Strength Challenge: New strength by New Year!

Options
I see a lot of people issuing exercise-related challenges on here that involve traveling a certain amount of distance or banging out a certain amount of reps. Well, I thought of an idea for a different kind of challenge that I'm hoping people will get into:

You have until the New Year to train your strength up to the point where you can do one clean, smooth, controlled rep at a bodyweight-based exercise that you are currently unable to do. It could be something as simple as conventional-style pushups (if you currently can only do them from your knees) or something as advanced as handstand pushups. I've already met my goal of being able to do pullups, so now I am currently working on 3 different ones: The handstand pushup (with wall for balance support), the suspended dip (full bodyweight dip) and the muscle up. Who's in?

Replies

• ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Great idea. So often we are so concerned about our weight loss we forget that some of our muscles are going through atrophy due to lack of use. (a bit exagerted but I think you get my point)

I start adding weights to my workouts next week so for me I am going to go for a pull up and might as well go for a dip as well.

I am in!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I will do a chin up by new years.
    I weigh 255 lbs.
    Wish me luck.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    good luck, ce_fit and Wellbert! I hope this pans out =)
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Count me in for a bodyweight dip as well.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Welcome and good luck, lachesissss!
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Cmon, anybody else in?
  • happyandconfident
    Options
    This is a great idea!!! My goal will be to able to do pistol squats.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Welcome happyandconfident, and I hope you meet your goal. That's a good one!
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    nobody else? =/
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I wanna do 10 "real" men pushups by Christmas. Right now I can do them on my knees.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I wanna do 10 "real" men pushups by Christmas. Right now I can do them on my knees.

There you go!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    This sounds like an awesome challenge!
    But there are so many strength related things that I cannot do that I would like to be able to do... how to choose?!?! :tongue:

I'll go with pull-ups. I would love to have enough strength to do 1 pull-up by New Years Day.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    This sounds like an awesome challenge!
    But there are so many strength related things that I cannot do that I would like to be able to do... how to choose?!?! :tongue:

I'll go with pull-ups. I would love to have enough strength to do 1 pull-up by New Years Day.

One pull-up it is! Practice by doing negatives =)