Options

Replies

• clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    IF'er checking in.

The concepts are simple.
    The method works.

Got questions? PM me. Maybe I can help. The trolls like to **** on anything that they don't understand or believe.

Otherwise:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRC4Is1Nhk0Vb7D6a3i5Fl0Vw4oTOD6yS1o73vjm2owH23SoxN6kQ
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Interesting... Bumping again.

By IF are you talking the 500-600 cal twice or three times a week? Or the not eating until 11 ish and eat all calories in 8 hours? I have seen both referred to as IF.

OH GOD! Eating just 500-600 cals a few times a week is not IF, that's plain starvation! IF is not a diet, it doesn't tell you what to eat or how much, All IF tells you to do is choose a period of between 16-20 Hours where you don't eat. Then during the remaining hours (4-8) you consume your normal macro goals. Basically you have a 'fasted' period and a 'fed period'. As to its origins, it's earlier forms were conceived in books like "The Warrior Diet" and a lot of it's percieved or theoretical benefit harps back to times when we did not have constant food supplies. It works to use our bodies evolutionary mechanics to our advantage by stimulating the fasted and fed states in strategic 24 hour periods. I am not claiming any of this as true fact nor overly endorsing it. I do it on and off when it suits me and it has been a positive tool for me, but I am simply saying this to clarify what it is.

EatStopEAt is a different approach: It IS going 24 hours, consuming something like 500kcal, one day each week possibly two depending on the faster) then eating at maintenance for the remainder of the week, creating a caloric deficit for the WEEK, resulting in weight loss. I don't do it, I didn't study it other than quickly reading through a few articles regarding the theories, but it's out there.
  • stevemarks
    stevemarks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been using EatStopEat for the past two months. It's great. The first two fasts or so were a bit uncomfortable, but my body QUICKLY got used to it. Now on my fasting days I rarely feel any hunger -- I just feel "normal". I'm pretty sure the "hunger" I thought I was feeling was actually just the habit of eating and some detoxing my body was doing. (Fasting has many benefits, detox included!) My gastrointestinal issues have vanished. I'm losing some weight. I'm sick less than anyone else in my family. The body can heal itself very efficiently when it's not constantly digesting and processing food.

For the vast majority of human history we did not eat every day. So why all the scare about "starvation mode"? If you miss ONE or TWO meals? It's the food and supplement industry in this country.

Guess what, NOBODY makes money when you fast. So our entire consumer society will by definition be stacked against this. But history (and personal experience) will tell a different story: Intermittent fasting is unbelievably healthy and good for your body.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do know about IF. I actually looked into it but as I said whatever works for you and I know this wouldn´t do it for me. I´m not trying to start an argument about it, I just don´t agree. It´s taken me a long time to find what works for me, and honestly i´ve tried all sorts of diets, fads, right way, wrong way. Interesting subject and many opinions i´m sure

Sure, I can totally get that it might not work for you, but as to your concerns about it being unhealthy, it's no different than any other meal schedule in that, specifically, you are still required to adequately nourish yourself over time, just as you would eating 4 or 6 meals per day or whatever the case may be. Intermitting Fasting is just a different eating schedule.

THIS. At the end of the day (or week in some cases), it's all about calories in vs caloris out (and subsequent macros).
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I can´t get my head around this. Whatever works for you I s´pose but I can´t see how it´s healthy. I´m sure someone will bite my head off for saying that but it just seems nuts to me
    It's healthy.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    Interesting... Bumping again.

By IF are you talking the 500-600 cal twice or three times a week? Or the not eating until 11 ish and eat all calories in 8 hours? I have seen both referred to as IF.

OH GOD! Eating just 500-600 cals a few times a week is not IF, that's plain starvation! IF is not a diet, it doesn't tell you what to eat or how much, All IF tells you to do is choose a period of between 16-20 Hours where you don't eat. Then during the remaining hours (4-8) you consume your normal macro goals. Basically you have a 'fasted' period and a 'fed period'. As to its origins, it's earlier forms were conceived in books like "The Warrior Diet" and a lot of it's percieved or theoretical benefit harps back to times when we did not have constant food supplies. It works to use our bodies evolutionary mechanics to our advantage by stimulating the fasted and fed states in strategic 24 hour periods. I am not claiming any of this as true fact nor overly endorsing it. I do it on and off when it suits me and it has been a positive tool for me, but I am simply saying this to clarify what it is.

