Weight Loss and Running Pace

Options
Any runners notice a big change in pace with weight loss, even five-ten pounds? I haven't really lost anything in awhile, just the same couple of pounds up and down for a long time, I just need one more reason to do better with my eating lol.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I just need one more reason to do better with my eating lol.

Weight loss and a healthy body are not good enough reasons? =/
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is 2 seconds per mile per lb.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Any runners notice a big change in pace with weight loss, even five-ten pounds? I haven't really lost anything in awhile, just the same couple of pounds up and down for a long time, I just need one more reason to do better with my eating lol.
    I read your profile and see that you follow the Roadmap - yay! How long has it been since you ran your numbers there? Have you maybe lost weight since you started? Have your measurements changed? It may be that you need to make some adjustments since it's been awhile.

Also, reading your question again because I'm not sure if I'm reading it right - are you asking if losing a few pounds helps increase your pace when running, or if increasing your pace will help you lose more weight? :tongue:

One other thing - you look fantastic in your profile pic, by the way - if you're close to your "goal" weight, it may just take longer to see changes on the scale, which is why the measurements are important to track. I am nearly there, but have been up and down the same few pounds for months as well. But inches and fat are still coming off, and I need new pants like nobody's business! :laugh:
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Short answer is yes. Longer answer is based what type of running you do. If you are doing the same distance and pace for all your runs, speed improvement will slow and eventually stop, even with weight loss. If you are mixing it up (speed work, hills, cross training, etc), those things will improve your speed with or without weight loss.
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I haven't been running for very long, but absolutely yes! Every couple of pounds makes a difference in my speed and comfort level :)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Yes!

I went from a 12:30/mile to a sub 8:00 after losing 60 lbs. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

Yes definitely. When I dropped the fat my running performance improved. Also when I did weight training for my legs it also improved my performance. Sometimes my legs were sore from weight training and it temporarily slowed down my running, but once my muscles healed and recovered my running performance improved even more.

Yes! Think of running with a back pack, once you drop the pack running gets better.. that is what happens when you lose the fat but it's gradual. It's awesome!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120 pounds since I started runing 5 years ago. When I started my mile time was around 14 minutes. Last Monday I ran a mile in 7:55 so yeah weight loss will make you faster. In marathons they say you'll run 5 minutes faster for every 5 pounds you lose.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    When I'm struggling on a run I imagine how much harder it would be if I had a weight pack on my back of all the weight I've lost so far (not a lot but every pound counts). i might even do it with a pack filled with my lost weight when i reach my goal so i can know how far ive come :smile:
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I read your profile and see that you follow the Roadmap - yay! How long has it been since you ran your numbers there? Have you maybe lost weight since you started? Have your measurements changed? It may be that you need to make some adjustments since it's been awhile.

Also, reading your question again because I'm not sure if I'm reading it right - are you asking if losing a few pounds helps increase your pace when running, or if increasing your pace will help you lose more weight? :tongue:

One other thing - you look fantastic in your profile pic, by the way - if you're close to your "goal" weight, it may just take longer to see changes on the scale, which is why the measurements are important to track. I am nearly there, but have been up and down the same few pounds for months as well. But inches and fat are still coming off, and I need new pants like nobody's business! :laugh:

My measurements have changed, I have made improvements in my pace, I am 23 pounds from my ultimate goal, 14 pounds from healthy range for bmi. I guess I phrased this question weird, I am asking how much will losing weight help my pace, NOT how a faster pace will help me lose weight:). I was looking for others who saw a good increase in their pace with weight lost, but without changing their training. I train hard but my pace hasn't improved as much as I would like, and I feel like my weight is what is holding me back. Just wanted to hear some sort of success story about how losing x number more pounds made x difference in my pace or something like that :).
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You will be able to run faster with weight loss. It's difficult to say how much faster due to weight loss alone because continued training contributes also.

If you post your typical weekly training schedule along with how long you've been running, how fast you do your training runs, and any race times, someone might be able to look at it and determine why you aren't improving as much as you think you should be.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    most definitely, I've shaved a minute off per km so far, and have noticed the following other side benefits:

less chafing
    less joint pain
    less foot pain
    more FUN
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    I go back to my original post. Since you are close to your goal weight, speed improvement by weight loss is minimal. You're at a point where improvements are going to be made through diversifying your workouts. Also look at it this way, if you are looking at speed improvement only through weight loss, were you going to be happy with your times once you hit goal weight because then your speed will flat line (based on the weight loss=better times theory). And it's not about training hard, you can train hard and not improve. It's about training better when it comes to speed improvement. An example of your workouts would be helpful if you are looking for advise.