Starvation mode

Options
2»

Replies

• Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    it's simple calories in and calories out. . .
    to loss weight 1. be accurate 2 eat less then you burn . .
    if you want to lose slowly eat close to what you burn..
    if you want to lose fast don't eat close to what you burn. .

if you aren't hungry . .dont eat
    salt bad . .water good

end of story

^^^^ this pretty simple!
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody, obviously this subject is about Starvation mode, Because a lot of my friends keep telling me that I'm starving myself for eating 1000-1200 calories a day, I actually don't believe that I'm starving myself because i ate enough, eating more than 1200 calories is what got me fat in the first place, and then people say you gonna lose more weight if you eat more than 1200 calories But If i did eat more than 1200 calories and lose weight I wouldn't be fat in the first place.
    Any ideas? :)

If "starvation mode" was true. I would lose no weight by doing intermittent fasting. My progress ticker is all lies if it was true.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "starvation mode" in the strictest sense. When you eat too few calories, you probably aren't getting all of the nutrients you need along with your calories, and different hormones and enzymes may be slowed in production - while this isn't good, the "rule" that you need 1200 calories or more to effectively lose weight is completely made up. We know this for two reasons:

1. Anorexics and actual starving people don't "hang on" to their fat - people with a calorie deficit over a long period of time are going to lose weight, period.
    2. Everyone is different and has different needs - how can anyone possibly say that "yup, that's it, 1200 calories is the norm and everyone needs it before going into the zone of 'starvation mode'"? BS!

well said!
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Metabolisms vary. If you're not sure what you WERE eating, you could just track for a week or two and tweak from there.

If you really do need to trim below the (no, it's not magic) 1,200 calorie per day level, then getting a medical workup mightn't be a bad idea. Sometimes, there's a problem. (Even something simple like low vitamin D or B, or iodine or other minerals, which recent studies show a lot of women are short on, can slow things down.)

Even the anti-vitamin docs say a woman "can get all the nutrients she needs from a carefully planned 2,000 calorie a day diet." I don't know about you, but if I ate that much, I'd probably be topping 400 pounds -- so I take a good vitamin supplement and a good mineral supplement.

Some info here -- with lots of footnotes -- from a reputable MD: http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/weight-loss-
    diet.htm
  • Carrievaught
    Options
    Metabolisms vary. If you're not sure what you WERE eating, you could just track for a week or two and tweak from there.

If you really do need to trim below the (no, it's not magic) 1,200 calorie per day level, then getting a medical workup mightn't be a bad idea. Sometimes, there's a problem. (Even something simple like low vitamin D or B, or iodine or other minerals, which recent studies show a lot of women are short on, can slow things down.)

Even the anti-vitamin docs say a woman "can get all the nutrients she needs from a carefully planned 2,000 calorie a day diet." I don't know about you, but if I ate that much, I'd probably be topping 400 pounds -- so I take a good vitamin supplement and a good mineral supplement.

Some info here -- with lots of footnotes -- from a reputable MD: http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/weight-loss-
    diet.htm

Nicely said.