First day of taking up jogging and have pains in my chest.

Options
2»

Replies

• MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to anyone on this forum though their intentions are well. Go see you doctor. You do not need to guess about this.
  • jupityjupe
    jupityjupe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    chest pain or pressure upon exertion but relieved when the exercise is stopped is the very deffinition of angina. you did not give enough information to make any kind of accurate diagnosis, and women typically do not feel cardiac related symptoms the same as men but i would still suggest seeing a doctor and getting checked out. a simple 12 lead ekg may not be enough as it will detect arrhythmias you are experiencing at the moment, but not during exerciese. at the very least, call and talk to an advise nurse.

i am a former paramedic and ekg technitian btw
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to anyone on this forum though their intentions are well. Go see you doctor. You do not need to guess about this.

agree 100%, see my post earlier
  • littlemeowmaid
    littlemeowmaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Was it cold? It might just be irritation in the lining of your lungs?
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    That happens when I run too (I've just started as well).

I'm not an expert by any means, but I know when I was in high school and ran track my coach would tell us in the beginning to kind of expect it and that it's our bodies way of just saying slow down and don't push anymore. I figure I get them because I'm used to pretty much no heart beat raising exercise, so my heart is in shock a little.

OMG!!! I hope this is a joke. There is no reason to "expect" chest pain when running.

YES! Your coach was an idiot. So was mine. For years I thought the pain was normal and everyone got it. Turns out I get chest pain when I run because I have exercise induced asthma. Your lungs should open up and breathe deeper when you push yourself. You should feel a difference and a strain, but not outright lung/chest pain. A heat and stretching feeling (burn) is good. Chest pain is not. If you choke, cough or wheeze after or during running or produce excess mucus that's another sign of asthma, but even if you're not making lots of noises you should get the asthma angle checked out. Good luck!
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The pain is in-between my boobs (sorry only way i can think of to describe it) and it came on after jogging half a mile.

I would really like to take up jogging so my question is..

Should i slow it down a little until i am use to jogging certain distances ?

This could be asthma - that's where I feel it when I don't take an inhaler before exercising. Or it could be muscle pain because your bra isn't supportive enough. Check out both angles.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor to make sure you are healthy enough for running and that there are no issues.
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    AFTER getting the OK from your doctor to take up jogging. Download the Couch to 5K app on your phone. It works! I am on week 8 and having a lot of success.

:smile:
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor. Even if it subsides with rest, it could be serious. Women present differently than men for cardiac conditions. Rule out your heart...safest thing to do! Be safe!
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    after you see your doctor..try the couch to 5k app..it combines walking with running....i just finished week one of c210k and although my body hurts...i can see a big difference already!! its a great beginner app