Is my scale an evil genius?

Options
So every time I weigh myself (about once a week/week and a half) I've lost at least a pound. Each time I think "What? As if" and that my scale must be broken even though it's new and uh....expensive. I just weighed myself and saw that I've hit the 10 pound mark which I was suuuuper looking forward to but of course all I thought was "this thing is broken!". Anyways, just wondering if anyone else tries to convince themselves for a moment that their scale is trying to trick them or if you just happily accept it right away and have a quick party of one each time.

And for the record, It's been about ten mins now since I've weighed and I've since accepted the good news.

Replies

• xSveltex
    xSveltex Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For awhile when I had a cheaper scale that took awhile to calibrate, if it looked as if it would head north I would hop off before it stopped and would complain about needing to get a new one.

Now that I have a new one its kind of hard to keep doing that. I do try to move it around to see if I weigh the same in different areas of the room. Whichever position has the lowest weight its the correct position.

Ha. The things we tell ourselves.
  • nailtechbec
    nailtechbec Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a tiled floor in my dressing room where I weigh myself and I always weigh myself 3 times on 3 different tiles just to make sure it's right !
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I usually have the opposite problem...when it's more than I expect I think it must be broken! But no, when the number goes down I just count my blessings!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'm down again on the scale, but I refuse to log it until next weekend. I've slowly learned not to be focused on the number, but I do honestly want to make sure that it isn't a fluke. XD
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I do.. I think "oh well I had a really long night sleep last night so I didn't drink anything or eat anything for a super long time so it must just be that" then the next time I step on it I'm super happy! haha!
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I actually do not own a scale! I use the medical scale at the gym. That one tells no lies and says it like it really is T-T.
    There is one at work that tells me I am ten lbs lighter than I really am....and another one that is pretty spot on to the medical one.
    So, I go by the medical scale, but the work ones I can use to track weight lost since last time I checked :)

On a side note, I was living my life as a happy 5'4".....until the medical scale told me I was 5'3.5"....T-T I thought I was short, but.....now I really am short!
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I always question bathroom scales so for the longest time I didn't have one because we have a calibrated drum scale at work. Which honestly is lucky for me. However when both my husband and I decided it was time to lose weight we figured it was time to get a scale since he wasn't as lucky as me. So when we got the scale, and still occasionally, I will step on my bathroom scale before I run off to work and then on the drum scale as soon as i get to work. Or the reverse at the end of the day. What I have found is my scale is usually between 0.2lbs more and 1lb less than the drum scale.

I feel this is close enough that I trust my scale from day to day. Because of this I have changed to using my bathroom scale as my official weight for three reasons, 1) Not wearing heavy work close such as sweater and jeans, 2) can weigh in before breakfast, and 3) I usually weigh less on the weekend.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have a really cheap bathroom scale ($7 at Target- yes, I said cheap!) but it is very consistent, and I weigh the same at home as I do at the Doctor's office- first time in my life that's been true!

But a couple of times, when I was feeling heavy, I have been surprised by the low number, and hoped off and on a couple times to see if it was right.

Then I realized it was giving me the same number each time, so yes, I really have lost a pound or two.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    No. Lex Luthor is an evil genius. Magneto is an evil genius. Your scale is just telling you how much you weigh at a particular point in time.
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Scales are evil, and there is no genius involved! Mine records fairly accurately, but only in half pound increments. Maybe that's a good thing since it keeps me from sweating the small variations.

As for recording what my scale says, I only record the losses, and then I only record them if I hit them two days in a row. And I'm seriously considering not recording even my losses. It seems every time I lose a pound and record it, the next day I'm up a pound and it takes too long to get it back off!

It's like being near your car and mentioning you have a bit of spare money. That's the surest way I know to have something go wrong with you car! Same thing is to record a weight loss and insure an increase the next day.

JINX
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No. Lex Luthor is an evil genius. Magneto is an evil genius. Your scale is just telling you how much you weigh at a particular point in time.

^^^^^^