Brown Rice- How to make it tasty?

Options

Replies

• Carol_123
    Carol_123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I hated brown rice but somewhere I had read that short grain brown rice was tastier so I bought some and love it. I had tried the brown long grain and brown basmati and threw it out. The short grain brown is so much better.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Add beans. I love it with red beans, kidney beans or a mix of any of those. It's also a very nutritios combination of carbs + proteins.
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice, but that's because I always mix it in with something. My favorite thing to do is sauté a huge blend of vegetables, add them to a tomato and roasted red pepper soup then pour that over a bowl of rice. Great for the winter, super filling, and healthy!

And I also love to sauté red peppers and onions, add a can or corn and a can of black beans, 1/4 cup of salsa and some spices. Pour that over brown rice = mmmm!! Super cheap and quick.
  • KathyofCA
    KathyofCA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I add kidney beans and salsa to brown rice to make a meal of it.
  • myjavajane
    Options
    I mix my rice. Try putting black & jasmine rice with it. Black rice has a nutty flavor.
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    mix it with grilled chicken and low sodium hearty healthy chicken mushroom soup.. paprika and some garlic.... bake... soooo yummy
  • TinkerbelleJ
    TinkerbelleJ Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just generally just LOVE brown rice, I find it much tastier than white rice.

I would just look up rice recipes and then just use brown rice instead of white rice.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    How to make brown rice tasty? Replace it with white rice. You get more nutrients from a sprig of broccoli than the hull of a rice grain, and if you're eating brown rice for the dietary fiber you're only getting a small amount of fiber for a whole lot of awful taste to overcome.

Seriously.

^^THIS!!! Brown rice tastes nasty!
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions on here- thanks for asking the question! I toast chickpeas in a teaspoon of sesame oil, add it to the rice, and snip in some scallions.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    How to make brown rice tasty? Replace it with white rice. You get more nutrients from a sprig of broccoli than the hull of a rice grain, and if you're eating brown rice for the dietary fiber you're only getting a small amount of fiber for a whole lot of awful taste to overcome.

Seriously.

^^^^ This. Exactly this. Not that serious people. Its just rice.
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i like brown rice way better then white rice. i add a little bit more water then the directions say with a dash of salt. when done just add some butter.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    drown it in cheese.
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I like the flavor of brown rice. It's one of the staples I keep in my house all the time. Just like any other carb, you have to limit your portions. On occasion, I sprinkle a little Mrs. Dash Original Blend on it.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I mix Parmesan cheese and a little malt vinegar in mine....mmmm one of my favorites.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    "Rub bacon on it."

LOL!
  • ElloSweetie
    ElloSweetie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    lemon juice. Yum
  • MichaelYoung1976
    Options
    top it with stir fried veggies? :) what i love to do is in a bowl, scramble 1 egg with 1 tbsp soy sauce, pour it into a pan and cook it then put it on top my rice. it is soo good!

other things that i think taste good with rice are
    - soy sauce
    - rice seasonings (check your local asian market)
    - butter
    - pepper & salt
    - curry

pretty much anything really! :D what type of food do you like?

^^^This

I make stir fry with chicken, steak and/or shrimp. So good!
  • ElloSweetie
    ElloSweetie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "Rub bacon on it."

LOL!
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Best and easiest brown rice recipe EVER. My kids love it. On Mexican night, add some fresh cilantro for something different:

http://www.food.com/recipe/alton-browns-baked-brown-rice-177017
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    now I've gotta see what this jasmine and basmati is. I HATE brown rice. Its always hard.