idea of a true addiction and still purposely uses it as a hyperbolic way of describing how much they love something. That is not what I am referring to here. It's when people use it as an excuse, or crutch, to explain why they can't control themselves when they eat.

As an example - I used to joke that I was addicted to Taco Bell. I knew it's almost the lowest of the low in the realm of fast food options, but it was my favorite go-to and it's what I would tell people when they asked why I liked it so much. But you know what happened when I stopped going there? Nothing. I just stopped going. Do I still crave it sometimes? Yes. Would I still like to nom down a crunchwrap supreme and a nachos belgrande from time to time? Totally. Am I so overcome by the desire to do so that it ceases my ability to function properly and need something to help me through? Not even close. Am I able to practice self-control and not give in to the cravings and pass the Taco Bell, go home and make myself dinner? Yup. If I do happen to splurge and have a Doritos Loco Taco one day, like I did when they came out do I suddenly spiral downwards into a horrific cycle of eating Taco Bell all the time again? Nope, I ate my taco and went back to passing it up each night.

So for all of the people trying to explain that it's an analogy and how the original poster was using crack as an example of how sugar is to them, I highly doubt that that's really how it is. It's an extreme hyperbole and, when it comes down to it, just an excuse for not wanting to take control and stop eating the sugary snacks.

I believe we can only speak from our own experience. One person's truth or experience may not equal another person's. There are people who don't become addicted to drugs, alcohol, sex or whatever and tell other's who do that it's just a matter of will power.
    Every person has their issue even if it's perfectionism or something supposedly socially acceptable. We are all trying to cope in some way and we can all use a little compassion.
    It's very easy for our egos to belittle others experiences to boost ourselves up.
    Whatever your issue--awareness, love and compassion go a long way.
    Egos hate those words--continue the bashing.

PS. You should see some of the people in the hospitals for eating disorders withdrawing from sugar and caffeine and sugar substitutes. Agonizing! Looked real to me!!!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Actually it's funny because a lot of people who get getting off drugs or booze end up eat a lot of sugar or craving a lot of sugar food wise, so maybe it's like a crack replacement.

Actually for alcoholics, many of them are replacing the sugar they were receiving from their addiction. My dad was an alcoholic (budweiser man he was) and when he quit drinking - hot dam he ate a lot of zingers, ho-hos & twinkies.

As for how to deal with a sugar "addiction" - if you crave candy - have a piece of fruit instead. Or have a small piece of chocolate and back it up with a banana.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, you just have to figure out what works for you.

Alcohol turns to sugar in your blood, so that makes sense. Cocaine doe NOT turn to sugar in your blood. Rather it, it elevates your central nervous system. It's actually the opposite of alcohol.

Actually, WendyT., you're way off on that one...Alcohol neither "turns to sugar in the blood" nor gets broken down and metabolized in the same way as carbs, proteins, and fats. It is it's own separate entity (nutrient) which provides 7 cals per gram and is metabolized strictly by the liver as apposed to C/P/F which employ a complex combination of pancreatic and gastric enzymes to break down to their elemental forms. You might want to Google that one. Try "metabolic pathway of alcohol".

Thank you for the correction. I was thinking in terms of how it raises your blood sugars.

http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_and_nutrition/page4.htm

You're welcome. But, actually, I think you are still confused on this one. The consumption of alcohol does not directly raise blood glucose levels at all. As a matter of fact it can lead to a sharp blood glucose drop in diabetics when consumed on an empty stomach. (You might want to re-read the article you referrenced as this is what it's saying). The way overconsumption of alcohol over time (ie: alcoholism) contributes long term to the development of diabetes (the high blood glucose you are referring to) is by interupting the normal action of insulin therefore forcing the body to breakdown glycogen for glucose energy requirements. Over time, to be simplistic, this "stress" on the action of the beta cells of the pancreas can lead to destruction of their action; therefore resulting in the "diabetes" condition. But, consuming say 2oz of pure alcohol or even more, in the absence of other macronutrients, will not raise blood glucose.

Seriously not arguing...I'm not confrontational, lol...Just clarifying. :)
  • jbpenrod
    jbpenrod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Read this article :

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?pagewanted=all

I don't buy the sweet stuff any more, and taped a skull and crossbones to my sugar bin so I remind myself about it when I bake (which is not that often).:wink:

I think you need to stay away until you lose the cravings. Then you can try moderation by buying one small thing, and eating it slowly and mindfully.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've both smoked and snorted crack and I can assure you that sugar is nothing like it at all. Not even anywhere close.

:wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    So you've tried crack?

This is the same question I always ask. If you think sugar is like crack, then you have never smoked crack or known a crackhead.

You are correct. Sugar is far worse then crack because the government doesn't support crack use and doesn't heavily subsidize its creation. Instead we have an entire country addicted to this drug and most don't even know it until it's too late. Crack destroys an individual quickly, but sugar is slowly destroying a nation.

Crack is certainly more fun than sugar, but crystal meth is the best. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Alcohol turns to sugar in your blood, so that makes sense. Cocaine doe NOT turn to sugar in your blood. Rather it, it elevates your central nervous system. It's actually the opposite of alcohol.

Actually, WendyT., you're way off on that one...Alcohol neither "turns to sugar in the blood" nor gets broken down and metabolized in the same way as carbs, proteins, and fats. It is it's own separate entity (nutrient) which provides 7 cals per gram and is metabolized strictly by the liver as apposed to C/P/F which employ a complex combination of pancreatic and gastric enzymes to break down to their elemental forms. You might want to Google that one. Try "metabolic pathway of alcohol".

Thank you for the correction. I was thinking in terms of how it raises your blood sugars.

http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_and_nutrition/page4.htm

You're welcome. But, actually, I think you are still confused on this one. The consumption of alcohol does not directly raise blood glucose levels at all. As a matter of fact it can lead to a sharp blood glucose drop in diabetics when consumed on an empty stomach. (You might want to re-read the article you referrenced as this is what it's saying). The way overconsumption of alcohol over time (ie: alcoholism) contributes long term to the development of diabetes (the high blood glucose you are referring to) is by interupting the normal action of insulin therefore forcing the body to breakdown glycogen for glucose energy requirements. Over time, to be simplistic, this "stress" on the action of the beta cells of the pancreas can lead to destruction of their action; therefore resulting in the "diabetes" condition. But, consuming say 2oz of pure alcohol or even more, in the absence of other macronutrients, will not raise blood glucose.

Seriously not arguing...I'm not confrontational, lol...Just clarifying. :)

Thanks! I just know that my mother-in-law was diabetic and she could not drink alcohol because it would skyrocket her blood sugars. Maybe it's different with diabetics.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    So you've tried crack?

SUGAR is destroying our nation?
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Eat a Tbls. of raw sugar. It's not that great!

says you!

A guilty secret of mine (not that it will be now!) is that I eat spoonfulls of granulated stevia. It's the best thing since sliced bread!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    So you've tried crack?

Crack is certainly more fun than sugar, but crystal meth is the best. :laugh:

Meth, crack, crank, whateveryouwannacallit.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Its MUCH easier for me to resist the first bite than the second.
    :drinker:
  • Momma_of3
    Momma_of3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    understand your analogy, sugar is very addicting. I have just started keeping my food journal, and I seem to go over on sugar everyday. I feel as though I have cut back majorly in the past week too! I suppose if I cut more and more of my sugar intake, then I will see more weight loss. I have the choice to cut back more I guess.