Why am I not losing weight?

Options
So I joined MFP like a month ago. After logging for the day it would have,"You will be 155 pounds in 5 weeks." I started out 165. I only lost 3 pounds so far. It's really really annoying cuz I wanna be thinner already. I workout out for 1-1.5 hours each day including exercises such as shooting baskets in basketball, basketball games, biking, and the ClimbingSystem machine at the gym. I would think this would be a great plan to shed some pounds, but it really isn't working. C'mon, 3 pounds?????? I'm really not as motivated with these results so these days I'm eating foods that are way beyond my calorie-intake level. Stuff from In-N-Out, taco trucks, and cakes became my favorites again. Any advice? Thanks. :) Oh and BTW most of the time I don't drink my 8 cups of water each day and usually am short of 10 grams of protein.

Replies

• NursRatchett
    NursRatchett Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Sometimes if you don't eat enough calories, you will lose weight at a slower rate.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Assuming you joined 3 weeks ago approximately that's a pound a week. That's great. You didn't gain weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight either. Plus when you don't have much to lose you can't expect huge losses.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    You should try lifting some weights too..you can burn a lot of calories just lifting and keep burning after..
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Assuming you joined 3 weeks ago approximately that's a pound a week. That's great. You didn't gain weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight either. Plus when you don't have much to lose you can't expect huge losses.

Preach it, sister!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I agree... My weight loss has sucked also. I'm at the gym everyday and am diabetic so that's difficult....
  • jmariscal3
    jmariscal3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I have been at this for three months and am only 3 pounds down so far. I have not always ate the best, though, so this is no surprise to me. Also, I skipped meals, too. From what I gather if you skip meals it sends the body into starvation mode and the body stores up fat from the meals you do eat. Hopefully you do not skip meals like I did. Even if you work out, skipping meals will work against you. Try weights, and use protein shakes or bars after good workouts, the body consumes protein faster within 20 minutes of a workout. Drink lots of water and the most important thing is DON'T GIVE UP!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary, we could help by looking at your diet.

But really, 1 pound per week loss is very reasonable and very realistic. Your loss so far is great! Results do not happen overnight, unfortunately, and your diet plays a huge part.

Keep at it --- slow and steady!
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    one pound per week is really good. I mean you don't really weigh that much to begin with so you can't expect to lose as much as someone heavier. Open up your diary
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I would think this would be a great plan to shed some pounds, but it really isn't working. C'mon, 3 pounds?????? I'm really not as motivated with these results so these days I'm eating foods that are way beyond my calorie-intake level. Stuff from In-N-Out, taco trucks, and cakes became my favorites again. Any advice? Thanks. :)

What is it that's not working? You lost 3 pounds in a month; that is a perfectly good rate of loss. If you keep at it, you will continue to lose. If you don't keep at it, you will gain. Would your rather a slow loss or no loss? I gave up on many weight loss attempts because they weren't "fast enough", now, years later, I wish I hadn't. A slow loss is better than no loss, and, with 25 pounds to lose, 3 pounds in a month isn't even a slow loss. Just keep doing what you've been doing and don't stress about speed.
  • kalch
    kalch Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    go for 1 pound a week. youll keep it off that way.