Love the treadmill, hate running outside

Options
Just me?

I can run for an hour on the treadmill, at varying intensities/speeds but if you ask me to run outside I'll say no almost every time.

Eventually I'd like to run competitively (obviously starting out with a 5k) but I never will if I don't run outside! Help!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill. Yes, I can go farther, but it's boring. Once I started running outside, I was hooked.

If you don't want to run outside, then don't. But you know that it will hinder you when you try to run a 5K outdoors. Your choice!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I get more out of the treadmill because I can change the height. I have a bad knee and need to keep the impact down. I did do my first 5K last month and it was fun but without the other people I think I would find it boring. Also I go to the gym after work and do NOT like to go out in the dark much.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I love to run outside because it's free, always available and you get fresh air and (where I live) beautiful scenery to enjoy as you run :):)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way until I actually starting running outside on a regular basis. Then I started dreading the treadmill and wishing I was outside. It just took getting out there and doing it to make the change happen.

I also ran on a paved trail and not on the streets at all, so it's possible that makes a difference. But I found it actually felt better on my knees once I got used to it, and I also found that I was able to stay running for longer periods of times.

When I was on the treadmill, I had to dial in a specific pace, and then if I got too tired, I had to dial it to another specific pace and I often found myself having to slow it down to walk a bit. But when I run outside, my body made small, natural, adjustments to my running pace the whole way so that I wouldn't have to slow all the way to a walk, but could just slow my run or speed it up without having to even think about it. My pacing and endurance improved tenfold when I switched to running on the running trail instead of always on the treadmill.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You gotta ditch the dreadmill and hit the pavement (or trails)!

You can't do the Tour de France on a Lifecycle...
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way until I actually starting running outside on a regular basis. Then I started dreading the treadmill and wishing I was outside. It just took getting out there and doing it to make the change happen.

I also ran on a paved trail and not on the streets at all, so it's possible that makes a difference. But I found it actually felt better on my knees once I got used to it, and I also found that I was able to stay running for longer periods of times.

When I was on the treadmill, I had to dial in a specific pace, and then if I got too tired, I had to dial it to another specific pace and I often found myself having to slow it down to walk a bit. But when I run outside, my body made small, natural, adjustments to my running pace the whole way so that I wouldn't have to slow all the way to a walk, but could just slow my run or speed it up without having to even think about it. My pacing and endurance improved tenfold when I switched to running on the running trail instead of always on the treadmill.

On the paved trail part of the 5K was the part I could actually go faster and when on the road I did a fast walking pace. I still don't wanna go out in the dark but will go out on a day off.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    NOT just you!! I have medical reasons for not running outside (solar urticaria), but honestly even if I didn't, I don't want my workout to be affected by the weather conditions! I have done just a couple outdoor runs in the cool, cloudy days, and the time goes faster, but I like the stability of my treadmill. :)

...and I thought I was the only one!
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I like my treadmill because I live in an extremely hilly area, have bad lungs (cold air can cause and asthma attack) and the biggest reason is that I hate the idea of anyone seeing me run. I run slow and I'm still obese and I just don't want anyone to see me!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    NOT just you!! I have medical reasons for not running outside (solar urticaria), but honestly even if I didn't, I don't want my workout to be affected by the weather conditions! I have done just a couple outdoor runs in the cool, cloudy days, and the time goes faster, but I like the stability of my treadmill. :)

...and I thought I was the only one!

See, without the challenge of the elements running loses some of it's appeal to me.
  • rsm1972
    rsm1972 Posts: 283
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill a lot:):)
  • tpop917
    tpop917 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that. Thought I'd never be able to run outside. Then I started running outside. I was scared the first time. Now, 4+ years later, I HATE the treadmill.

It's a big first step, but once you get out there with nature, you'll wonder why you never did it before.
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We are definitely in the minority! I love the treadmill at the gym! It sits right in front of the free weight area and I can watch everyone work out! I usually can't go more than 7 miles tho on a treadmill before getting bored. I forced myself this year to go outside. I have to admit, I grew to like it (esp if it was on pretty trails) but I still revert back to my treadmill. Most people can't understand why!
  • tr33p1g
    Options
    I love running outside but my treadmill at home comes with Google maps so I can make my own routes and the treadmill matches the gradient. A 30 minute workout on a route you recognise feels like 15 minutes. :)
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I started running again last year on the treadmill and would go up to 7 miles. The first few times I ran outside, it was HORRIBLE. Honestly, the biggest difference is the impact on your body. The treadmill is WAY softer than pavement. What I would suggest, since you want to run competitvely and will always be on some kind of hard surface, is to start slow. You may be able to run a few miles on the treadmill but it won't be the same right away outside. Start with a 1/2 mile, then build to 1 mile, and so on. Your body will have time to adjust slowly and it won't put as much pressure on your joints, as it would if you tried to bang out 3 miles the first time out there. Now I can run 7 miles OUTSIDE and I HATE the treadmill!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill as well! Parked in front of the tv, I can go for hours and get lost in it and not have to worry about what's going on with the kids while I'm out running on the road.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I like both. Start adding a 1% incline to your treadmill runs to simulate running outdoors. Since the belt does some of the work for you, you need a slight incline to simulate flat outdoor running. If you really don't want to train outdoors you technically can do your training on the treadmill- just use an incline and plan to do a little more- One winter I did all of my training for a half marathon on a treadmill. It wasn't ideal, and running outdoors is better training for an outdoor run, but any training you like is better than training you hate. If you can do like 4 miles on a slight incline on a treadmill, you'll get through a flat 5K just fine. You'll probably have some soreness the next day after the race though.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I prefer outdoors to treadmill. Running inside- I just feel too stuffy, like I need fresh air.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill. Would rather run in the rain or snow than on the treadmill. I have read that running on the treadmill "holds you back". Meaning that you run at a set speed which is definitely not how it happens outdoors. So just think of the treadmill as a dreaded piece of machinery that is preventing you from reaching your full cardiovascular potential. If that doesn't work, then you deserve each other:). Good luck and get your butt outside.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Just me?

I can run for an hour on the treadmill, at varying intensities/speeds but if you ask me to run outside I'll say no almost every time.

Eventually I'd like to run competitively (obviously starting out with a 5k) but I never will if I don't run outside! Help!

OMG im the oppisite - breathing in the fresh air, different sights, different runs each time - the people you pass every day - everything about it is AMAZING - im injured right now and HAVE to be on the treadmill/at the gym and i'm so upset :(
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been on a trail in the woods when the first snow of the season is glistening on the pines, and the leaves from fall are still wet on the ground, and geese are honking overhead, and all you can smell is the musky piney smell of the woods, and a deer runs by, and OMG you are missing so much in life. GET OUTSIDE.