Got it, thank you for the clarification. The 500 cal a day two times a week is really the same amount of calories becaue you eat more on the re-feed days. Sounds weird I know, but there're several studies out about how it reduces a lot of disease. Which kind of makes sense. Ancestors probably had several periods of not being able to get anything to eat, then kill something and feast time.

I am simply curious at this point, mainly for the health benefits.

Thanks for everyone's input.
  • DarcyGibbs
    Options
    OH GOD! Eating just 500-600 cals a few times a week is not IF, that's plain starvation!

Actually, it is just another method of Intermittent Fasting. It's just not the leangains approach. Done correctly, just like leangains, it's not starvation. You're still taking in adequate nutrients and adequate total cals and macros over the course of a week.

Indeed that makes sense. I was referring really to people who simply decide eating almost nothing without balancing their ****. Everyone keeps referring to leangain's, but I have never even heard of that. I guess it is where most people find out about IF, but all of my knowledge is from elsewhere. Anyway, thanks for the stimulating chat!
  • Z3NN4
    Z3NN4 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    OH GOD! Eating just 500-600 cals a few times a week is not IF, that's plain starvation!

Actually, it is just another method of Intermittent Fasting. It's just not the leangains approach. Done correctly, just like leangains, it's not starvation. You're still taking in adequate nutrients and adequate total cals and macros over the course of a week.

Ok, so you're saying that: if required maintenance calories daily are equal to 1200 (for seven days a week for a total of 8400), then you fast a couple of times a week for 24+ hours, from dinner to dinner only consuming 500-600 calories at those dinners and make up the rest of the 8400 calories on days where you are not fasting? This would essentially be a more extreme form of calorie cycling, then, right? It would still serve the same purpose of "tricking" the body by evading homeostasis, right?
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    I wish I could do the lean gains way, but I have to lift/exercise really early in the am. I work 12 hour days shifts. If I wait till lunch to eat that would be 4-5 post work out.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My first meal is at 11 am then lunch at 3 pm and dinner at 6pm I don't eat anything after 7. It seems natural to me not "unhealthy"
    I think it is unhealthy for me to eat every 2-3 hours I tried that method and it made me feel hungry and fat all the time
  • Bassgirl51
    Options

Ok, so you're saying that: if required maintenance calories daily are equal to 1200 (for seven days a week for a total of 8400), then you fast a couple of times a week for 24+ hours, from dinner to dinner only consuming 500-600 calories at those dinners and make up the rest of the 8400 calories on days where you are not fasting? This would essentially be a more extreme form of calorie cycling, then, right? It would still serve the same purpose of "tricking" the body by evading homeostasis, right?

Correct. Same calories. Once in maintenance it is 800-900 a day. Then maybe like 2000-2200 on the re-feed day ,It ends up being the same amount of calories weekly. Hope I am making sense.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Since I don't specifically do an eat/stop/eat approach I can't give you speficics, but conceptually speaking the above is correct. You are still eating at a "reasonable" deficit, you are just having a couple of days with a very large deficit.
  • spangey13
    Options
    I gave this a go - bit got distracted and fell off the wagon. I plan on starting it again on Monday next week.

My question however is this:
    Is it essential that you break your fast after your work out.. or could I have an early dinner, say 6pm the night before, and then do my run at 5.30am and have my next meal at, say, 10am?

If I do my work out first thing in the morning (5.30am) and then I'm supposed to eat after that right (?) except I usually eat breakfast at work, cos I don't have time in the morning... that means that I skip dinner the night before?
    That kind of doesn't work well for me, and if it is supposed to be sustainable, that isn't going to work long term...
  • Z3NN4
    Z3NN4 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been using EatStopEat for the past two months. It's great. The first two fasts or so were a bit uncomfortable, but my body QUICKLY got used to it. Now on my fasting days I rarely feel any hunger -- I just feel "normal". I'm pretty sure the "hunger" I thought I was feeling was actually just the habit of eating and some detoxing my body was doing. (Fasting has many benefits, detox included!) My gastrointestinal issues have vanished. I'm losing some weight. I'm sick less than anyone else in my family. The body can heal itself very efficiently when it's not constantly digesting and processing food.

For the vast majority of human history we did not eat every day. So why all the scare about "starvation mode"? If you miss ONE or TWO meals? It's the food and supplement industry in this country.

Guess what, NOBODY makes money when you fast. So our entire consumer society will by definition be stacked against this. But history (and personal experience) will tell a different story: Intermittent fasting is unbelievably healthy and good for your body.

