A question for runners, please!

Hi :)

I am pretty new to running, just finishing up a couch 2 5k program now. I pushed through shin splints until they finally went away and had been running pain free. But I recently starting pushing myself to either run faster or further during my workouts. Now I have an ache on the inner and outer sides of my lower legs... feels like shin splints, just not on the shin ;) What would you guys do for that? Ice, Heat, Ibuprofen, or maybe those icy hot patches? I only run every other day, so I don't think I'm over-doing it.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    I started getting this too and what fixed it for me was stretching out my legs and back like crazy. One particular stretch I learned in a yoga class seemed to help. spread your legs really really wide with your feet pointing forward and then do a forward bend as far down as you can go without pushing yourself too hard. Fidget with positioning until you feel it stretching the muscles you are talking about.

Hope that helps!
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    I will try that, thank you so much! Maybe I do need to stretch more, especially since it's freezing in the mornings now!
  • jonesie84
    jonesie84 Posts: 73 Member
    I had that same pain. I actually do alot of stretching beforehand, but I ended up needing better supporting shoes. I recommend if there is a place near you that lets you get on a treadmill and they see where you put most of your weight when you run, its well worth it! If you dont want to pay an arm and a leg for their shoes, they will give you great ideas. I now run 3-5 miles every night and am pain free! I found shoes with good support and they were on sale for $35!

22233788.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lizapettit
    That too may be part of the problem. I actually wear the Nike free runs because I can't STAND anything bulky on my feet. Plus they are the only shoes that don't give me blisters. BUT, I have had several people tell me they are no good for support/joints and such. Thanks!
  • summerfool
    summerfool Posts: 72 Member
    I've had this same problem and haven't known what to do about it. Thanks for posting the topic and for those who have offered advice.
  • I am just getting over my shin problems. I am a new runner, too. I do not follow the c25k program, but I am running a 5k anyways on Thanksgiving day. This will set a baseline, and also help raise about $1 Million for the hungry in my city. I feel good about it. I feel great about being able to run! I AM A NONSMOKER, AND IT FEELS GREAT!!!! WOOHOO
  • jonesie84
    jonesie84 Posts: 73 Member
    If you can find them, i recommend Rykas. Kelly Ripa recommends them. They are mostly mesh so they are light, and are made specifically for women!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Be sure to stretch both the gastroc and soleus (calf muscles) after a run. Many times, people stretch the gastroc only.

soleus_stretch.jpg

Foam roller might help too.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    massage!!! :) easy way to massage those areas yourself is to take a rolling pin and roll it up and down the sides. hope you feel better!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Be sure to stretch both the gastroc and soleus (calf muscles) after a run. Many times, people stretch the gastroc only.

soleus_stretch.jpg

Foam roller might help too.

That picture right there - that's the stretch I like the best. Feels soooooo good after a run!
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    I've had that exact same problem, it got really bad this week and the pain was relentless. I gave in and went to see a physiotherapist this morning who immediately spotted the cause of the problem. I have flat feet! I've never noticed this before because I've never run before EVER :blushing: He referred me to a podiatrist who said I need shoe inserts to provide extra support for my ankles and calf muscles which should fix the problem and get me running again soon. He said i need to be fitted for the inserts asap but did say that store bought ones should help in the meantime. I'm also having a deep tissue massage tomorrow on the advice of a running coach who's also a qualified sports therapist in the hope of fixing the muscle faster than resting will.
    p.s. I'm also new to running and am already completely addicted. I must be because normally an injury would see me quitting for good :happy:
  • I had a similar issue which I neglected until I had a stress fracture of the Fibula. It may be that you are pushing to far to fast. May want to switch to the bike for a couple of weeks and see if it calms down. Mine started as a very sharp pain when I pushed on the bone after running trying to figure out what hurt. Best of luck to you.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    massage!!! :) easy way to massage those areas yourself is to take a rolling pin and roll it up and down the sides. hope you feel better!
    thanks for the tip i've been struggling to massage my poor hurting calves this is a genius solution :flowerforyou:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    I agree with the stretching, massage, and GOOD SHOES! Good shoes (the correct shoes for you) and keep running. The more your body adjusts to running the less you have these issues. I remember getting shin splints and these other issues over 30 years ago and honestly I can say I've never had any issues in the last 20 years or so and I have run marathons, ultra marathons, and everything in between.

Here is an article to help you start with finding the right type of shoe for you, and then it's good to get fitted at a running store. Once you find a brand that works you can usually keep buying it when you need a new pair. http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoe-basics/pronation-explained
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I had a similar issue which I neglected until I had a stress fracture of the Fibula. It may be that you are pushing to far to fast. May want to switch to the bike for a couple of weeks and see if it calms down. Mine started as a very sharp pain when I pushed on the bone after running trying to figure out what hurt. Best of luck to you.

Same here. I was typically running every other day, but switching from outside running all summer to treadmill running last fall/winter seemed to make things worse. I ignored it until one fast two mile run left me limping the rest of the way home. Rested a week with no improvement, then went to the urgent care and was on the bench for 6-8 weeks.

I also get sore when I'm due for new shoes.
  • lizapettit
    Thank you guys so much! I am going to try ALL of your recommendations, whatever it takes to keep me on the trail ;)

This is why I love MFP, when I tell my family/friends I'm going for a run, they look at me like....... :noway:
  • vaemn
    vaemn Posts: 1 Member
    Make sure when you are running that your steps are short and quick. When you lengthen your stride, it tells your quads to "STOP!" This has been a big AH-HA for me and makes it easier on your body.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Speed was the culprit when I would hurt myself before. I was trying to go too fast. Now I just keep jogging for as long as I can and take short walk breaks when needed. I try to make sure my stride isn't too long. It's more relaxing to run like this but it's still a challenge and builds your endurance. Slow and steady as far as training yourself to go faster/further. Be careful about running through pain... you can end up making things a lot worse and greatly increasing your downtime.

I'd also suggest making sure not to stretch cold muscles, it can actually make them tighter or cause injury. Do a little warmup first, a light walk/jog for a few minutes, jumping jacks, or just stretch after your run. That is my advice... but there are more experienced people here for sure, if anyone disagrees that this is good info, please say so. :smile:
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Go to a running store and have them show you the shoes you need for your gait. Stretch before and after your runs. You may also want to start slow for th efirst 5 minutes to get warmed up before a run.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    STRETCHING!!!! A lot!!

You're calf muscles need to be stretched well before a run, but moreso after a run. For now - advil and massage will be your best help. Take a few days off to rest the muscles and then before you run make sure you warm up and stretch and after you run stretch more! The pain will ease.