• LizzieMdp
    LizzieMdp Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ?!

Why are you people being soooo RUDE?!?!

If you dislike my post, then avoid it!!
    Or give opinion that it is not of use for MFPals :/

Why be soooo rude?!
    I think people like being mean and rude at others expense...Some comments are just uncalled for! I could have sworn we were all adults here!!!
    Yeah :smile:
    Now I feel like good people are around!! :smile: :smile:
  • LizzieMdp
    Options
    also it is 100% true that not everyone on MFP knows this.

I have people on my friends list who eat fast food EVERY SINGLE DAY, but feel their diet is sufficient because they've eaten under their calorie goal.

Which I believe is what the thread creator was referring to.

ABSOLUTELY!!
    Thank Goodness!! Atleast someone understood!! :smile:

Yeah, really, my friend list has such people!!
    I feel soooo odd :/
    I mean I feel odd to even tell them, coz, they aren't even ready to accept this Fact!! :O
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    yah they have to realize it on their own I think =)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I just put on four pounds overnight because I had dairy. ): So I hear ya and I understand what you're saying. :)

Stupid intolerances and digestion issues!!!
  • LizzieMdp
    Options
    I just put on four pounds overnight because I had dairy. ): So I hear ya and I understand what you're saying. :)

Awww Hun....
    Many nutrients such as gluten also cause weight gain :/
    Beware of those too!! :smile: :heart: :heart:
  • penrbrown
    Options

Awww Hun....

:) I'm allergic to gluten and that one I never touch. I was just experimenting with the dairy. NEVER AGAIN! Haha.
  • LizzieMdp
    Options

Awww Hun....

:) I'm allergic to gluten and that one I never touch. I was just experimenting with the dairy. NEVER AGAIN! Haha.
    Woooow!! I am amazed and Glad!! You atleast found out the intolerance!! :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying, but I'm going to disagree with it.

I eat cake. I eat whatever I want in moderation. And I'm still losing weight. Do I try to get plenty of veggies, fruits, lean protein, healthy fats, and whole grains? Yes, of course. But I also eat ice cream, chocolate, restaurant food, etc. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.....and having an all or nothing attitude is what causes most people to be unsuccessful long term.
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    Right now I eat what I want in moderation and aim to be under my calorie goal. When I hit a plateau, I will change around my diet. I do try to eat my fruits and veggies. I don't like any seafood, which is a bummer, because I know certain kinds of fish are really good for the body. It's not all or nothing for me. Moderation is what I am working on. When I reach my goal, I want to be able to continue eating in moderation. If I quit all the foods I love cold turkey, I will most likely binge on them and find myself WAY off track. Different strokes for different folks.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Lactose and gluten do not cause weight gain unless you eat over your calorie maintenance levels. This thread really is erroneous. Calories matter. For weight loss, calories are the only things that matter. Health is a different story, but for weight loss, it is all about calories. Eat less than you burn, you lose weight. Period.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Lactose and gluten do not cause weight gain unless you eat over your calorie maintenance levels and/or are allergic to them. This thread really is erroneous. Calories matter. For weight loss, calories are the only things that matter. Health is a different story, but for weight loss, it is all about calories. Eat less than you burn, you lose weight. Period.

Fixed!

The 'weight gain' I experience when I eat my allergens is due entirely to bloating and a body that is freaking out.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Lactose and gluten do not cause weight gain unless you eat over your calorie maintenance levels and/or are allergic to them. This thread really is erroneous. Calories matter. For weight loss, calories are the only things that matter. Health is a different story, but for weight loss, it is all about calories. Eat less than you burn, you lose weight. Period.

Fixed!

The 'weight gain' I experience when I eat my allergens is due entirely to bloating and a body that is freaking out.

Then, that's not weight gain. That's bloating. Entirely different things.
  • penrbrown
    Options

Fixed!

Then, that's not weight gain. That's bloating. Entirely different things.

And those who don't know this would assume it WAS weight gain. Which is the point. Don't freak out. It's not actual weight gain even if it shows up as such on the scale.

I've had a lot of experience with this. :) I can balloon 4lbs overnight if I touch my allergens but that 'weight gain' goes away after my body has healed.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    Wanted to ask you people, that do you know, not only calorie counting, but nutrient tracking for your body helps better weight loss.

For eg: If people with lactose intolerance eat under calorie goal, but, when they consume lactose, their body weight or say inches increases. Y? Coz their body is incapable of digesting lactose...

The same way, few people get thin even after counting cakes in diet, but others remain fat...

All this depends on your body's capability to digest any particular nutrient.
    I just wanted to say this to you :)

Happy weight loss :)

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.

You want to eat as healthy as you can because it makes you feel better and perform better, and makes you healthier. There are a bunch of tricks and clean eating; reducing sugar (especially HFCS), fiber, white flour vs whole grain, low carb, low fat, on and on. All that matters is calories for weight loss. If you need to eat a certain way for health reasons or to feel better do it, but extensive good food and bad food lists will drive you insane at some point, it’s a constantly moving target. Just eat what you like, mostly healthy, mostly balanced, within a calorie budget.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying, but I'm going to disagree with it.

I eat cake. I eat whatever I want in moderation. And I'm still losing weight. Do I try to get plenty of veggies, fruits, lean protein, healthy fats, and whole grains? Yes, of course. But I also eat ice cream, chocolate, restaurant food, etc. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.....and having an all or nothing attitude is what causes most people to be unsuccessful long term.

I agree with this. I eat fast food because it's convenient, but come in under on my macros (well sugar and I have a harsh relationship). I get plenty of good nutrients as well. When I get closer to my goal weight do I think I'll have to eat differently than I am now? Yeah. But you can't change your entire habits overnight. Every day I make a better decision than the day before and if people get on my case for eating fast food, that's their problem not mine.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    to put the gluten debate to rest - undiagnosed celiacs DO in fact gain ACTUAL WEIGHT with prolonged gluten ingestion.

Because gluten triggers an auto-immune response in the small intestine, the villi get destroyed and the person has a hard time absorbing nutrients. As such, the body begins to store what it CAN absorb - much in the same way that our bodies would if we fed them too little for an extended period of time.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    As long as you burn more calories then you eat, junk food in moderation and not everyday will not hinder your weight loss efforts.
  • kindalinda
    Options
    I get the original post...that you should be mindful of your nutritional intake, not just caloric intake. Thanks for making that point to motivate readers to be aware of nutrition in your diet, not just calories. A good point indeed!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    OP, something you should know about people on the internet: Many of them have giant, GIANT egos. Not all, but many.

I got the meaning of what you were saying. You should pay attention to more than just calorie intake and make sure you're actually eating healthily. Very good advice!