Question about fruit and sugar

Options
HI! I'm having a tough time with the fruit and sugar thing. I'm not sure what to do so I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm not eating much fruit because it seems like I am always going over on my sugar allowance for other things. Yogert, general foods, ect. I do have a chocolate treat daily but its always some dark chocolate. Please tell me I don't have to give this up? I'm allowed 24 g. a day of sugar and I am usually about 10-20 over each day. I've read that we really don't have to count good sugar, like fruits, good foods, ect. Is this true? I swear, I'm constantly playing with my meal plan to try to get the calories in without going over, but its getting really hard!! Any suggestions?

Replies

• kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    this drove me crazy at first because i was only getting sugar from fruit and yogurt and still going over. eventually i just took sugar off my log and stopped tracking it. I know i dont over do it. so i dont even worry about it anymore.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You don't have to worry about the sugars from whole fruits or milk sugars. It's added sugars that are the problem. :)
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    24g is supposed to be refined/added sugar

the sugar in dairy products and the sugar in fruit and vegetables is naturally occuring, if when consumed from whole foods is good for you, however they haven't been able to seperate where the sugar is from in food, so its all listed as sugar, therefore the sugar tracker on this site isn't really relevant. I go significantly over every day from eating whole natural foods.
    If your eating unrefined foods not things with lots of refined corn syrup etc, I wouldn't let it bother you.
  • mamtz26
    mamtz26 Posts: 22
    Options
    Yeah this has really concerned me as well I have even given up drinking milk and my kids and I love milk and we only drink 1% but it still has 12g of sugar a cup. I love fruits and juices but have not had those either...this is very depressing to me and instead I grab a 100 calorie snack pack of fudge crackers which doesn't have as much sugar but I'm sure is not as healthy as having an apple or a grapefruit daily...jjjjeeezzzzzzz I need help with this one too!!!!!!!
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    Thanks for the input!! So now I have another question...is the sugar in protien bars considered good or bad? I eat prob i a day and I do this for the extra fiber and they are easily access because I keep them in my purse for when I'm due for a snack. I'm really excited about the milk thing!! I love to have a glass of milk with dinner but I've been staying away from it too because of the sugar!!1
  • Roger_Williams
    Roger_Williams Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well, this may be the reason I'm almost always over the sugar consumption target. It's been bugging me, as I don't feel I am a heavy sugar user--I do use a teaspoon of maple syrup on my oatmeal and I have two minicubes of sugar (one gram each) in my morning coffee but apart from that NOTHING. No chocolate, no sweets... and yet I am still over target every day. It must be the half-orange of half-grapefruit I eat at breakfast, which doesn't count, right?

How about the sugar in fruit juices? They come originally from fruit, so are they OK too? I'd really like to be able to stop worrying about this.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Thanks for the input!! So now I have another question...is the sugar in protien bars considered good or bad? I eat prob i a day and I do this for the extra fiber and they are easily access because I keep them in my purse for when I'm due for a snack. I'm really excited about the milk thing!! I love to have a glass of milk with dinner but I've been staying away from it too because of the sugar!!1

The sugar in protein bars is added sugar. As long as you're fitting them into your added sugar grams, you're fine.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Well, this may be the reason I'm almost always over the sugar consumption target. It's been bugging me, as I don't feel I am a heavy sugar user--I do use a teaspoon of maple syrup on my oatmeal and I have two minicubes of sugar (one gram each) in my morning coffee but apart from that NOTHING. No chocolate, no sweets... and yet I am still over target every day. It must be the half-orange of half-grapefruit I eat at breakfast, which doesn't count, right?

How about the sugar in fruit juices? They come originally from fruit, so are they OK too? I'd really like to be able to stop worrying about this.

Fruit juices are like liquid sugar. They come from fruit, but lack all of the good things that the whole fruit has to prevent that blood sugar spike. I've pretty much cut all fruit juices from my diet...and I love orange juice. A little is ok as long as you count it toward your sugar limit, and try to have it with a high fiber food like whole grain toast.
  • pixietwilight
    pixietwilight Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had that issue as well. I spoke to a nutritionist friend of mine She is about to finish her masters and is crazy healthy. She basically told me the same thing BrendaLee was saying. Actual fruit, not juice and milk sugars you don't need to count. Everything else like those 100 calorie snacks, Protein bars, pastas, bread you need to watch out for.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Why is added sugar the devil? Just curious.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Why is added sugar the devil? Just curious.

Ahh, good question. I'm glad you asked.

