is it bad to have 3 meals a day?

Options
I think the best thing for me to feel "normal" in my weight loss is to eat a small breakfast and lunch and then sit down to a proper dinner with my other half in the evening. Is this ok? I know some people eat 5 meals a day but I don't think that would be effective with me as I would have to eat really small portions. Also I only get half an hour's break during the day at work as I run my own business at the moment so I don't know how I would find time to eat 5 times lol

Replies

• cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't see any problem with it. It is up to you how you eat your calories, and if that is what works best for you, then that is what you do!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing for me to feel "normal" in my weight loss is to eat a small breakfast and lunch and then sit down to a proper dinner with my other half in the evening. Is this ok? I know some people eat 5 meals a day but I don't think that would be effective with me as I would have to eat really small portions. Also I only get half an hour's break during the day at work as I run my own business at the moment so I don't know how I would find time to eat 5 times lol

The number of meals you eat, when you eat them etc really doesn't matter. Find what is convenient for you and go with that, adherence is the most important aspect of any diet
  • healthymebetterme
    Options
    I can't do the 5-6 small meals a day, I prefer 3 then snacks. Just go with what works for you! :)
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Acg already gave you the best answer but just to back it up, it doesn't matter how many meals you eat. In fact, my weight loss accelerated when I started doing what was convenient (no breakfast, small lunch, large dinner). Just stay within your Kcal goal and try to hit your macros.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Why would that be a problem?
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge believe that everyone is different and everyone's bodies work differently. What works for person A might not necessarily work for person B. Some people like to eat consistently every two hours or so, others work better having 2 or 3 square meals a days. I fall into the latter category.

A typical day for me is breakfast around 8-9am (cereal, porridge, omelette, PB and banana on toast, etc), snack at 11-11.30am, lunch at 12.30 (soup with bread, pasta or sandwich with nuts and fruit) snack between 3-4pm, dinner + yoghurt between 6.30-8pm then snack at 9.30pm, depending. Snacks are usually fruit, banana breed, cheese on wholegrain crackers. Evening snack is usually a few sqaures of dark chocolate. This is my ideal and works for me. I'm rarely hungry. Obviously, not every day is like this but I just take it as it comes.

Listen to your body, what it wants and when. If I don't feel like eating at a certain time, I don't. If I'm really craving something, I'll eat it.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Why would that be a problem?

There is this myth going around frequently on sites like this that your weight loss is somehow magically enhanced by eating a variety of specific meal types at specific meal types while completely ignoring any sense of metabolic "science" or understanding.

There is an argument out there that people say you shouldnt have a large dinner and instead go on and on about how people should have a well balanced breakfast (you know the saying breakfast is the most important meal of the day not realizing that was an add campaign for eggs and other breakfast food suppliers)

I have seen success with people sitting down to one large 1800 calorie meal and losing weight and being fine all day... I have seen people eat nothing but 100-200 snacks all day long every two hours and lose weight... Its about preference, your body type and essentially the amount of calories in versus out, its not rocket science but its often confused to be.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    That's what I do. Three meals a day and a snack if my calories allow it. Do what works for you.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    3 meals...2 meals...7 meals....Just do what works best for you, stick within your calorie allowance and the weight will come off :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have three meals a day. To me, it's good because it fits my lifestyle/schedule. Do what's right for you, not what's right for others. Meal timing and how you spread out your calories is a matter of personal preference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The number of meals you eat, when you eat them etc really doesn't matter. Find what is convenient for you and go with that, adherence is the most important aspect of any diet

This!
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals with a snack after I work out. Hope that helps--it really depends on how hungry you get between meals. Listen to your body and then decide what is good for you. Good luck!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Current thinking seems to be that it doesn't make a massive difference - the biggest difference will be doing whatever works best for you!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals, dinner being large. Not always huge on cals but lots of green veggies to fill me up. I snack regularly too.. 83lbs down doesn't lie. Worked for me x
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

It does not matter when you eat. All that matters is the calories. You don't even have to eat the same amount every day, some days can be low and some higher. You can plan your calorie budget however you want.

When I first started I tried to eat 5 meals but it was too much. I evolved to 3 meals and sometimes a snack. It also does not matter how much time between meals. Once I learned the right amount of calories for me to consistently lose I realized I had enough to eat by 5pm or sometimes even 3pm so I stopped for the day. I suddenly realized I was fasting for 15-17 hours (I've never fasted in my life before!) when I did that and the first 40 lbs dropped very consistently that way. When I told a co-worker about it, that I found the secret for me was mini meals and mini fasts he told me to look up Eat Stop Eat and it was exciting for me because it explained why it worked, about the HGH production in the body, etc. Then for the last 17 lbs I implemented the Eat Stop Eat intermittent fasting and just a couple days a week I only ate lunch. I continued to eat "normal" meals for myself. I'm not an emotional eater and don't binge. I keep things in control. I plan my treats and don't deprive myself and even allow for a few impromptu treats with friends. I've found my happy medium and flexibility with eating by not worrying about eating when others think I should, or skipping meals when I don't feel like eating, or even skipping a meal because I want to enjoy a nice dinner out with friends.

Now in maintenance I've evolved to skipping breakfast most days because I like heading straight to the gym and working out fasted. Then I just eat my maintenance calories the rest of the day, sometimes up until bed time. I love the flexibility.

So, it does not matter when you eat or how you space out your meals. Do what works for you. For some people too many meals makes it too easy to eat too many calories and stay in budget. Some people like to skip a meal to make the rest of their meals into an "eating window". Some people like to have 5 lower calorie days and 2 high calorie days (usually the weekend). It's really cool when you realize you can set up your calorie budget how ever you want for your lifestyle.

Oh by the way I did have my doctor check my hormones throughout the process and they were good. I have them checked anyway because I'm older and have thyroid, adrenal, and other hormone issues, but all was fine from obese to 10% body fat. And the DXA scan proved that I did not lose lean body mass or go into starvation mode. Nothing like scientific evidence to prove a point for you against emotional arguments.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much what I do, and I find it works very well. I've got used to having three meals a day, so I don't normally feel too hungry between meals. (The danger point for me is last thing at night, so I have to be careful not to snack then. I think it's because I haven't eaten for a good few hours and am starting to gear up for another meal!).

I have a small breakfast, slightly bigger midday meal and then the biggest "cooked" meal in the evening. In fact, I started losing weight by just sticking to the three meals a day, without calorie counting (a version of what's called the "No S Diet"). It seems to suit me. The best thing is that it seems to work socially. I have a relatively small calorie goal too (being shortish and oldish) so five meals would be five really TINY meals. Three meals means that the final meal in particular seems more "normal".
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

In some European countries it's a big breakfast, a big lunch and a small dinner. In the U.S. this seems to not be the case and my humble opinion is that it is what leads to weight gain. Big dinner, sit in front of the TV and then bed.
  • tristahenry
    Options
    I can't do the 5-6 small meals a day, I prefer 3 then snacks. Just go with what works for you! :)

This... a snack is really only about 100-200 calories max, then I eat healthy lunch and dinner... even healthy desserts if I get to making one.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    as long as you stick with your cal. amount it should be all good. i have my 3 meals with a morning snack and if i have cals left and am hungry i'll have an evening snack.