Money or Time ?

Options
louiseshaw88
louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
Hi All,

Just need some opinions on what you would do in my situation - Ive applied for 2 jobs and been asked back for second interviews on both jobs, Job A would give me a £8k pay rise per annum Job B would give me 15 weeks holiday a year on the same wage I am on now

Although I would love an extra £8k a year the 15 weeks paid holidays are a huge pull !! I could do with the extra cash (couldnt we all!) but im not going to starve and be evicted if I go for Job B if you see what I mean

What would you choose A (Money) or B (Time Off) ?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    To me, time off is far more important.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't think many people say, "I wish I spent more time at work," while on their deathbeds.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    time .. time and time .... the government can;t tax it !
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't think many people say, "I wish I spent more time at work," while on their deathbeds.

True but 8k is a big pay rise and I would get a fair bit of time off so could enjoy that time off more as id have more disposable income x
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would go for the extra money, work out how much 15 days holiday will cost you as you will most likely want to do more on the days off which will cost you money, so by taking the extra holiday you will probably end up with less money.
  • sho3girl
    Options
    I would go for the extra money, work out how much 15 days holiday will cost you as you will most likely want to do more on the days off which will cost you money, so by taking the extra holiday you will probably end up with less money.

it's 15 weeks holiday !
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    15 weeks, not days. That's huge. I don't know what 8 pounds means, in terms of money, but 15 weeks is a lot. I'd take it. And, it doesn't have to cost you more for time off. My favorite time is when I just stay home. I enjoy that more than vacations. I think I'm done travelling. Lol.
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    time .. time and time .... the government can;t tax it !

Excellent answer !!!
    More cash is great but your lifestyle and tastes will stretch to meet the money, and then it can be difficult to scale back the way again when life changes. The extra time however can be spent doing stuff you enjoy doing and those experiences will last you your lifetime.
    10 years ago I'd say take the cash every time....now, I'd say take the time
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you need the money.

I would choose time before money, but if I was in a difficult financial situation, then I would go for the money.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    How do the jobs compare apart from the money/time difference? Better career prospects in one? Less commute on the other? I think basing it on one factor alone might leave you with the wrong job two years down the line ... Unless it is a short term thing anyways, these things might be important too. If they have no other distinguishing features, go for the time - you can always earn more money but you can never buy more time!
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    When you do the math, you are making more per week if you take the 15 week paid vacation deal... Although you would be making $8k more with the other job, your hourly rate (or weekly rate) is less.

Take the job offering 15 week paid vacation and use all of your vacation days!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    15 weeks, not days. That's huge. I don't know what 8 pounds means, in terms of money, but 15 weeks is a lot. I'd take it. And, it doesn't have to cost you more for time off. My favorite time is when I just stay home. I enjoy that more than vacations. I think I'm done travelling. Lol.

Totally agree with this!

15 weeks paid vacation is fantastic! I'm jealous!
  • rachjenn
    Options
    I'd go for the extra holidays! Like someone's said, they can't tax you for time off :-)
    I get a day off per week in my usual job so on my day off I've looked into other things and now have a mini-2nd job doing something extra I love (and get paid for!!) so you could always do something like this IF you don't know what do to for the 15 weeks!!

Good luck for the interviews :)
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    i usually go with the money...

i'm a person that works anywhere from 50-78 hrs a week though.. soooo.. hahaha.. but at the same time i can usually take time off whenever i want.. and i like my time off.. in the end.. i'm no help.. lol
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I work. All. The. Time. Just for *my* sanity, take the job with 15 weeks off. Do eeeet!
  • sicoe17
    sicoe17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Man, I get 23 PTO (paid time off) days a year and that's considered a lot where I live. The US in general isn't very good about vacation time.

My vote is the 15 weeks holiday, for sure. Unless you are going to starve.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of anyone, ever, anywhere, getting 15weeks PTO. i would definitely go with the PTO, unless you get a considerable amount of PTO at the other job. If franks is comprable to US dollars I would take the 15 weeks over 8k in a heartbeat!
  • sho3girl
    Options
    Is this job with the 15 weeks holiday where you live? if so I need to move further north!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of anyone, ever, anywhere, getting 15weeks PTO. i would definitely go with the PTO, unless you get a considerable amount of PTO at the other job. If franks is comprable to US dollars I would take the 15 weeks over 8k in a heartbeat!

I think in Europe, it is pretty common for them to get a lot more time off then we do in the states.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just turned down a promotion at work because it would mean working nights, which would mean not seeing my kids other than two days a week. Time is definitely more important than money to me, especially the priceless time spent with my family