So sugar is the main ingredient the body uses in the fuel it uses in cells and muscle. The type of sugar the body can use is glucose, all other types of sugar are needed to be broken down and processed.

Glucose is a disaccharide (2 molecules), which means in order for the body to use it, it needs to create it from a monosaccharide or break down polysaccharides into monosaccharides then create the disaccharide.

Sucrose (table sugar, added sugar, processed sugar, refined sugar...etc) is a monosaccharide.

Fruit sugar and milk sugar (fructose and lactose respectively) are polysaccharides.

It takes far longer for the body to break down a chemical bond than it does to create one.

So sucrose (monosaccharide) can be converted to glucose very quickly and easily, but fructose and maltose take far longer to convert, thus allowing the body to burn it slower and more efficiently.

There's also another factor in this, with polysaccharides, you also have fiber to contend with, the more fiber consumed with the sugar, the longer it takes the body to isolate the sugar and convert it. Thus having a fruit with high sugar content is ok as it takes far longer for the sugar to be broken down and used. Milk doesn't have this issue, and thus the sugar in it is not as good for you as fruit, but there isn't a lot of sugar in milk so it's usually ok.

The exception is juice, where the amount of sugar is basically condensed because of the lack of any fiber and the high sugar content in the liquid. Thus even though it takes longer to break down the Fructose into sucrose, you're still ingesting massive amounts of sugar, far more than the body can use at any one time, thus much of it can't be used.

And we all know what the body does with extra energy right? It converts it to fat, glucose that is unused and circulates to the liver is converted to fat and stored.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I understand the chemistry of it.

I still am not understanding why it seems to be demonized around here - and that's an observation I've made that extends the boundaries of this thread alone.

Should added sugars be controlled? Sure... I understand that.

Feared? That's something I'm not quite grasping based on my education and the available data.

Assuming proper accounting of calories and nutrients.... throwing in processed sugar isn't going to make or break someone. Plus, I don't believe we should be viewing things in a vacuum. Sure, a sedentary person who's overweight and snorting pixie sticks while downing soft drinks... that's one thing.

But an active individual who's accounting the the proper nutritional quality AND quantity isn't nearly in the same boat... not that anyone in this thread is implying this.

One of the biggest concerns with "empty calories" is that they'll dilute the nutritional quality of your intake. The research, as it stands (which admittedly can be improved greatly), simply doesn't support some threshold of "added sugar" intake that dilutes micronutrition. If you're interested, I could provide you the references to the abstracts of the primary reviews of this data.

The most quantifiable data explains that for those who are dieting, thus eating hypocalorically, deriving 20% of your total energy from empty calories could start diluting nutritional quality. However, that's my point... most health conscious people aren't intaking mass quantities of this stuff.

As far as the Dietary Reference Intakes go... they put the upper safe limit of added sugar intake at 25% of total calories. I can also provide you the reference to those interested.

And let's not forget, added sugars aren't going to directly make you fat in the face of an energy deficit.

My point isn't to start eating more and more added sugar. Hardly.

It's that adding rigidity to eating seems to backfire more than it helps. Yes, some rigidity is necessary. However, this industry is plagued by alarmists and hucksters who like to pitch absolute statements that conjure up an emotional response.

1. Make sure your caloric intake matches your goal.

2. Account for the essentials such as aminos, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. This calls for healthy doses of protein and healthy fats along with a wide array of vegetables and fruits to name a few.

3. After that, with the little bit of room that's left to fill, calorically speaking, if a hefty chunk OF THE REMAINING CALORIES comes from added sugars it's not likely you're going to be failing at weight loss.

Just my 2 cents.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    well one of the reasons added sugars are 'evil' is that in processed foods they usually take the form of high fructose corn syrup.

From above we know that fructose takes longer to process by the body... and when taken in natural quantities thats a good thing, however the reason it takes longer to process is the only organ that initially breaks down fructose is the liver.

So while it takes time to break down, it not only leaves you with high blood sugar levels,but it also over works the liver.

They are not seeing cases of fatty liver syndrome and liver damange/scaring not from over consumption of alcohol or high fat foods, but from excessive amounts of high fructose products.

That is another reason that added sugar is bad. Not discounting what has already been said.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Do you have links to the peer reviewed data you're referencing? I'd be interested in seeing the study parameters, test subjects, quantity of consumption, etc.

