how do I burn more calories then I take in??

Options
I exercise 30 minutes a day which is about 128 calories. Im eating about 1200 calories a day. I was told I have to burn more calories then I take in.

How do I do this?? What kind of workouts?? Im a stay at home mom who cant get to a gym

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    you burn calories all day long. look up your resting metabolic rate and you will see what you would burn if you laid in bed all day.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Also, MFP puts you at a deficit to begin with. If you're only eating 1200 cals a day, you're probably at a 1,000 calorie deficit every day. So that helps! 1750 cals is 1/2 a pound. So if you can find a way to burn 750 cals (which can be done in an hour of intense exercise), you can lose a good bit of weight every week :)
    Throw the kids in the stroller & go for a jog (200-300 cals), do your normal workout on top of that (128), that's already 328-428 right there! 750 total from that is just a hop and a skip from there :)
  • michellejayne
    Options
    i do aerobics at home, just alot of jumping and moving around, pretend to jump rope and move side to side and move the arms lots as this raises the heart rate more, jump, kick whatever you can do, even marchi do this for 20 min and then i do hand weights( 5 lbs ones) for 5 min and ab exercises for 5 min and burn close to 350 so i just set a timer and go hard til it stops and so far a see resultss, i also bought Jillian Micheals last chance workout, good exercises and it is listed daily so each day is a different circut and can all be done in your living room, but you need hand weights with her videos to!!
  • heathercolem
    Options
    Most likely 1200 calories is already below what your body needs in a day so the deficit between 1200 calories and what you need is how many calories you are burning. Also, exercise will help tone you and allow you to eat a few more calories. It seems counter to your goals to get to eat more calories when exercising, but you don't want your body to go into starvation mode. Do the calculations provided by MFP to find out how many calories you need a day and that will tell you the deficit you are creating by eating 1200 calories.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm been doing a low-impact aerobics dvd from home and I love it! I burn about 300 cals in 40 mins. Try looking for an aerobics video or a cardio video. That's what I do. :drinker: