100 calorie packs..??

Options
2»

Replies

• Relaeh
    Relaeh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Well I got alot of responses from this which is awsome. I have to admit that some of the comments made me a bit sheepish...I know that grabbing a peice of fruit is waayy better than a 100 calorie pack - but I'm sorry - a piece of fruit will not fill me up and keep me going. I've tried it. As a nurse who is on her feet for 10 hours a day I cannot make it on a peice of fruit for a snack...but maybe if I paired the peice of fruit with a handful of almonds then I could get by.

I like the 100 calorie snack packs because if you want oreos or chips you can have them and not feel guilty about it (as much). I know that when you want to lose weight you have to make life-style changes and not just diet. I've done the dieting and it never has worked. But I also think that now a days everyone lives a hectic life and it's hard to be able to prepare meals and snacks that are completely well balanced....so I don't think it's a bad thing that you indulge in the 100 calorie packs.
    I am a nurse as well...so I know how you feel! I like the 100 cal Nabiso yogurt pretzels...I don't eat them everyday, but I do usually have that when I'm at work...If your workplace is anything like mine, there is always some kind of junk food around, so I need to have something like that with me to curb that craving if I get it!
    I do eat a lot of fruit at work, too...a banana with a little bit of natural PB goes a long way, really! Also, I don't know if you've tried Fage 0% Greek yogurt-I posted about this the other day-mix in 2 packets of splenda and add some kashi crunch or nuts and it's very yummy and satisfying...a little honey on top is good too, for some sweetness :blushing:
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Jess - fruit alone doesn't help me either, in fact it leaves me a little light-headed. I eat almonds, walnuts, or peanut butter with an apple and that helps. Also, I've been portioning out a half serving of hot cereal (140 including milk) and nuking it at break and that's been great on cold mornings.
  • Jess522
    Jess522 Posts: 6
    Options
    I will definately try the yogurt thing and the peanut butter and banana...yummy! My work place is like yours...there are always sweets around and patients are always giving us sweets and junk food. So it is hard to stay away from that stuff but I bring the 100 cal. packs sometimes and that usually will deter me from going with the other junk that is around. Thanks for the ideas!!
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Well I got alot of responses from this which is awsome. I have to admit that some of the comments made me a bit sheepish...I know that grabbing a peice of fruit is waayy better than a 100 calorie pack - but I'm sorry - a piece of fruit will not fill me up and keep me going. I've tried it. As a nurse who is on her feet for 10 hours a day I cannot make it on a peice of fruit for a snack...but maybe if I paired the peice of fruit with a handful of almonds then I could get by.

I like the 100 calorie snack packs because if you want oreos or chips you can have them and not feel guilty about it (as much). I know that when you want to lose weight you have to make life-style changes and not just diet. I've done the dieting and it never has worked. But I also think that now a days everyone lives a hectic life and it's hard to be able to prepare meals and snacks that are completely well balanced....so I don't think it's a bad thing that you indulge in the 100 calorie packs.

Don't be sheepish. Life is for living. If you like the 100 cal packs, and you can make them fit into your diet, then have them. These people who act like you're committing a mortal sin by indulging (and seriously, THIS is indulging????) every once in a while miss the point of enjoying life. You don't HAVE to deprive yourself 100% of the time in order to be healthy.
  • volks80
    volks80 Posts: 56
    Options

Don't be sheepish. Life is for living. If you like the 100 cal packs, and you can make them fit into your diet, then have them. These people who act like you're committing a mortal sin by indulging (and seriously, THIS is indulging????) every once in a while miss the point of enjoying life. You don't HAVE to deprive yourself 100% of the time in order to be healthy.

I agree. While yes having an apple or whatever may be better but I don't think that every thing that you eat all the time has to be healthy/nutritious. Sometimes it is good to "induldge" and as said come on these are 100 calories packs so really its not that bif of a deal.
  • Relaeh
    Relaeh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I remember one more good snack that's very satisfying-Vitamuffin's/tops-they have chocolate, bluebran, cranbran, corn, etc-for around 100cal each and 4 or 5g fiber-all natural and go great paired with a piece of fruit or yogurt!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

I agree. While yes having an apple or whatever may be better but I don't think that every thing that you eat all the time has to be healthy/nutritious. Sometimes it is good to "induldge" and as said come on these are 100 calories packs so really its not that bif of a deal.

I personally wasn't trying to insinuate that INDULGING occasionally is bad. But, for a healthy snack, you can do MUCH better than 100 calorie packs of worthlessness! And you'll be so much more satisfied and your body will be so much better nourished for it. That's all.

As an indulgence, how about some chocolate frozen yogurt? Or some chocolate peanut butter? Or... *gasp* some dark chocolate? :laugh: As I said earlier, I love Luna nutrition bars as an indulgence -- they taste like candy but still have important nutrition that my body so desperately needs on such a huge calorie deficit.

I've been down the 100 calorie packs route and ignorantly buying packages in the grocery store that are labeled "fat free" or "light" thinking I was eating healthy. It didn't work out and I gave up and gained 60 pounds. I think the naysayers here are just trying to guide you into figuring out that these 100 calorie packs are not healthy food. And, no, you don't have to be healthy ALL of the time. So, if you want 100 calorie packs as your occasional indulgence, more power to you. I'm more satisfied by other indulgences.

I'm definitely not an advocate of deprivation. That will lead to failure, plain and simple (again, been there). I'm to the point now that if I want something, I eat whatever it is in moderation. I understand that's hard to do when you first start out, so if 100 calorie packs help you get by for now, then by all means, use them! You'll find that if you pair *protein* with all of your snacks, they'll keep you going longer (so, if you have an apple, have some nuts or peanut butter, if you have grapes, try some cheese with them, etc). As for feeling sheepish, don't. Everyone who responded, whether they were blunt or rude or not, is trying to *help* you. Isn't it great to have such fantastic support? :flowerforyou:
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    for 60 calories you could have a JELLO Mousse Temptations. Soooooooooo good! I put mine in the freezer.
  • Adiemae
    Adiemae Posts: 2
    Options
    I like to try to eat healthy items. The 100 calorie packs are convienent but they have no nutritional value. For low calorie I have been eating fruits, like apples and strawberries. Sometimes that does not satisfy me so I eat nuts. Also I like the Larabar, they have a lot of calories (no more thatn the other bars) but they are all natural ingredients. I would like to point out that I LOVE to indulge (hello, I am here) but I get a little carried away with the 100 calorie packs. That is another reason I try to stay away.
  • PrettyNpink526
    Options
    One thing I've learned from a nutritionist is that the label is deceiving. Yes, it is only 100 calories... but 100 calories of WHAT? Sugars, fats, carbs... We need to make sure that we are balancing those as well as calories. You can eat 1200 a day of pure sugar but not lose any weight b/c of the content not the quantity. 100 cal packs should be eaten few and far between.