I've seen a lot of so-called objective researchers make claims about fructose being the most fattening carbohydrate, yet, when you look at their references (assuming they actually have some and aren't talking out their you know what), you see that the fructose dosages used in their references are absurd and inapplicable to the real world concerning people who eat relatively healthy, balanced diets.

And like all food in general, we can't look at things in a vacuum. Meaning, it's nearly impossible to judge the "goodness" or "badness" of a food without providing context pertaining to dosage, energetic state, entire diet (not just the food in question), etc as metabolism will vary depending on these factors.

A friend of mine, James Krieger, who's a published researcher recently put out a great article on his blog pertaining to fructose metabolism. It's a great read:

http://www.thebsdetective.com/2010/02/partial-bullsht-of-day-fructose-makes.html

Thanks for the discussion!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Are you trying to say that you believe people are worrying too much about their sugar intake?

I mean, it's kind of a moot point, if someone wants to track sugar, why make a big thing of it? I mean if you're just upset at the irrational fear of sugar on this (and most other) websites, well, that's pretty much universal in the weight loss machine.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Upset?

Sorry if I gave that impression. I'm not upset in the least.

And a big thing?

I didn't realize this was, nor did I intend for it to be some big thing. I'm just having a discussion here.

From your post it'd appear as if I'm doing a very poor job of expressing my point, however.

I simply like to play devil's advocate to get people thinking objectively. Especially when it comes to topics that are so deeply ingrained in the minds of the masses yet broadly misunderstood. I stated my reason, which is avoidance of too much rigidity when it comes to nutrition. In my experience, which you can take for what it's worth, people who fall into the alarmist category of thinking one particular food or food group will make or break your health and/or weight control without supporting context tend to feel as if they're walking on egg shells.

This mentality is coupled with a polarized vision of everything food. It's either good or bad. They're either 100% on or 100% off a diet. It's either starvation or binge. I'm sure you've seen similar stuff as it seems to be a common theme among the professionals I communicate and deal with.

So in a nutshell... my only intention is to help people in terms of easing off the restrictive, binary mindset that is so common among dieters. Apply some logic, if you will.

My intent is certainly not to debate for the sake of hearing myself speak. And because the irrational fear is universal, at least in my world, doesn't make it any less prudent to discuss the facts.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    OK, that jibes with me. It just sounded a little like someone was railing against the dangers of sugar (or any macro nutrient). Which is obviously not your intent (I see that now).

And I agree, there is a very strong all or nothing attitude on this (and many) health and diet boards.

You can absolutely be healthy yet still indulge every once in a while. I feel like when someone realizes they can go over or under their calories every once in a while, that is their "light switch" moment, and they can really begin working towards a better life. So I get your premise, and pretty much agree with it, I just misunderstood your intent before.
  • sendmoretigers
    Options
    what kind of fruit juices are we talking about here? big differences between going to the store and buying a jug and making your own at home(and i don't mean from a package!)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    what kind of fruit juices are we talking about here? big differences between going to the store and buying a jug and making your own at home(and i don't mean from a package!)

well, I agree that store bought fruit juice many times has added sugar. But even if you make the juice at home, you are essentially removing all fiber from the product, which makes the process go far faster, which is usually not a good thing (exceptions would be after a really serious bout of exercise where you deplete your glycogen stores, like a road race, or a hard core HIIT session)
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options

You can absolutely be healthy yet still indulge every once in a while. I feel like when someone realizes they can go over or under their calories every once in a while, that is their "light switch" moment, and they can really begin working towards a better life. So I get your premise, and pretty much agree with it, I just misunderstood your intent before.

I feel like people not realizing this is why some of dieters fail. The every day constant stress of plugging in numbers and worrying about hitting every goal dead on gets to people. They burn out and just quit.

My husband once saw a TV show (one of those reality things that focuses on one person who became morbidly obese and their attempts to lose weight) where a woman lost a ton of weight, but said she still was not happy. She said, "Before my life was all about food. And it STILL is."

I think the trick is to learn how to eat healthy in general. Learn how to make healthy choices when eating out, cooking dinner, picking ingredients... and eventually you can maintain on a daily basis WITHOUT having to log every single morsel you eat. Maybe you over one day. Maybe you come in under the next.

I might be wrong, I'm still logging every morsel, because I still have plenty to lose. But I don't blow my emotional lid every time I eat 1240 calories on a rest day instead of the 1200 I'm allowed. Or, if I go over on fat by 5, when I usually come in well under.

It's all about moderation, I think - not keeping yourself in food bootcamp for the rest of your life.