Protein is the New Black

Options
I'm reading New Rules of Lifting for Women and I loved reading: 'Protein is to diets what black is to fashion - it makes us thinner.

I agree and eat 30% protein (40/30/30 is recommended by the book). If more protein is beneficial to weight loss and muscle gain, why are so many people eating the low low 15%?

Maybe you're losing, but if you could be losing MORE or be looking better, then why not?

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I also eat 30% protein. People on my friend list who eat 15% are almost ALWAYS over their goal.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Protein is sexy.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    So what your saying is

Once you go black you'll never go back?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    So what your saying is

Don't act like you don't know.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Reported for racism.
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This post is GaGa approved.

GAGA.jpg
  • DaphneAtx
    Options
    So what your saying is

Actually, I've never...well, that's for a different post.

I'm not saying eat low carb, I'm just saying EAT MORE PROTEIN! I would love to hear from some of the people eating 15%.

I've lost 22lbs since mid-September and I only have 25 total to lose. I never thought it would come off this quickly.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    All silly jokes aside, I agree!

IMO, Protein > Carbs. Works for me ;)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I cut back my protein from 30% to 20% because my kidneys were getting sore.
    They feel better now at the lower percentage. I traded for fat (intake).
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to 15%, but I almost always go over. I'm actually going to switch it to 30% the first of December and monitor what happens over the course of the month. I always feel better when I consume more protein.
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    Mine is set to 15%, but I almost always go over. I'm actually going to switch it to 30% the first of December and monitor what happens over the course of the month. I always feel better when I consume more protein.

Me too! I'm going to change mine as well starting next week.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Once you go protein you never go back.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I eat over 100 g a day, easily. My results have been great.
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    I eat over 100 g a day, easily. My results have been great.

Wow, I would say so!!!
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yup higher protein keeps you full longer! I have over 75g a day or more!
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm reading New Rules of Lifting for Women and I loved reading: 'Protein is to diets what black is to fashion - it makes us thinner.

I agree and eat 30% protein (40/30/30 is recommended by the book). If more protein is beneficial to weight loss and muscle gain, why are so many people eating the low low 15%?

Maybe you're losing, but if you could be losing MORE or be looking better, then why not?

Love this book!!
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I agree. Each week i am working on making my protein intake higher. Up to 63g just with dinner for my next week!
  • NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I keep my protein at 20% or below. I am also vegetarian, don't eat eggs and am phasing out dairy. I definitely don't want to start an internet argument, so I'll stop there. (I'm on a medication that can wreak havoc with the kidneys also, so that is part of my reasoning)
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I eat a LOT of protein. A LOT. 1.5g/LBM and I'm not a small chick. It works for me.. it makes my lady-muscles grow and get stronger despite my deficit. I <3 some protein... and that doesn't always mean meat- tofu, beans, even veggies.. all have protein. :-) But I eat a lot of meat. hah
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    So where are those 15% people?