SURVIVAL WHEN SKINT

Options
Hiya I am doing a project that involves tip on how to survive the recession...what I need are tips for cheaper ways to shop and cook, and run a home....any money saving ideas, community based ideas for example:- sharing the school run between parents and making stock/soup out of your chicken carcass, stuff like that...any ideas at all..cheers

Replies

• sezi62
    sezi62 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hiya I didnt like the way a phrased the top one so here it is again....Its really hard time for most of us now...What do you do to tighten your belt? What tips have you got for surviving the recession? Like me I have started buying cheaper cuts of meat or just using a little meat and padding out with veggies...Friends who still have school age kids are sharing the school run and taking turns in running a little after school club so that none of them have to pay child-minders. So what have you had to do in these "Make do and mend" times :ohwell:
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    We have already cancelled our DirecTV, bought an antenna and a Roku box. We don't eat out nearly as much. I haven't had a beef tenderloin in I cannot remember when but I'm eating a lot of hamburger now. We turned off our phone land line since we each have a mobile phone. We do not get the good coffee anymore, but get Maxwell House or the store brand. I use many more store brands instead of brand names. I only go to the chiropractor every other month instead of every month. The list goes on and on. The last 4 years have not been good to us. I now (just me alone) make $30K less a year that I did 4 years ago. That hurts
  • sezi62
    Options
    Thanks for replying to my post ....I am sorry that things are hard for you at the moment...I must be honest although I am doing this for a reason and know alot of tricks myself, that is because I have had to change so much....some weeks we are literally on the bread line...Its become "heat or eat". Alot of it has had to do with a real run of bad luck. I have stayed positive mainly cos what else is there to do? Lets hope 2013 is lucky 13!!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Where I live community gardens are springing up, some even on city park land. People are raising more of their own produce, and also learning to do their own canning and preserving so it can last through the winter.

Sorry to hear it's been so tough for you both. I've noticed a big difference myself in the last four years, but it's just me so it's not so hard to make small adjustments. But I'm making about a third less money as well.

I sure never buy anything that's not on sale, though, or use any credit cards that don't give me point or cash back. I learned this from a friend - "if you want me to spend money in your store you have to give me something."
  • sezi62
    Options
    Here's one, go to the supermarket just before closing time, anything that is labelled to be sold by that day they will slash the price right down to about a quarter...I get alot of my meat that way and as long as you either cook it within 24 hours or freeze it straight away its fine....veg too and cheese, anything that isn't tinned or frozen basically...I have two really nice pizzas in the freezer that are £2 usually I got for 30p each...you cant go wrong can you..:bigsmile:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I've switched from 21 to 18 year old single malt.

I clean the pool myself now instead of hiring a pool service.
  • sezi62
    Options
    I mite use that..thanks mate
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Things may be different across the pond, but here in the states grocery stores are mostly layed out the same. I stay to the outside of the store for milk, cheese, meat, eggs, and vegetables. Canned and frozen vegetables aren't that bad. Meat and produce that are about to expire are on the cheap. I cook it right away and then freeze it. I pay a lot more attention to nutrition. As far as bang for my buck goes, I can't afford to buy junk food, even if it is cheaper. I also keep the house at about 60F and where sleeved shirts and hats inside. I buy a lot of my clothes at 2nd hand stores, and repair them when they get torn. It comes down to a lot of small and simple things that add up throughout the weeks.
  • sezi62
    Options
    Thanks yeah just before the stores shut here they slash the prices on meat and veg on things that are on their due date
  • chicco57
    chicco57 Posts: 298
    Options
    if shopping online use sites like topcashback or quidco , I also check for discount codes 10% or free delivery codes for the site I want to buy from, aslo check using pricerunner see if it throws up any other sites which might be cheeper, use nectar points which I can save up and use on amazon. also the groupon deals, it is in deals etc, I also use hotukdeal which often people add deals to and can get freebies on I don't know how many times Ive seen films for free before they come out on the cinema. I guess there are loads of ways out there if you look there will be loads I'm unaware of also. Good Luck!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Grow a garden seeds are cheap! And if you can find a big "barrel" or anything somewhat large that will hold water, then you can even water your garden for almost free (if your garden is huge then you may have to use your house watering system). The money you save on veggies (and fruit...depending on what you can grow in your location) could be used towards some more meat or whatever.

