Boyfriend.

Options

Replies

• fit4life76
    fit4life76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can still cook for him and eat together! Just make healthier versions of the things you both love to eat and adjust your portion size.
  • Diharp
    Diharp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow tough choices we make when we are in love. You will just have to cut your portions in half and work out twice as much. Or talk to him and you guys can make a plan together.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Just break up now
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    small portions of the same food you eat. gotta have the discipline to measure your part of the meal and stick to your guns.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Get him into the gym;

Go with him to the gym;

profit.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    The thing is he's a picky eater, so new "healthier" meals won't work. And I can't seem to bring myself to only eat a tiny portion when I spent so much time and effort making it! I guess I'm just gonna have to get over it and have my tiny portion.....

There's the rub... you "can't seem to bring yourself to only eat a tiny portion". Change your mindset, Darlin'.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a pretty picky eater too. I just started using healthier alternatives to that he liked.

Whole wheat pasta with light sauce
    Extra lean free range ground beef or turkey instead.

You can get creative with it!
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    my husband eats whatever I make...he's just thankful that I cook...lol
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    We also used to loved eating together . . . and then we weren't newlyweds anymore.
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy cooking, and find it to be an activity that cements the bond between you and your boyfriend, I honestly see no reason why this shouldn't carry on! Particularly in the fact that cooking can be an extremely productive and healthy activity!

Instead of making fatty foods, or foods not as healthy as others, you could make veggie soups, casseroles with a bit of meat and veg, stews with a bit of meat and veg again, etc etc. In order to allow and achieve a gain for him and a loss for you, it would be appropriate to give your boyfriend a bread roll or two, which is just empty calories really, but this way you are both eating the same sort of thing. That's what I've been doing! Apart from me and my boyfriend are both trying to lose :P x
  • Ginnyesq
    Ginnyesq Posts: 109
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. She changed the way I cook forever.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    you can adjust your portions to very small portions. IF you are trying to lose weight you can eat like one slice of pizza or something but thats it. I mean i wouldnt recommend eating crappy every day - even if it is small portions. I would recommend cooking some healthy foods too that work for you AND him to work well with other fattening foods too. That way you can indulge more in the healthy foods but have a small portion of the non healthy food also. I know hes trying to gain weight but he should also be gaining weight on the right foods, not just junk!
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have a single coworker who is super into her fitness and diet and she has so much free time to focus. I just started sacrificing 4 nights of hang out time with my guy because I'm going to the gym....ISN'T THAT ENOUGH!?!?! I already miss him so much now I feel like I can't even have meals with him =(

I had the exact same issue: gym time replacing social time and I missed my friends. Work out in the morning if it's an option for you--it sounds impossible and miserable but I adjusted in less than 2 weeks and I am NOT a morning person. Now my evenings are free for other things and I don't feel right starting my day without that endorphin kick. This could be a solution for at least part of your problem.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    There are numerous ways to address this issue. Certainly you shouldn't feel like you're "sacrificing" in order to eat healthy. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd cook tasty, but healthy, meals 5-6 days/week, and have one day for him to request his favorites. This way you don't feel guilty and he doesn't feel deprived.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The thing is he's a picky eater, so new "healthier" meals won't work. And I can't seem to bring myself to only eat a tiny portion when I spent so much time and effort making it! I guess I'm just gonna have to get over it and have my tiny portion.....

My husband is the same way. It took a little effort but I found ways to make his favs a little healthier. For lasagna I use zucchini rather than noodles. He promised to at least TRY everything I cooked so he tried it and loved it. That cuts out a lot of calories right there. If you are OK with not having meat use tofu mixed with sauce, some lemon and basil rather than ricotta cheese and don't add any meat. My husband ate a whole plate of that before I told him it was tofu and he said he'll definitely eat it again.

Chicken parm I consider a splirge, why try to make that healthy is soooooo good the way it is! But if you did want to you could fry his up then bake your chicken, forego the bread crumbs and use less cheese. I forget what some of the others are you mentioned but there's definitely ways to make it healthier without him noticing. I switched to vegetarian and still made the same meals just omitting the meat from my portion or making him try the veggie version. I'm not one for portion control so I just make myself the same dish but in a healthier way.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I eat steak..and lasagna(eggplant no pasta) .... and chicken Parmesan (with salad not spaghetti). You don't have the modify the meals that much to eat the same things he does. He gets to eat at much steak as he wants with a baked potato and broccoli. You eat 4 ounces steak with salad and broccoli.

