lifting and losing

Options
I'm hesitant to ask my question because people can be so mean on here but here goes. I've been lifting. I'm doing the strong lifts program and LOVING it! I love how empowered I feel when I'm there and when I'm done and when I'm sore. I do this 3 times a week. The day after I'm STARVING. I've heard this is normal and I've begun to up my protien and water on these days. I have not really gone over my TDEE -25% calorie goal and I've been lifting for 2 weeks. ok so here is the question:

I'm not losing..like at all. I know I know inches and all and I agree looking better but I do have about 45lbs to lose. Do I need to adjust something? Stick it out and it will start moving again? I'm afraid to go lower on calories cause I'm happy here not indulging but not depriving myself etc....

Ideas? Just stick it out? I gues what I'm really asking is: is this normal?

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    You have only been lifting for 2 weeks, i would give it more time for sure
  • emandlukeplusone
    emandlukeplusone Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love it. So I'm not planning on giving it up. I just wondered if I should increase cardio decrease/increase calories etc.
    I'm never going to quit lifing, best thing I've done, ever.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
  • clopez1987
    clopez1987 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would give it about a week or so longer! ..do you do any cardio at all?
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 days a week I have lost about 6lbs since I started lifting and its only been a month and a half. My inches however, are flying off, my body is tighter my muscles more defined, when lifting the scale is really not as important as the measuring tape. You will lose very slowly scale wise.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If you've only been doing it for two weeks then your muscles are likely still adjusting to the new routine. Give it another two weeks at least doing what you're doing before you tweak anything.

Sorry if that came off mean.

Edit: I just re-read and saw that you're at TDEE -25%. If it were me I might bump that back a little to -15 or -20% at most.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm hesitant to ask my question because people can be so mean on here but here goes. I've been lifting. I'm doing the strong lifts program and LOVING it! I love how empowered I feel when I'm there and when I'm done and when I'm sore. I do this 3 times a week. The day after I'm STARVING. I've heard this is normal and I've begun to up my protien and water on these days. I have not really gone over my TDEE -25% calorie goal and I've been lifting for 2 weeks. ok so here is the question:

I'm not losing..like at all. I know I know inches and all and I agree looking better but I do have about 45lbs to lose. Do I need to adjust something? Stick it out and it will start moving again? I'm afraid to go lower on calories cause I'm happy here not indulging but not depriving myself etc....

While you are continuing to put a heavier load on your body, you are asking it to improve.
    Those improvements usually have little to do with weight loss.

But fat is used for energy, as your LBM increases, and hopefully you are retaining muscle.

Confirm you weigh-in when not sore. If sore, false weight gain.

Inches lost means fat lost.

Did you base your TDEE on BMR based on bodyfat%, or age, weight, height? Katch BMR on BF% is more accurate, and could change your TDEE, and therefore your deficit.

25% is big deficit, usually 20% is max. And your being very hungry day later proves it.

Redo BMR and TDEE if not based on BF% (and fat2fit does NOT use that, if that's what you used).
    Confirm activity level is for your 3hrs a week Lightly Active - unless your job is more active than desk job.
    Only take 20% deficit.
  • emandlukeplusone
    Options
    My goal is to get as close to 1799 as possible.
  • slamb1020
    slamb1020 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hm.. looks like we are oppositte here! i have been a runner FOREVER! so i always do cardio.. and i just this week have started incorporating weight lifting and resistance training..! i would say yes.. add some more cardio before you are hitting the weights.. i run 2-3 miles before.. but thats just me.. but like others have said.. its only been about 2 weeks.. so give it about another 2-3 to see some solid results.. :)
  • emandlukeplusone
    Options
    i do cardio 2-3 times a week mainly walking
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    i do cardio 2-3 times a week mainly walking

Great easy cardio as recovery to the lifting. Allows you to get the most out of the lifting, which is going to burn the most fat.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'd say give it a couple more weeks. If you still are seeing absolutely no movement on the scale, then maybe lower your calorie level a bit.

This is assuming you are not already running a low calorie level. For me, at 5'8", even 1500 is really low. What is low for you will depend on your height, build and activity level. If your calorie level is too low, you may even need to up your calories a bit before you can start losing weight.
  • emandlukeplusone
    Options

While you are continuing to put a heavier load on your body, you are asking it to improve.
    Those improvements usually have little to do with weight loss.

But fat is used for energy, as your LBM increases, and hopefully you are retaining muscle.

Confirm you weigh-in when not sore. If sore, false weight gain.

Inches lost means fat lost.

Did you base your TDEE on BMR based on bodyfat%, or age, weight, height? Katch BMR on BF% is more accurate, and could change your TDEE, and therefore your deficit.

25% is big deficit, usually 20% is max. And your being very hungry day later proves it.

Redo BMR and TDEE if not based on BF% (and fat2fit does NOT use that, if that's what you used).
    Confirm activity level is for your 3hrs a week Lightly Active - unless your job is more active than desk job.
    Only take 20% deficit.

Thank you for your help. My TDEE is based on age weight height I believe. I had a friend get all my info and calculate it for me so I'm not certain. Would I need to use a heart rate moniter to figure out TDEE the other way? (I'm sure I can do some research online and figure it out on my own. as far as activity level I do usually do lightly active (however I have 2 toddler boys so pretty active.) I will look into decreasing my deficit and checking into my TDEE thank you!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If you just added the lifting and it makes you hungry, the reason is that you need to be eating more. You were at caloric deficit without the activity and now your muscles are telling you they need more calories to get stronger.

I'd start ramping up your protein intake slightly and see where that gets you. I bet you gain muscle and lose fat.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I think a good balance of lifting and cardio is smart. But just walking -- though it's 'cardio' it's not really doing anything for you (strengthening your heart) or burning that many calories. I'd try more intense cardio a couple times a week and 1-2 days light cardio (walking after your lifting session)..... By more intense cardio I mean running or stairclimber or something like that. lifting is great - but you want to strengthen your heart too -- all around fitness, not just muscles.

ETA -- UP YOUR PROTEIN - especially on days you lift. and you should only be at 20% below your tdee, max.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If you just added the lifting and it makes you hungry, the reason is that you need to be eating more. You were at caloric deficit without the activity and now your muscles are telling you they need more calories to get stronger.

I'd start ramping up your protein intake slightly and see where that gets you. I bet you gain muscle and lose fat.

Bet she don't
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing. It's going to take more than two weeks to see results.

Make sure you are taking measurements. And take pictures also.
  • Lemonaiding
    Lemonaiding Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Do not become frustrated! (says the person who is constantly frustrated)

I have been lifting 3x a week alternating running 4-7 miles 3x a week, I'm on a second round of NROLFW while I read Starting Strength. This regimen has been consistent for about 12 weeks now. I have lost maybe 3-6 pounds throughout. BUT my clothes are feeling looser in the right areas. My body feels solid and tight even though I still have fat to lose. You're sculpting your body. Just think what it will look like 2-3 years from now! Keep it up and you'll have sculpted a fine masterpiece.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Hm.. looks like we are oppositte here! i have been a runner FOREVER! so i always do cardio.. and i just this week have started incorporating weight lifting and resistance training..! i would say yes.. add some more cardio before you are hitting the weights.. i run 2-3 miles before.. but thats just me.. but like others have said.. its only been about 2 weeks.. so give it about another 2-3 to see some solid results.. :)

Pleas don't ever do cardio before you do weights - you will have nothing left and your lifts won't be fun....Do weights first and then go do cardio if you want to do both on the same day...
    Two weeks is not enough, I've been lifting for 6 months, and I am always reataining water the day after - weigh yourself on a rest or cardio day.....
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You're not alone.

I began lifting heavy (heavy as I can) in June and at first I was seeing no results on the scale, but my clothes started to fit looser and I was dropping inches. I notice it takes a while for the scale to catch up, and I've been losing weight a lot slower since lifting BUT I am looking and feeling better than ever. Keep it up, it sounds like you're on the right track. Try to mix in 30m of cardio here and there to help balance things out. I notice weeks I incorporate more cardio (1-2 hours a week) I see more results on the scale.

Hope that helps a little.