I'm planning an enormous garden for next spring, and we raise our own poultry and beef. We also get eggs from the chickens. Yes it costs to feed the animals, but not near as much as it would cost to buy it all. I'm also trying to convince the hubby to let me get a pig or two so we won't have to buy pork.

Also, invest in a small sewing kit. You don't have to be great at it to fix most holes in pants or shirts (I find the holes are usually in the armpits, or crotch area....those are places where no one sees anyway....or at least they shouldn't be looking there ;) lol).

Learn a hobby that doesn't cost much and might even provide something useful. That way you can still enjoy doing something without breaking the bank. I can knit....not well....but good enough that I can make small things like neck warmers and such for my kids. Kills time, is relaxing, and something useful is provided when I'm done.

And we hunt. Not year round (that would be illegal here) but during hunting season, we hunt. Wild meat is sooo much better for you than any other kind!

Everything else aside, a garden can save you tons! I probably spend about $150-$200 on fruit/veggies a month, most of which I could grow myself. We have a short season where I live, but I should be able to can or freeze alot of what we can grow here. This spring I'll probably have to spend about $500 on my garden, but the majority of that should be a one time expense (fruit trees). After that, I should be able to enjoy years of fresh fruit in summer/fall and canned/frozen fruit the rest of the year. Of course I'll have to plant my veggies every year, but for $50 you can plant a massive garden! So instead of spending $2400/year on fruit and veggies, I'll probably be down to about $20/month ($240/year...for the things I can't grow like bananas and oranges).
  • Ravepixie87
    Options
    Since coming to uni I live off £5 a week. Dont eat any meat products instead use dried beans for my protein and buy in bulk when I can. The supermarkets are terrible here, and we dont have a farmers market or anything like that close enough to visit. I pretty much live off lentil curry.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip is to know how much the things you buy normally cost. Its all too easy to see an "offer" and assume its good value. Similarly posher brands on offer can be better value. When you know your base prices you can make informed decisions.

I have started shopping in Aldi - much cheaper than the main supermarkets and actually a lot nicer for many things.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are swimming several thousands of dollars below the poverty line, even with our school aid. (We are both students and hold outside jobs.) Some of the ways we try and make money stretch: buy canned food instead of fresh food. It keeps for much longer and doesn't require repurchasing as quickly. Unplug appliances when we aren't using them. We can't afford to shop in bulk, so we make do with the absolute minimal purchases week by week. (Buying the 2 dollar, six rolls of cheap toilet paper instead of the 8 dollar, 24 rolls - etc). Cook everything that we possibly can as opposed to buying it pre-packaged. Treats come in the form of 1 dollar candy bars or mini-ice cream servings, not entire bags or cartons. Limiting our travel to save on gas. Using the smallest bowls possible when buying self-serve items at the school cafeteria. And giving the cats extra cuddles as a reward as opposed to buying expensive kitty treats.

I can't wait to not be a poor student. :/
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK, i thoroughly recommend this forum: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33 theres nothing these ladies don't know about stretching every penny and making it work for you.

I reiterate whats said about going to the supermarket a couple of hours before closing and getting the marked down stuff - i love doing that. Also if you eat meat, buy a whole chicken and slow cook it, get all the meet off and use it in curries, pies, casseroles - far more cost effective than buying breasts or thighs individually - then make stock from the carcass. Also with curries etc, you can increase the amount of veg and decrease the amount of meat needed.