He orders pizza and eats most of it, you have one piece with a side salad.

Life isn't over, it just needs adjusting.
  • savannahlynnx21
    savannahlynnx21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why am I so overweight? Carbs. Yeah. Pasta. Bread. More pasta. How do I deal? Use WHEAT or GLUTEN FREE noodles--anything with less calories. You won't be able to taste the difference with the sauce and meat on there I promise. And you said he is a picky eater? Don't tell him what you are using;) see if he even notices. Want toast with your lasagna? Wonderful! Buy any kind of reduced calorie or other type of bread. When you butter it, buy some parkay spray or other reduced cal butter.

Chicken Alfredo is my weakness. I still eat it! I grill my chicken, use reduced fat sauce, and use wheat noodles. Much less calories then all the "good" stuff.

Motivation to lose weight while with a boyfriend who is comfortable with eating? Think of how much he will appreciate a a better YOU, and how good it will be on BOTH of your lives:)
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    We love eating together. Either out to eat or staying in all day watching movies while beef stew cooks itself and smells up the apartment all nice..... He's actually trying to gain 15-20, I'm trying to lose. But he loves when I cook lasagna or steak or chicken parm, and I love it too.....
    I love ordering pizza and playing video games with him all day. He works so hard and deserves nice meals when he gets home. My point is I LOVE cooking for him and eating with him. Do I have to sacrifice this? It's literally our main form of bonding because our budgets are tight right now so it's not like we go out and do a bunch of fun exciting things all the time. How do you guys deal??

Wow - can I just say that this is probably the nicest post I've seen on this site? You posted here without any cattiness or animosity towards your boyfriend. In fact, you acknowledged how hard he works and that you love cooking for him and spending time with him. This is wholeheartedly refreshing and rare. You deserve to indulge in a big plate of lasagna with him and you can even toss in a bowl of ice cream just for being such a jem. :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    my husband eats whatever I make...he's just thankful that I cook...lol

yes this!!!! ^^^^ if I do all the cooking, he's eating what I make! hahahaha
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    We are in exactly the same place..right down to the video games and my love of cooking ;) This could be my life. My boyfriend is very thin - though he is gaining recently since he has taken to stuffing his face with all the goodies I don't eat.

I don't cook different food, I don't use 'low fat' because my boyfriend reacts the same way - I bought 25% fat reduced PB thinking I could sneak it by him..bad idea. I love him dearly and he is the most amazing man ever so I compromise on his 'pickiness' and he does the same for me when I have issues.

I still cook, but now I try to make a little bit healthier changes that he won't notice..If I make pasta I will only make 'cream' sauces when I have the calories to spare. I make angel hair pasta instead of the thicker noodles because I get more volume for the same amount and add TONS of vegetables to my home made pasta sauce - Buzz it around in the food processor and there are no huge chunks to give away the "secret" I leave some bigger pieces of peppers and onions.

I make my own pasta so I can control the amount of things that go into it - it's just egg & flour so not hard (especially for someone who loves to cook) If you have a sheet of pasta you can roll it thinner for lasagna and just add extra meat or egg or cheese or whatever to 'fluff' it up more and avoid the pasta calories. Alternately you can stuff it with other things - maybe more meat/cheese for him and some spinach and ricotta (or something a little healthier) for you.

When we order Pizza we get half veggie and half whatever he eats - usually meat lovers. I can have my 2 pieces and he can have his and mine are half the calories. OR I make individual pizzas with tortilla shells. I use 1 shell for me and stick 2 shells together with a layer of mozza for him. He loves them and they still taste like pizza ( I love thin crust pizza so this is good for me)

The hardest thing for me with my boyfriend was to stop sharing his snacks..he eats non-stop..always munching something and I was munching right along with him. Now I don't munch - or I have something healthier - and then I have more calories to eat 'real' food. I don't eat 'tiny' portions and I don't work out. My diary is open if you are curious or want ideas.