Olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil, engine oil...

Options

Replies

• kullyg
    kullyg Posts: 17
    Options
    I am boring and use Frylight due to it being 1 cal per spray!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    all oils are similar in calorie. olive and ground nut oils i think are the best. make sure your olive oil is in a dark bottle as UV light can damage it. another new oil is rapeseed, it doesn't burn as easily as olive oil and is better for you, it's becoming popular in the UK now, a lot of the stuff is produced here.

engine oil....lol

Umm, rapeseed oil (aka canola oil) is not healthy. None of those vegetable oils (canola, corn, etc) are good for you. They are very high in Omega 6 and upset the balance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio which will lead to inflammation.

These oils are also very highly processed and are rancid before they hit the grocery store shelves...........all the while your government (just like ours) tries to tout that they are healthy when they are NOT.

I stick with Coconut oil and home rendered beef tallow and bacon fat. I also cook a bit with butter. I use olive oil, hemp seed oil, sesame oil, walnut oil and pumpkin seed oil for salad dressings and such.
  • xalligator
    xalligator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Baking / Meat rubs - coconut oil
    Stir-fry - sesame oil
    Everything else - butter
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the best for no or low heat foods, they suggest canola oil for medium to high heat foods, but this is controversial since it is a genetically modified food. I've just been learning the benefits of coconut oil, which is fine for high temp cooking, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more recognition. It is incredible and has so many uses in and on the body. Do a search about it, a good place to start is reading the article by Dr. Mercola in the Huffington Post. It needs to be raw and organic, though. The one I like is Nutiva, and I get it on Amazon or at Wegman's -- some cheaper brands I've bought don't even resemble, smell, or taste the same.

Hope that helps!

Coconut oil will not be popular due to the fact that if they starting speaking of the healthfulness and benefits of coconut oil, they (supposed experts) would have to ADMIT that Saturated Fats are NOT unhealthy.

They will never admit to being wrong, so coconut oil sits in the wing for those of us that appreciate eating for good health.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I rotate my oils --they all have aspects that I like. One of the best things I did was buy an oil mister (you can just use a spray bottle filled with oil and a little water). This has really cut down on the amount of oil I cook with. This way I don't really worry about the fat in these oils.

ETA: I'm a vegetarian too if you want to add me :)
  • nikkinicole88
    nikkinicole88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to use Olive Oil for most of my cooking but recently have started using Coconut Oil. I bought it on sale at Whole Foods, it's organic and a little goes a long way! It is said to be great for baking and good for you with "good" fat. The kind I bought is a neutral flavor so everything I make with it does not taste like coconut. I like it and plan on using it more. You can use for many other things as well.
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    hahaha you had me laughing outloud in class :x
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    all oils are similar in calorie. olive and ground nut oils i think are the best. make sure your olive oil is in a dark bottle as UV light can damage it. another new oil is rapeseed, it doesn't burn as easily as olive oil and is better for you, it's becoming popular in the UK now, a lot of the stuff is produced here.

engine oil....lol

hahaha you had me laughing outloud in class :x
  • hiddenaudacity
    hiddenaudacity Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I switch between Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Coconut Oil. I read from a trusted nutritionist that coconut oil is the best for cooking on high heat. Something about it being healthy and saturated fat and it helping you to lose weight...
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I only use coconut oil for cooking because it can tolerate high heat. I used to use olive back in the day but me no likey free radicals. LOL I still use olive (rarely) but not in heated dishes. I won't touch canola, genetically modified is not my thing either.

The organic nutiva extra virgin unrefined coconut oil is cheap on Amazon if you get it in the big double packs on their "subscribe and save." You can cancel the subscription at any time or set it for 6 months. I do that with tons of stuff to save some moola!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    coconut oil is full of healthy fats, and has a high smoke point. But its expensive. I use it for veggie-heavy stir fry.
    I use peanut oil when I need to cook something heavier, like steak. Probably doesn't apply to you.

I use olive oil to make salad dressing. I don't cook with it.
  • thebowhunter
    Options
    Say yes to coconut oil.

I also use elbow grease when frying. :laugh:
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    All good stuff. But, for the healthiest omega 3 to omega 6 ratio the best by far is Walnut oil. Not a high smoke point but you can saute with it and use it for baking. Healthiest oil of them all really.
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump, loving all this info!
  • Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What is the best oil to use for marinating salads? I have found that olive oil tends to congeal when refrigerated.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I just heard of palm oil on Dr. Oz.....
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I like olive oil. but motor oil clears athletes foot and ringworm :)
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I like coconut oil because it is yummy. And I believe it makes my skin nicer.

agreed
  • jakeabhau
    Options
    I use engine oil for its lovely smell. When making a stir fry, I pour it directly onto the propane stove. Seems to cook faster, and the clouds of smoke add a nice atmosphere to the house! Way easier than PAINTING the kitchen black!

Thank you for this. It made my morning. I'm going to go make some stir fry now. And paint my kitchen.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Things I know about oil:

--Using Olive oil to fry/sautee things is not recommended, because if you let the oil "smoke", it can cause some sort of bad reaction. (Not really sure on the science knowledge to back this up, but essentially, burning olive oil results in oil you don't want in your body.)
    --Coconut oil is used a lot in baking, and is a lot more convenient than whacking open a coconut or trying to put shredded stuff in a food processor. It tends to be expensive though.
    --The more expensive the oil... the more expensive the oil. I worked at an italian grocery store for a year and had people insisting they could taste the difference in their $40 gallon of EVOO and would never buy anything else ever... I don't buy that for a second.
    --If you take any kind of oil and leave whole twigs of herbs (rosemary, thyme, etc) in it for a few months, your oil will taste and smell of those herbs. Just be sure to strain it thoroughly before you first use it to remove all the herby bits.