Remember to turn lights off when rooms not in use, and also switch off appliances. I keep my microwave/cooker/dishwasher/bedroom TV etc switched off at the wall when not in use. I know its not a huge amount of money but all of those appliances add up, especially when its just powering the clock.

Try and meal plan and use things from your store cupboard, cutting down on waste. Try and plan some meat free meals each week. IF you can make time, make your own bread. 1.5kg bread flour is about 65p in lidl and you can get three loaves out of it.

Don't be afraid to shop around. Lidl has good quality food, and the choice is more limited than asda/sainsbugs etc, so you don't find all the snacks and others expensive luxuries creeping into the basket. Also, don't be afraid to drop a brand. The value ranges of the supermarkets are actually not bad quality, if you shop carefully. Try one thing at a time and if you don't like it, go up to the next level. some stuff if better than the brands (asda smart price cornflakes), some things can't be compromised on (tea bags).
  • RoxySherwood89
    RoxySherwood89 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Not really much of an answer but i would love to hear some more ideas. Me and my other half 'get by' but fell into the stupidity of using pay day loans when we were so broke :( im hoping to get out of that cycle this month and really work hard to make our wages last a full month.

Im my own worst enemy in some respects though!
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I almost always make a packed lunch for work, saves so much instead of buying something each day. (Also much healthier than crisps and chocolate) I buy own brand stuff, always the cheap asda smart price chicken (much less watery than tesco equivalent) and the smart price smoked bacon.Things like pork or lamb I buy less often. For things like almonds which I like to have as a snack, tesco now has an asian groceries section where large bags are cheaper than their own dried fruit and nut sections, the same in several small costcutters I live near. Other ways I save cash is by hardly ever going out (I took up fitness as a hobby instead :) ) I buy own brand hair dyes (superdrug is good) And get things like shower gel from savers (don't buy the hair dye from savers, the bottles have been on the shelf for a long time so the developer becomes less effective) Sometimes if you need a certain item - I wanted a sewing machine a few years ago, I asked on Freecycle, and got one for free.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My current project is using up what is in the freezer and larder before investing in replacements as I shop every two weeks.
    I have started to batch cook up soups as I am enjoying them at lunch, and will not be purchasing any mince, chicken, salmon (the main things I eat) until the supplies are OUT. There is plenty in the freezer at the moment, so there is no excuse for having huge amounts just sitting there until I actually need them.

A friend recommended I purchase some stay-fresh veggie bags which I am going to give a try this fortnight, as my veg usually goes bad towards the end of the second week.

I learned a valuable lesson this week - previously I'd use a half-kilo of mince with jars of sauce which would just stay in bulky tubs in the freezer for... well... ever! Realised the jars only call for 300g approx... so immediately cut down on portion size (now measured and added as recipes in here) and batch cooked two jars this week so now have 6 portions of mincey goodness.
    Same principle will apply to a hot-pot recipe I have - will make up a 250g of the mince, freeze half and use a Remoska to cook up the other half for sunday dinner and leftovers (and the Remoska is meant to be way more energy efficient).
    All of these now go in these flat pack bags that take much less space in the freezer too...

I think it will take some training to not just buy jars this weekend - but I lost count of how many times they run out before I bother to use them... and I figure now I have enough range of stuff in the freezer, and enough veg to complement them that I can use stuff up and then just replace as and when.

I put aside a set amount each month linked to a supermarket card I use. My challenge for the rest of the year is to NOT resort to the credit card and cut out those mammoth shops I used to do, down to poor planning.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I chopped in my v6 3000cc petrol coupe for a 1500cc diesel hatchback.
    I eat out less frequently, especially for work lunches.
    I don't buy so many gadgets any more.
    I buy about 1 or 2 Xbox games a year now, used to be much more.
    Cancelled the love film subscription.
    Don't have subscription tv, just free to air channels.

Food wise, little has changed. I probably use the slow cooker a bit more than I ever did.