I feel embarrassed...

Options
2»

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about any of this stuff. Every day is an opportunity to re-invent yourself. Negitive thoughts are a hinderence to reaching your goals.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You have had a reality check and it hurts.
    Now lock this experience away and use it as motivation to move forward. You are where you are today but next week, next month, next year is in your hands.

Good luck.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 5'2" and the heaviest I was at was 243 in May 2011 and I am now down to a little over 177 (granted i lost weight during the pregnancy but still. I went ahead and rejoined MFP after my son was born and after I couldn't breastfeed anymore). What i can say is that it sucked, but you are on this site, so you are making a step in the right direction. I agree with everyone else here: you will look back at on it and say "what on earth, why?" And you never know, one day you might be able to have a race with him and beat him up the stairs :bigsmile:
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I feel really embarrassed when it shows how out of shape I am. It's obvious I'm overweight, and that's embarrassing in and of itself, but it's really awful when I have to do something in the presence of someone else who doesn't struggle with physical activity. I feel like it makes me seem even fatter than I come across if you just look at me.

I'm a 21-year-old female. At 5'2", I'm right around 200 lbs. I'm not sure I look like I'm 200 lbs., but it's obvious I'm not 100.

Last night, my older male friend who is 6'something and very slender offered me a ride home from the event we were at. He was parked on the 6th floor of the parking garage and insisted that we take the stairs because he was too impatient to wait for the elevator. It was 12 flights in total. At some point, I asked if he didn't believe in elevators. He said he routinely walked to his 10th floor office at work. I said "Yeah your legs are a lot longer than mine." And he said "But yours are a lot younger." I said it didn't feel that way sometimes. My legs felt wobbly around the 9th flight, and by the time I got into his car, I was breathing heavily. It took me a really long time to start breathing normal again, and my heart was still beating hard when I got to my apartment 15 minutes later. Meanwhile, he was completely fine.

I am so embarrassed that he saw how out of shape I am. Part of if motivates me because I don't want to feel this embarrassed around other people again, but another part of me is just really depressed about it...

Dont be embarrassed Lil One. Ima tell ya what my defining moment was...only I didnt pay attention.

A little over a year ago I started having trouble breathing. I was diagnosed with UARS, SDB, and Chronic Severe Asthma. I was immediately put on 2 inhalers, Oxygen at home and a Non Invasive Ventilator with O2 at night. My breathing didnt improve, in fact, now Im limited in doing things. I cant shop anymore, I cant do my own laundry or venture far from home for fear I cant or wont be able to breathe. Ive had all kinds of lung testings and cardio / heart issues. ALL the tests came back clear. I dont even have "smokers lung" and Ive smoked for years. (I quit too FWIW)

The struggle continued...Now the only place I do go is to work...every single day and even walking to and from my car is a struggle sometimes. I recover instantly the minute I stop moving...but its hard and it is embarrassing.

Then in July of this year I landed my big *kitten* in the hospital with a systemic bacterial infection, infectious cellulitis and a raging long standing UTI that I didnt know I had. I had IVs in both arms, a cardiac monitor, lung sensors, an O2 censor, a Co2 sensor on my top lip and full Oxygen. I couldnt get outta bed without help and it hurt beyond words because now I REALLY cant breathe. I also launched an episode of Chronic Vomiting Syndrome and puked 10 minutes out of every hour.....literally

ALL that to say..........I lost 15 pounds in 5 days and when I was discharged from the hospital after a week I went on to drop 35 pounds in the first month and have been losing since. On my first follow up after this I saw my own doctor who had a name for this thing I have causing me to have trouble breathing. The name escapes me but its partially from the weight and partially from a mold issue but what I wanted to focus on was THE MORE WEIGHT I LOSE THE EASIER IT IS TO BREATHE!!!!!

Huni...if I can do this thing........so can you ....come on now...dont give up. Let this and US motivate you

catTGIFyay.jpg
  • psychic_atrophy
    Options
    I know that feelings so well. I often go hiking or jogging with a much fitter friend. I know my limits and that I can't push myself as much as she can. Instead of thinking about how embarrassing it is that I'm huffing and puffing or going much slower, I try to think about how it is helping me get healthier. Every time I push myself and am out of breath, it helps! In fact use it as a marker of your progress, maybe you get out of breath at 9 flights, maybe in a month it will be 10 or 11!
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I'm a 5'2 female, and weighed 207 pounds at my heaviest. In my case, it's not a one-time thing, either; at the beginning of every school year I start off so out of shape that I get to all of my SECOND floor classes out of breath, and it's really embarrassing walking into a classroom full of people and spending the first 5+ minutes trying to breathe normally. It has happened on other occasions, too.

The school that I go to now has a four-floor building (five if you include the basement) so sometimes if I have time I'll just run up as many flights as I can. If I did this on a regular basis, I'd be in better shape, and I wouldn't have a problem - but I'm not going into Chicago just to walk up some darn stairs! :laugh: There are places closer to home I could go to for the same free workout - like my dentist's building, which has 11 floors. Much bigger workout. Now if I walk there (three miles from my house) I'll REALLY get a workout!

Sorry about your embarrassing experience. You're not alone, and you can overcome it! Take care!
  • Captainobvvious
    Captainobvvious Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    That's the kind of thing you have to use to motivate yourself to make the changes in your life you want to make.

Do you want to be in better shape and thinner? I think the answer is "yes", so why don't you do it? Its hard work, if getting in shape was easy everyone would be.

You need to realize you're stronger than you think you are and you can make the change happen.

That's a great profile picture by the way, you look adorable, but if you're not happy with the way your life is only YOU can change it.
  • TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    that embarrassment is what keeps people from exercising and getting fitter i think. i know thinner fitter people probably assume it's laziness but it was definitely not wanting to be seen red faced and sweating and out of breath that made me avoid things for too long. use the motivation, it IS embarrassing. you can change it though. and faster than you'd think too. i did c25k this year and went from being puff out walking fast to being able to run for 45 minutes non stop in a matter of weeks. i no longer fear the stairs :D
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Your post made my heart feel very soft.

About ten years ago I was much heavier than I am now. I always had a feeling my friends disapproved although no one ever said anything directly. One day I was out for a walk with a friend and had trouble keeping up. I think he actually sped up a little, and he didn't say a word. His mouth got tight. I have often though he felt nothing but disgust at my struggle. We're still good friends, and I've seen a big change in him; after going through his own struggles I don't believe this would happen again.

Being heavy is not a moral failing, it doesn't mean anything is wrong with you - the real you, the you that is deep inside. I'm not as sure as everyone else that shame is a good motivator, I find it drives me right to the kitchen so I try not to indulge in it. I also think we can be healthy at a variety of weights as long as we're eating food that nourishes us and makes us happy, and fit exercise into our day. Every day.

Start small, breathe deeply, and take your first step.

best,

Janet