1200 or 1500... that is the question

Options
LynnW52
LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
I originally started out using MFP's calculated goals. After talking to our nutritionist at work, he suggested that I was eating to few calories at 1200, and should bump up to 1500. So I manually reset my data on MFP, and the first day that I input my food, the thing at the bottom "if everyday were like today" was, to say the least, discouraging. Am I setting myself up for slower weight loss if I switch to 1500 calories? I am 5'1, I currently weight 175, and I have a moderately active lifestyle. Am I better off switching to 1500, burning those extra 300 calories and not eating them back? Should I stick to 1200 or bump to 1500? I don't find myself feeling hungry at 1200, and if I want to splurge on something with a few more calories, I'm willing to work it off. Please help, want to do what's best!

Replies

• Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I, personally would believe a registered dietitian or doctor over a computer.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I believe you should do 1200 if you are wanting to the lose the weight a little faster. I am 5'2 have a 10 month. I recently went from a 134 to 110 in about 10 months. Now I am eating 1500. I never deprived myself of anything. Just moderation. There were a few weeks I struggled but I still made it. If you are exercising you do need to eat your calories. Good luck.
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    I am your height, and started this process in the 150's, prior to that at 195 after having my daughter. I kept my calories at 1200 a day, ate back my exercise calories and had no problems losing until recently. I am now at 130 with a goal weight of 120 (never even thought I would ever see 130) I suggest putting your calories at 1200 and eating any exercise calories you earn. Most important of all, drink your daily water intake of 8 - 8oz glasses a day. I notice that water has a BIG impact on my weight loss. The program really works, just stick with it, at least that has been my experience. It looks like you have lost 20 pounds so far - congratulations. Did you do that with 1200 calories a day? If so, then it has been working for you, and you said that you are not having a hunger problem at 1200 - stick with it!!
  • Desiderata
    Options
    Slower weight loss is always best, because it will end up being permanent weight loss in the end., despite the desire for fast results. And you have to take into consideration that 1200 is the very minimum amount of calories you can intake so your body has enough energy for its daily functions. You also have to think about all the other things it does (walking around, doing dishes, so on) that burn a couple hundred more calories throughout the day. eating 1500 calories a day is healthy, and still puts you at a deficit if you exercise regularly.

And what Mellie13 said too
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I was doing the 1200 + exercise calories and that just wasn't enough for me. I would listen more to a doctor or nutritionist before the computer as well as stated by Mellie13. After readying about BMR and calories when active, 1200 was not enough for me. I have about 20-25 pounds that I would like to lose. My body was not responding. If it's too few, your body goes into starvation mode. I have recently manually changed my goals to 1400 (+ exercise calories) and I have noticed my body responding better.

There's many articles posted on these forums about caloric equations. I suggest taking a look. It's quite useful information.
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    My thoughts on this is that MPF has me at 1200 a day, but if I burn 300 calories excercising etc. there is the 1500 calories my Dr told me. If I eat the excercise calories, I have the 1500.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I think it can get confusing depending upon whether or not that nutritionist was suggesting that you eat 1500 PLUS exercise calories or 1500 INCLUDING exercise calories. My guess is that when you said you were eating 1200 calories, she thought you were eating only that and not eating additional calories for exercise. So, if she was thinking that you would eat a total of 1500 calories and exercise about 300 calories worth, then it is actually about the same as eating 1200 calories PLUS an additional 300 in exercise calories.

That said, I agree that slow weight loss is better. It didn't come on quickly, it shouldn't come off quickly--at least not if you want to keep it off.
  • Maxmumof2
    Options
    I have also been advised that 1500 is better for me.

For my BMI, the total calories to maintain my current wait would be 2005, so I decided that if I knock mine down to 1500, that's 3500 per week less than to maintain, which equates to a weightloss of 1lb per week. Then when adding exercise, you will burn off more calories so may increase your weekly weightloss.

If you drop your calories too low, your body will get used to it and then hold onto excess fat etc.. hence you will stop losing. At least if you start on 1500, you have the opportunity to drop calories at some point.

1500 is the correct and healthy way to go!

