Training for a Half-Marathon in six months?

Options
I really want something to focus my weight loss again and Denver annually hosts the Colfax marathon. They have so many different races to participate in (5k, 10k, half, marathon, relays) and I want to train for it.

Is it feasible to train for a half-marathon in six months without a whole lot of running experience? Or should I look at the 10k instead?

Replies

• KayandBelle
    KayandBelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Six months should be time to train for a half marathon. Hal Higdon has a good schedule online you can follow. It took me 4 months to go from barely able to run a mile at a 12-13 min pace to 12 miles at 11:30 min/mile pace running 3 times a week.
    You can search the internet for free running schedules and advice.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon 7 months after starting the C25K plan. I was in lousy shape and weighed 350lbs. So if you are in any kind of shape 6 months would not be a problem. There are many plans out there and most are 12-16 weeks long. I personally use Hal Higdon plans. I used his HM Novice 1 plan to train up to 12 weeks out then started his Novice 2 plan up to the race.

Good luck!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    6 months is plenty of time. Spend the next few months slowly building your base (run easy and increase weekly mileage 5-10% per week, with some cutbacks) 12-14 weeks out find a good beginner training plan (Higdon, Galloway) that will help you with more targeted distances and paces. The Colfax half is great, it is slightly uphill to the halfway point (not so bad) and slightly downhill on the way back (not too much to kill your legs, but it makes for strong finishes.) Have fun.
  • desertsparrow
    Options
    I agree with above posters, C25K is an awesome program! Halfies are addicting, and are so much fun! Good luck!
  • mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree - slightly. Yes, most people can train for a half without much running experience in 6 months but unless you're unusual, it's not going to be much fun - either training or running. You'll constantly be asking yourself why you're doing it. And during training, you won't have the experience to know if aches and pains are serious or not, you won't have the experience to know how to adjust your diet, etc. Yes, you can do a lot of reading but you won't have the experience to know how to evaluate what you're reading.

It would be so much more fun if you had some running experience - at least a year, two would be even better. There are a zillion 5K and 10K races out there. Why not start with those? Is there some reason you have to jump to a HM so quickly? I wouldn't recommend people sign up for a HM until they've done a bunch of 10K races and are comfortable about them.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I trained from never running to running my first 1/2 in 7 mths. It's doable but start slow and don't worry about time. Also get some 5Ks or even a 10K under your belt so you are aware of the race feel and race ettiquite. Like I said its doable but I also developed IT Band syndrome 4 weeks out from my 1/2 from hard core training; so you do risk possible injury. My advice? Give yourself 9 mths-1 yr.
  • Candysland2013
    Options
    Yes u can do it in 6 months ... It's possible