For those who low carb...

Options
I've been wanting to try a low carb diet for awhile now. I'm wondering how many carbs are you allowed to have and have you had any success with it? What types of food do you eat?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Its one of those things that you have to try and see what works for you. Atkins type diets are very low carb, and start at 20-50g carbs per day.

I try to get around 100g per day.

Breakfast - avoid cereals and toast. Go for eggs, yoghurt, cottage cheese, smoked fish. Oatmeal now and then.
    Lunch - avoid sandwiches and wraps. Go for soups and salads.
    Dinner - reduce the portion size of potatoes, rice, pasta, and have extra veg. Or just protein (meat, fish, cheese) with veg or salad.
    Snacks - avoid cakes and biscuits. Go for strip cheese, sliced meat, nuts
  • loozit4good
    loozit4good Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a healthy lo carb diet today too. I'm trying to keep my carbs around 45-65. I know my sister only tries to have 20 per day. To me that is just too difficult. I think it also depends on how much exercise you get and how you metabolize food. I would never go over 70 carbs unless you weight train along with cardio. I believe in a balanced approach, more veggies, perhaps one fruit, and I stick with good fats only. Hope that helps.
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i try and not eat too many carbs and its working for me. when i do eat carbs i have changed ti brown bread, brown rice, wholemeal cous cous, wholemeal pasta etc. i know cakorie wisr not much difference but has more nutitional value and fibre. i also think the ehite stuff totally bland now too. i basically use more veg on pkate and small amount of mash etc. i also usecrispbreads alot for lunch ibstead of sanwiches etc
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Its one of those things that you have to try and see what works for you. Atkins type diets are very low carb, and start at 20-50g carbs per day.

This. It's really trial and error to see what level works best for you. If you want to try Atkins, it certainly works, but it's a little drastic. It was my diet of choice for years, but I had a hard time sticking to it long term. When I'm trying to lose, I try to stay below 100 g per day and avoid as many processed carbs as I can (bread and pasta particularly). I'm currently in maintenance and allow myself 200 g per day, but I do better when I have fewer than that.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I typically eat 50-150g per day. Usually between 50-100g during the week and then the weekend is usually more like 100-150g.

Just curious, why are you low carbing?
  • Heavensblessings
    Heavensblessings Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I typically eat 50-150g per day. Usually between 50-100g during the week and then the weekend is usually more like 100-150g.

Just curious, why are you low carbing?

Two reasons: my aunt is really overweight and is trying to lose weight and I told her I would try this with her since I've been struggling to lose my last 10lbs and thought maybe this would help. And also just to see if I can do it. :)

When my aunt was pregnant she had gestational diabetes pretty bad and her dr had her on a low carb diet. She was allowed 30grams for each meal and 2 15gram snacks a day. Do you think this is too many carbs?
  • terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    carbs should make up 20% of your total calories, or <= 60g
    I did low carb but it only lasted 3 days. I can't live without at least 100g of carbs.

and I read it's a long-time commitment, if you start breaking the 20% rules, you will gain weight more rapidly then when you lose it.
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hiya this is from a previous comment i posted

"Low carbing is great cause it decreases your cravings, and blocks your hunger. It is hardlly any trouble keeping under your calorie goals. Energy is generally not a problem during the day. Weight training is not necesarily easy, but at least your protein intake is great so the hard work in the gym is supported by adequate protein intake. To train an esspresso and some awesome music will pump you up as required (try "two steps from hell" epic music and you'll be ready to slay giants)

As to the eating rewards i feel that cream fat and cheese outweigh pasta and breat. Also carbquick and such allow for waffle and pancakes, muffins and such so there is no problem in that area. Sugar free Whipped cream, lo carb cheesecake, lo carb brownies... Awesome greens like brocolli and cheese, or asparragus and cheese rock, and i used to hate veggies. If you have some imagination you will not feel deprived.
    My skin cleared up in a jiffy and my cholesterol and trigliceride numbers cleared up as well (they were not horribly high to begin with but they are now smack in the middle of the target range)

So this is why I like low carbing... ooops forgot to mention Ive lost 21 lbs in 8 weeks when I was unable to loose on a low fat diet where i could not stop thinking about food.

Low carbing may not be for everyone, but I'm quite sure its good for me, if you decide it is good for you too feel free to add me.

Im currently at 40 grams per day loosing a pound every 3-4 days (male @ 214 lbs so this might make a difference) I start to get cravings and feel hunger at 80-100 grams per day and my CLL (carb level for loosing) is around 80 grams. You will have to figure all these numbers on
    your own, however they will allow you to cutomize your eating and diet habits to suit yourself, which in the end is exactly what you deserve.
  • 6ladybugs
    6ladybugs Posts: 15 Member
    Options

As to the eating rewards i feel that cream fat and cheese outweigh pasta and breat. Also carbquick and such allow for waffle and pancakes, muffins and such so there is no problem in that area. Sugar free Whipped cream, lo carb cheesecake, lo carb brownies... Awesome greens like brocolli and cheese, or asparragus and cheese rock, and i used to hate veggies. If you have some imagination you will not feel deprived.

I've never used Carbquick, have you made waffles with it? How did they turn out? I recently made some coconut waffles and my family loved them. They ended up being 2.3 net carb and 8.4 of protein each which is pretty good.
  • betoarango
    Options

I've never used Carbquick, have you made waffles with it? How did they turn out? I recently made some coconut waffles and my family loved them. They ended up being 2.3 net carb and 8.4 of protein each which is pretty good.

Actually up to now mom and sis have made them for me since i didnt have a waffle iron, and they turned out great (I havent had bread or anything resembiing it in 6 weeks so maybe my standards aren`t as high) I bought my waffle baker this week so I will make some next week with a new recepie I found in the Carbquick forum. If it is any good I'll post it. The brownies are so-so, however they are still chocolatre colered.. (either that or I burned them) and they somewhat resemble brownies. The Bisquits are ok, if a bit heavy and on the small side. Look into the
    http://www.netrition.com/tova_carbquik_page.html#REVIEW_SECTION also it ir roughly half the price of Amazon... I figure the bad ratings were by non low carbers who compared it to the original, not the ones who see it as a way to reach their weight or WOL goals..
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight on low carb diets but I remember having lots of headaches and feeling kind of foggy. I also didn't find it to be sustainable. Everyone is different though. It never really made sense to me that you could have a ton of saturated fat and cholesterol but that an apple was forbidden. That's just my experience though.
  • Ravepixie87
    Options
    i low carb, but thats because if I eat too many carbs it makes me feel sluggish and quite unwell. I was always back and forward to the doctors and they couldnt find anything wrong with me, so I put myself on an elimination diet to see if it was something I was eating and found that refined carbs make me feel like hell. I switched to brown versions, but over the years have just cut them out all together. To me it just feels natural to me, but I know everyone is different.

As a science student I like to look up information and such about my diet, and found quite a number of studies suggesting low fat diets dont work, so I think limiting carbs, or at least the "bad" ones is the way to go for anyone wanting to lose weight, although your particular tolerance levels and such is an individual thing so you should just try it and see!
  • betoarango
    Options
    My experience is similar to Ravepixie's... I started eating healthy apples and avoiding saturated fats and cholesterol... but i couldnt control my cravings, and couldn't stay awake, was always hungry and moody... after several tries I found a WOL that fit me, also for the first time I aced my blood tests , and my fatty liver has done a full 180... in a very short time.
    Like I said, it`s not for everyone, but for some people it is the best we got...
    ...also we can eat green apples.. . had half of one the day before yesterday ;^)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try a low carb diet for awhile now. I'm wondering how many carbs are you allowed to have and have you had any success with it? What types of food do you eat?

I've been lowER carb since the first week in May. I aim for 100-150g per day (about 100g net).

My sample menu looks something like this:

breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled in butter, 3 slices of soy 'bacon', then either a greek yogurt or 1/2 c cottage cheese ...total under 400 calories under 15 carbs

lunch: low carb/high fiber tortilla with 2-4 oz sliced turkey, 1 string cheese, 1/2 sliced avocado. 400-500 calories, under 30 carbs.

dinner: whatever I make the family for dinner, portions to fit my macros.

I make room for some candy, desserts, fast food (if I get a burger, I take off the top part of the bun. That alone saves 10-15g of carbs)
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I like to keep my carbs between 50-100 grams. I average around 80g. I have basically eliminated all grains/legumes/sugar from my diet. I do not limit myself on vegetable carbs or fruit carbs. I basically eat a Primal Diet, and it works for me. When I want something sweet, I will use Stevia or a small bit of honey, or fresh fruit.
  • moorishy
    Options
    My Dr put me on a 1100 calorie a day diet with these instructions, no veg that grows underground, carrots, sweet potato, potato beetroot etc. no bread, no pasta, no rice, no crackers , no chips. Also no tropical fruits as high in sugar that converts to carbs. So no melon, pineapple, no mangoes, no bananas. Also advised not to eat any veggies that is orange or yellow. He also advised that any food that is called a super food not to eat. Also can not So goodbye almonds, nuts, seeds etc. it seems very limited in what I can eat. On Monday I will be one week in. The first 3 days were rough. On the third day I had sweats and mood swings. By Friday it got better. So far I have lost 6.2 pounds. I haven't weighed myself since Friday. The dr wants me to lose 40 pounds in 4 weeks. I doubt if it will happen but I will keep to the plan for a month until I see the dr.

Good luck on your low carb diet. I am not sure if my dr's very low carb diet is a good idea. A tip for the cravings. Drink lots of green tea. It has no calories and it dampens the cravings.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My experience is similar to Ravepixie's... I started eating healthy apples and avoiding saturated fats and cholesterol... but i couldnt control my cravings, and couldn't stay awake, was always hungry and moody... after several tries I found a WOL that fit me, also for the first time I aced my blood tests , and my fatty liver has done a full 180... in a very short time.
    Like I said, it`s not for everyone, but for some people it is the best we got...
    ...also we can eat green apples.. . had half of one the day before yesterday ;^)

Haha I don't even particularly like apples so I don't know why I picked that example. I think people just need to pick what plan works for them in consultation with their doctor and everyone is different. That was just my personal experience- I remember having headaches and being cranky- and not necessarily in that order, unfortunately, for the people around me.
  • carinalewis
    Options
    im on day four of Atkins induction. I'm still learning! Kept making silly mistakes like drinking tea with milk! 20g a day of carbs max
    day one I was hungry for cake! Day four I don't even think about food! And im a compulsive eater!!!! Its working for me mentally although im not sure physically as I don't own scales! I'm gonna weigh myself after a week therefore not getting too hung up on whether I've lost weight in the first week or not x