You are probably thinking, why should I listen to you, you haven't lost a bean! Although I have only joined today and haven't lost anything yet, I have dieted in the past and been very successful going from a UK size 22 to a UK size 10-12, however, due to depression and many other factors, I piled it all back on ...now it's time to take stock and get slim again!! Good Luck to you :)
  • joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm taller than you so I don't have personal experience here but I know many women your height or shorter and they all say tiny women need less than average-tall women. Makes sense. My friend who is just under 5 feet tall says she can't eat more than 1000 cals a day. Think about it, all of the RDA's for nutrients are based on someone with a much bigger frame. I say mess around a bit with the calories to see what works for you but don't be afraid to stray from the very general guidlines here on this site.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 but wasn't really losing. I listened to my wellness coach and bumped my calories up to my BMR and started losing again. I eat about 1534 per day. But I dont eat back my exercise calorie because I have that calculated into my daily intake. You have to find what works for you. You can calculate your BMR here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • hhamilton
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I asked the trainer at my health club this question, since I have been running more than ever and I cannot lose any weight. He suggested I consume 1500 calories per day. When I increase my running schedule, I need to increase my calorie intake as well
    I would believe a nutirionist before this site. It's setting your calorie intake based on what you put as your activity level during the day. If you put down a desk job, you are getting set at 1200 calories, which I think is too few for anyone.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I originally started out using MFP's calculated goals. After talking to our nutritionist at work, he suggested that I was eating to few calories at 1200, and should bump up to 1500. So I manually reset my data on MFP, and the first day that I input my food, the thing at the bottom "if everyday were like today" was, to say the least, discouraging. Am I setting myself up for slower weight loss if I switch to 1500 calories? I am 5'1, I currently weight 175, and I have a moderately active lifestyle. Am I better off switching to 1500, burning those extra 300 calories and not eating them back? Should I stick to 1200 or bump to 1500? I don't find myself feeling hungry at 1200, and if I want to splurge on something with a few more calories, I'm willing to work it off. Please help, want to do what's best!

Have you recalculated since losing your 20 lbs? If so, then I'd go with that. MFP and some other things have put me at 1200, low activity with my maintenance varied depending on the calculator I used. I jacked mine up to 1500 and in a week, gained 2 lbs. Not cool. I put it back down to 1300 and in a few days noticed the trend continuing - just slower. I just put it back down to 1200 and I intend to stay under it with or without exercise (but I do burn about 300 a day currently and sometimes I'll eat them back, sometmes I won't). I'm 5'1" also, btw. I'd say recalculate for every 10 lbs you lose because your body will burn faster with less weight. And maybe Kaitlinj was right about the confusion in the conversation with the nutritionist, which would be consistent with the above.
  • muth3rluvx2
    Options

Have you recalculated since losing your 20 lbs? If so, then I'd go with that. MFP and some other things have put me at 1200, low activity with my maintenance varied depending on the calculator I used. I jacked mine up to 1500 and in a week, gained 2 lbs. Not cool. I put it back down to 1300 and in a few days noticed the trend continuing - just slower. I just put it back down to 1200 and I intend to stay under it with or without exercise (but I do burn about 300 a day currently and sometimes I'll eat them back, sometmes I won't). I'm 5'1" also, btw. I'd say recalculate for every 10 lbs you lose because your body will burn faster with less weight. And maybe Kaitlinj was right about the confusion in the conversation with the nutritionist, which would be consistent with the above.
  • muth3rluvx2
    Options
    sorry.. didn't mean to post that twice.
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    MFP also set mine at 1200 and I'm also 5'1 .. it really wasn't working for me so have bumped them up like the others based on my BMR, and have included exercise cals within that so don't eat the ones that I log from exercise! Seems to be working now :smile:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    MFP also set mine at 1200 and I'm also 5'1 .. it really wasn't working for me so have bumped them up like the others based on my BMR, and have included exercise cals within that so don't eat the ones that I log from exercise! Seems to be working now :smile:

Good to know. I've recently done something similar. Too soon to see if it changes anything, but I need to figure out how to bust through this plateau.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Hmmm the question is did u clarify with your dr/ nutritionist that 1200 is just the minimum you're eating and that doesn't include your exercise calories?
    I hope that you are eating them cuz that would make them 1200 + (X) = a more sensible number.

clarify that first and go from there.
  • nebulas
    nebulas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember is that most doctors won't recommend ever going below 1200 calories because dropping below that will make your body save more fat and think it is being underfed.

I started loosing weigh in May of last year and have just been going for more of a steady life style change focus more then just dropping weight. If your goal is long term I say go slower and start thinking long term then just a quick drop. And make sure you eat back your exercise calories!
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    When I plateau, I slightly up my calories and then I will loose.... Our bodies are crazy, but when we learn WHAT THEY ARE SAYING, things seem to make more sense....:laugh: