Vanity Sizing - Friend or foe?

Options
13»

Replies

• sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It is ridiculous!!! In high school I wore size 9-12 pants. Now I wear 2-3, and it ISN'T because I have lost that much weight. The other day I went shopping with my mom and she was astonished that I bought a size 1 at Old Navy. It is embarassing to say, I did feel a sense of pride, even though deep down inside, I know that is not true sizing.

Old Navy is the WORST.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point out that i see and hear so often "Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 and she was gorgeous and beautiful and curvy and society is effed up with regard to expectations of women today" bla bla bla.

Uh, yeah, a size 14 when in her day is a standard size 6-8 now.
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Count me for the hate it column. Since I am now the leanest I have been in 25 years, I went deep in the depths of my closet and clothes that fit, were all at least one size bigger than the size I am wearing in newer clothes, I get so envious about men's sizes. They are what they are. At least bra sizes haven't changed. I have heard that it is a real problem in bridal salons, even though the brides know their regular size is one size larger in bridal, they just hate the idea that their wedding dress is a size bigger, especially if they needed to work at getting fit. The sizes are also the old fashioned larger sizes in patterns for sewers.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I find it frustrating. I dont think it should be allowed until they allow vanity sized food measuring cups.

Like - this is actually 2 cups of pasta, but the measuring cup says 1 cup, so its cool- now 1 = 2 cups... OMFG MY SCIENCE GLAND JUST SHUT DOWN IN REBELLION
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Guess I might be the odd ball in this thread, but I still pay very close attention to the number on the tag. If its not a number I want...I wont buy it. Stupid - yes I know.... but its my psycho brain and its one thing I can't really let go of right now. Granted I don't pay *as* much attention b/c here lately I fall into a 4 or 6 regardless. This past weekend actually fit into a 2 - so I will fully admit....it made me happy b/c at that store I used to be a solid 6!! So I know I've made progress.

I do find it frustrating and will admit that, but I still pay too much attention to it. :grumble:
  • treyedwin
    Options
    I really have no say on vanity sizing, being a guy that also has no idea the difference between a 0 and a 0 with a 1 in front of it. ( Not to mention i think everyone else has said their bit on it.) I just wanted to suggest for anyone who is trying to judge their weight loss by sizes, don't. If you're female for sure.

I've never been really considered overweight but i'm in a leaning phase of my workout regiment and i lost a couple of inches off my waist just by leaning down a bit, but the weight really comes off all over your body, even though you have specific areas where you ahve more. Do your periodic pictures, use the measuring tape on all the main sections of the body and just pick the size of clothing that you used to be closest too untill you narrow it down to what you wanted :P Belt notches are more accurate than clothing size when tracking goals.

Sorry ladies that you all have to deal with "vanity sizing". Maybe you should start working on that vote to get women's clothing sizing changed :)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    OK, I agree it is frustrating as heck unless you always shop at the same 1 store, but even their suppliers change.

But, even though I know they all fit the same way, I love it when I can buy a pair of 10s and feel like a 10 out of 10 because somedays I need that kind of morale boost. I'm only human.
  • CaptChad75
    Options
    I just rip the tag off of my smaller sized levi jeans and sew it onto my bigger pair :-) so according to my jeans I'm a 6'2" 225lb dude in a 34 x 32 relaxed.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I dont care..

Clothe sizes mean nothing to me, they dont make sad and they dont make me happy. I can not even tell you what size I am right now
  • punkinkat
    punkinkat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I find it frustrating. I dont think it should be allowed until they allow vanity sized food measuring cups.

Like - this is actually 2 cups of pasta, but the measuring cup says 1 cup, so its cool- now 1 = 2 cups... OMFG MY SCIENCE GLAND JUST SHUT DOWN IN REBELLION

LMAO!! Hear, here!! :laugh: