Lifting Heavy

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ^^she does NOT need a woman's program. Women are no different than men when it comes to lifting except for the actual weight we can lift. Also, way to help with the long list of copy paste lifts that do not address her actual question/issue ----again.

ETA: just saw you actually customized this copy paste with your edit to add the last paragraph

ETA: now the penultimate paragraph as the now last paragraph (the usual copy paste) has been added.
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is a good beginner lifting program. This (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:Introduction) is the wiki, but there's also a book associated with it. With this program you do a total of 5 different lifts, lifting 3 days a week, alternating workouts every lift day.

As for cardio, the program suggests a very light 10 minute warm-up prior to lifting, such as moderate biking or fast walking. You can also do more intense cardio on your non-lifting days, but if you do so you should be aware that this will somewhat decrease the rate at which you increase the amount you can lift. I would definitely take it easy on the cardio for at least the first two weeks, because when you start lifting heavy, you are going to be hurting in places you didn't know could hurt.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This may be weird/non-standard advice, but in my opinion there's really nothing better than functional movements. Squats, deadlifts, cleans, jerks, presses, snatches, etc. Mix that with some quality body weight stuff- pullups, pushups, etc. and some high intensity cardio- box jumps, sprints, jumprope, etc. It's fun. You'll definitely have to pay someone to teach you those lifts though. Otherwise it's a ticket to snap city.

Happy lifting! :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like either starting strength or strong lifts...
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the awesome advice!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    After reading the threads here, heavy lifting piqued my interest. I decided to go with The New Rules of Lifting for Women. There is a great support group on here as well. I personally LOVE it -- it's totally different from anything I've done in the past. I've lost weight and inches and I'm not even halfway through the 6-month program. I've heard good things about Stronglifts too. Good luck!
  • IGotUrPistola
    Options
    Their are tons of websites that has guides. Just read it.