THANKSGIVING

Options
Is anyone else driving themselves crazy over Thanksgiving? Or am I the only obsessive weirdo :huh: I think I will eat ok and make smart choices but It will take hours to log every little miscellaneous item. Not sure if I will.:blushing: How are you guys planning on doing it?

Replies

• jamielynn020610
    jamielynn020610 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else driving themselves crazy over Thanksgiving? Or am I the only obsessive weirdo :huh: I think I will eat ok and make smart choices but It will take hours to log every little miscellaneous item. Not sure if I will.:blushing: How are you guys planning on doing it?

Since it is just going to be me, Curtis and his dad I should be ok while at his dad's house. But I am not sure how I am going to do when we go see his family. I am just going to eat a big breakfast and than not eat so much during the day.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Enjoy the holiday and then get back on track the next day
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    just put thanksgiving 1200 cals (or your allowed amount) & call it a day! lol im doing the turkey trot that morning so i'll have a few extra to use :wink:
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I didnt even think about logging it all in!! Oh my...

I planned on getting up and going for my run to burn some extra calories and then just try to be smart but not OCD about it. Maybe not the best plan.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Make things healthier for yourself...if your going to someone's house bring something healthy you can enjoy : )
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

I was losing during Thanksgiving last year and this year I am maintaining. I loaded up on the healthier veg (not the stuff coated in creams, cheese or other wise loaded in calories) and turkey (no skin). I ate small quantities of the more unhealthy dishes. I ate one slice of the pie of my choosing. I didn't log any of it and didn't gain any weight from one meal that was higher in calories than normal.

Don't go overboard, eat small amounts of the indulgent stuff and don't sweat it. You could log every morsel but it really isn't necessary unless logging is the only thing that will keep you from absolutely pigging out.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about Thanksgiving. Eat whatever you want that day, but be prepared to go back to your usual diet the next day. No picking at leftover pie after Turkey day! You'll gain a couple of lbs. so don't look at the scale for a couple of days, but you'll lose the lbs by the end of the week if you go back to a healthy lifestyle.

If you want to repair some of the damage before it occurs go on a run Thanksgiving morning. Your body will burn more calories throughout the day.
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    But are you logging? I'm thinking am I going to ask them to save every food wrapper and write down every ingredient they used so I can log as close as possible- a stick of butter as opposed to using applesauce for baking for example makes a huge calorie and fat difference. I wish MFP just had a Thanksgiving option in the food items lol. :ohwell:
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Don't even worry about logging- one day is not going to set you back. Try for reasonable portion sizes and get a workout in if you can. Enjoy the holiday and time with family!
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    just put thanksgiving 1200 cals (or your allowed amount) & call it a day! lol im doing the turkey trot that morning so i'll have a few extra to use :wink:
    LUCKY!! Good for you!!! I need to do that next year!!
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the goodies, but use moderation...or give yourself a cheat meal. (Not a cheat 'day,' just a cheat 'meal.')
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you really enjoy in reasonable portions. Don't binge, gorge or stuff yourself to maximum capacacity, but don't deprive yourself of enjoyment. Don't eat stuff that you really don't like just to be polite. I trimmed a few dishes off of my menu because no one likes them that much, even though they're traditional. Either log the best you can, or take a holiday from logging for one day. One day will not make or break you.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm working out in the morning (I already signed up to take a class so I am locked in!) and eating healthy and logging during the day. I'm not logging dinner--I'm going to enjoy the food but stop eating when I'm satisfied (no polishing off pie if I'm full after turkey).

Next day, I'll be right back on track. I'm treating the holidays as one meal each (dinner) because in my family that's the time that we sit down together. 3 meals over the holidays didn't result in my weight gain and I'm not going to drive myself crazy logging it--especially when I doubt it will be accurate since I'm not cooking.
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I like the responses here...maybe select healthy foods, first, and then for the room you have on your plate, a little of the more high calorie stuff. If you have time, get in some kind of a work out. But, don't obsess. One day will not ruin you for life! Enjoy your day, and your family!

I know for me, it is a 4 day weekend. My family brings so much stuff, and it's only me, my daughter, and hubby concerned about eating well. I tend to not do well in those situations.

Good luck! Gobble Gobble! Not literally!
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm going for a run in the morning. Then, we plan to make all our recipes the same as usual (Sausage Stuffing, Bird basted with butter and Crème Fraîche Mashed Potatoes are the best). I plan to log everything and see a big fat red number on the day -- I'm going to enjoy the heck out of the red number too.

Its not cheating, its not falling off the wagon, its Thanksgiving -- yum!
  • omgjennielee
    Options
    I'm totally going to enjoy my holiday :) not going to over stuff myself, but im certainly not going to resist a second plate or pie ;) i may just quick add 2000-3000 calories and save myself the hardship of logging it all, plus i have to go to mine AND my boyfriends houses for dinners and i have the the over night shift for black friday (9pm thursday to 10:30 friday morning :( ) so i don't/ wont have much time to go though everything i ate...unless i want to give up family time, which isn't cool with me.
  • mathombleson
    Options
    Just getting started on this site but . . .. Take 1 spoonful of whatever you want but only one spoonful. Another idea is to log what you think you might eat before you go to the feast. Then you have an opportunity to change your mind before you eat it and are totally shocked at what you just ate.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to just eat the vegetables that are offered. Even if they are slathered with butter and things, I feel like I'll still be trying to do better. And I'm going to bring a large iced tea with me so I won't be drinking any calories on top of it all!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is 1 day. Enjoy the holiday and get back on track Friday.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    On Thanksgiving, you should eat everything for which you can be thankful and mindful.