Amazing, thank you. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Thank you. I had wondered about immunity benefits. I have also been less sick than everyone. I am usually allergy ridden and draggin-@$$ this time of year but I've felt so great. I think you're right about feeling hungry, I think it is psychosomatic for a lot of us and habit for the rest of us. I'd really like to try EatStopEat. No way to know how my willpower is doing until I try. (= Thanks again.
  • zerapha
    Options
    I did this as part of Ramadhan - it was awesome! the first couple of days were really hard due to the caffeine withdrawal, but once I got over that, I did find I had loads of energy during the day & yes, more likely to exercise in the evening :)
    In the end, whatever works for you I guess - I lost 7lb. They stayed off for a while, but then I started eating a little too many pecan muffins (damn you bakery!) so they went back on.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options

Ingesting, one of the medical problems this helped a lot with (according to research) was colitis.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have been using intermittent fasting for almost a month now with some pretty awesome changes. First off, I have so much more energy in the morning, which I would have never thought. Also, I am more committed to exercising after I break my fast, I seem to want to eat less and lastly I am more regular. I was wondering if anyone else with success or difficulty would share their experiences or expertise. I've read up on it but I would like to know more.

Thanks for your time! (=

It worked for me but what was cool for me was I bumbled into it on my own before researching it, then reading about it confirmed why it worked for me. Basically I had yo-yo'd for 15 years on the various diets, Low fat high carb, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Atkins, Organic, Weston Price Diet, The Schwarzbein Principle, Eat Fat Lose Fat, The Ultimate PH Solution, The Makers Diet, A friends diet from a personal trainer/dietician. I finally just got sick of it all and made up my own diet with healthy foods I enjoy and smaller portions. I ate my meals from small desert plates and bowls. I stopped eating in the evenings (not that when you eat matters.) I started calling what I did mini-meals and mini-fasts and I lost 40 lbs. I suddenly realized I by doing this I was fasting 15-17 hours every night. Then I told a friend I found the secret to weight loss and he told me to look up Eat Stop Eat and learned why it worked and everything took off for me at that point, and that's how I found my new workouts.

I like Eat Stop Eat because of Brad's scientific explanations based on facts and backed by research papers. His book is not free but it's well worth the read and the back lists the pages and pages of research for those so inclined (above my pay grade).

Here are some great reads on the subject:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/intermittent-fasting-and-bulking/

I'm too lean now to fast for very long now, mostly I just skip meals now and then for calorie flexibility and I have such freedom knowing I don't have to be afraid of the feeling of hunger. I don't believe in starving/binging, but taking a break from eating for periods of time for the mind and body, and spiritual reasons, and then eating normal is a good strategy for me at times.

It was a great tool for helping me manage my calories in a flexible way when I was losing fat, and now that I'm lean I just have to modify it slightly to my different needs, but it is tremendous FREEDOM from the myths we've been tied under for so long.

Oh and I'd like to add, while IF might not be for everyone I got scientific proof that I didn't harm myself or go into starvation mode or lose lean body mass. My doctor checked my hormones throughout the process going from obese down to 10% while eating at a deficit and IF and all was fine, I stayed strong at the gym and with my running and in fact got stronger and stronger both with weight lifting and my HIIT running and normal runs, not only that my my DXA scan proved that I did not lose lean body mass.

If ever in doubt, simply have your hormones and blood levels checked and if your doctor approves do a DXA scan as well, this is the proof of against all the emotional arguments and myths for you.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    I did this as part of Ramadhan - it was awesome! the first couple of days were really hard due to the caffeine withdrawal, but once I got over that, I did find I had loads of energy during the day & yes, more likely to exercise in the evening :)
    In the end, whatever works for you I guess - I lost 7lb. They stayed off for a while, but then I started eating a little too many pecan muffins (damn you bakery!) so they went back on.

Fasters of Ramadan was part of the study.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not against fasting for spirtual or cleansing purposes and would say that's its' been used all around the world in non-Western traditions and even for Christian religious purposes for centuries. I think it's great and I don't care what anyone says. In terms of the idea of fast and feed in short periods though, it cracks me up. I did that for years. It was called bulimia at that time though.

It's your right to do it. And I dont' see anything wrong with it necessarily for those it works for, but seriously fasting and then eating a bunch of cals is considered a form of bulimia in many eating disorder circles.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    How is this OK and 1,200 a day is starvation mode?:huh: