HRM recommendation

Options
Hello all! Was wondering if anyone can recommend a good HRM that also tells calories burned?? Has anyone heard or is using the 'bug"?? Thanks! :)

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Polar is a good brand, I believe all of their models correlate HR and calories. I use an F6 and it's been fine for me for about 2 years now. A lot depends on what you want to do with it. The prices for a decent HRM range anywhere from 50 bucks to 500 bucks depending on how sophisticated you want to get, and what you need it to do. (I.E. a professional triathlete needs one that can measure HR, calories, pace, speed, time, distance, and pattern which is a lot for a small device. Where as a person just intersted in calorie burn only needs it to measure heart rate and give calories burned.
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Go with a Polar brand, they are the best.
    My recommendation is the Polar HR6
    Best value for the money and it counts calories and is waterproof.

Matt
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I haven't used the body bugg, but I've heard of people who have used the Polars and liked them. Personally, I own and use the Oregon Scientific SE300. It tracks calories, lap counts, can be used w/swimming, has chest strap w/watch among other features (too many to list - see link for all features). Got it for $75 on Amazon.

http://www.heart-rate-monitor-watches.com/oregon-scientific-se300-heart-rate-monitor.html

I LOVE IT!!! :love: :love:
  • cheermom614
    Options
    I agree with everyone else....go with a Polar. They are fairly reasonably priced and work great. Mine cost around $100 at ****s Sporting Goods and it tracks everything!
  • thedman
    thedman Posts: 18
    Options
    I just got a Timex HRM a couple of months ago and it works great. I got model T5K217. Tracks calories burned plus saves the last 10 workouts. Easy step-up and programming. Have had no issue with it so far. $125.00 from Amazon. The reason I chose Timex over Polar is you can replace the batteries yourself in the Timex watch and chest strap versus having to send in the Polar to get them replaced.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I just started using using a Polar FT4 and I love it!
  • cousint
    cousint Posts: 11
    Options
    Just wanted to add a little something. I have had a Polar for 2 years and it's awesome. I'm sure the Timex one is great as well. I wanted to clarify, though, that you don't have to send your Polar HRM to Polar to have the batteries replaced. I replaced the chest strap one myself (with a battery similar to a camera batter that I got from Walmart) and I had the watch battery replaced at a watch store in the mall. I paid $9. I just didn't want the sending it off thing to make your decision for you.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    just be aware, when you do get your HRM, most HRM's do NOT subtract your regular calories from your exercise calories. Most people burn between 100 and130 calories per hour during normal daily activity, so you need to subtract your hourly calorie burn from what ever you exercise or else you will be overestimating your calories for the day when you enter them on MFP.

Just an FYI for you. :happy:
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    after hemming and hawing (sp?) I finally bought a polar last week. An F6 to be exact.. and it's pretty pink. I lost all my weight without one so didn't know if I wanted to spend the money... but finally caved.. AND SO GLAD I DID. You put in your weight, height, sex, dob and wham your set. I had be totally off with a lot of burned calories for certain exercises. ie at home eliptical was telling me I would burn about 500 cal/hour... polar= 240/ hour... BIG DIFFERENCE. I also do zumba, so it's nice to know exactly how much I burn rather than guessing. The 1 1/2 hour class from friday I burned 857!!! If I had guessed it would have been 700.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    someone told me about the body bug! i havent tried it...
  • thedman
    thedman Posts: 18
    Options
    you don't have to send your Polar HRM to Polar to have the batteries replaced. I replaced the chest strap one myself (with a battery similar to a camera batter that I got from Walmart) and I had the watch battery replaced at a watch store in the mall.

The reviews I read about Polar said that it had to be sent it to get the batteries replaced, but that is good news that they can be replaced without sending it in.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    just be aware, when you do get your HRM, most HRM's do NOT subtract your regular calories from your exercise calories. Most people burn between 100 and130 calories per hour during normal daily activity, so you need to subtract your hourly calorie burn from what ever you exercise or else you will be overestimating your calories for the day when you enter them on MFP.

Just an FYI for you. :happy:

So wait, your saying that even if I only wear my hrm during exercise, start it when I start exercising and stop it when I'md one... there's a good 100 calories in there that technically don't count!?!?!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    you don't have to send your Polar HRM to Polar to have the batteries replaced. I replaced the chest strap one myself (with a battery similar to a camera batter that I got from Walmart) and I had the watch battery replaced at a watch store in the mall.

The reviews I read about Polar said that it had to be sent it to get the batteries replaced, but that is good news that they can be replaced without sending it in.

It really depends on the model. The F series, I understand you HAD to send it in to get batteries replaced - the FT series, they recommend you send it in, but you can change them yourself. I just got the FT7, and am really excited - I like it a lot.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have heard great things about Polar and Garmin. I am looking at a Garmin item now because it can track miles run thanks to GPS.

Anyway, I have a body bugg and I like it but it does not tell heart rate and the display was $100 on top of the device. I got mine after new years and I got a "New Year's" sale but they are not cheap, and you have to pay a monthly fee to see your workout data etc. I am not sure if Polar has a website you can see your info on but most likely it does. I have found the bugg quite useful and I wasn't sure I could wear a chest strap without being irritated.
  • Itiswell
    Itiswell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oooohhh, they come in pink! Lol! Thanks for the tip! I just did an hour and a half Zumba last night and was wondering how many calories I burned!! :)
  • Itiswell
    Itiswell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! Looks like I'm going to my local sporting goods store and getting a polar!!! Wish me luck!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have heard great things about Polar and Garmin. I am looking at a Garmin item now because it can track miles run thanks to GPS.

Anyway, I have a body bugg and I like it but it does not tell heart rate and the display was $100 on top of the device. I got mine after new years and I got a "New Year's" sale but they are not cheap, and you have to pay a monthly fee to see your workout data etc. I am not sure if Polar has a website you can see your info on but most likely it does. I have found the bugg quite useful and I wasn't sure I could wear a chest strap without being irritated.

I think Polar has one that you can get a compatable "foot pod" with that will track miles and speed?? It's on their site - PolarUSA.com
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

I think Polar has one that you can get a compatable "foot pod" with that will track miles and speed?? It's on their site - PolarUSA.com

The garmin does not require the foot pod if outoors but there is an optional foot pod for indoors. I use a nike + right now to track miles and I like it but I would like more accuracy. Thanks for the tip on the polar, I will compare when buying time comes around!
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I just got a Timex HRM a couple of months ago and it works great. I got model T5K217. Tracks calories burned plus saves the last 10 workouts. Easy step-up and programming. Have had no issue with it so far. $125.00 from Amazon. The reason I chose Timex over Polar is you can replace the batteries yourself in the Timex watch and chest strap versus having to send in the Polar to get them replaced.

I bought a Timex T5J031 Unisex Digital Fitness Heart Rate Monitor Watch and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to clear the past workouts so it doesn't add today's calorie burn to yesterday's etc. Not caring much for the manual because it is about as clear as mud.