Dealing with comments from other people

Options
I am 5' 7.5", and I began my weight loss journey on August 4th, I clocked in at 203lbs and 43.8% body fat, and as on November 12th, through both diet and exercise, I am 171lbs and 32.5% body fat. So even though I have lost 32lbs and 11.3% body fat so far, I am still in the overweight category for my height and age. I am happier with my body, but still want to loose more, as I still not happy.

The problem I am having is I am getting the classic comments of "I don't think you should lose any more weight, you'll disappear soon", and I even had a comment of one of my co-workers of "The other girls and I have been talking, and we think your starting to look gaunt, so I think you should stop losing weight", that comment took me back and made me doubt myself, but after asking my mother, my boyfriend and my best-friend about it, they assured me that I was looking fab.

I just don't know how to deal with the don't lose any more weight comments, yes there has been a change, I have lost 2 dress sizes, but I'm still classed as overweight, and 10 years ago I was about 140lbs and 2 dress sizes smaller again than I am now. I don't want to be super skinny, I am exercising in order to tone my body, and gain a bit of muscle mass too. I just want to be happy and healthy. Do I ignore the comments, back up why I need/want to loose more, or politely tell them to back off? Please help!!!

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion--Who cares what other people think? If you know you're not where you want YOUR body to be, then fix it! It's your life, you deserve to be happy and you need to do what makes YOU sleep well at night. Give it your all and get to a place where you're completely proud of yourself :flowerforyou:

Congrats on your progress btw, that's amazing!! Keep up the good work!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us are so used to looking at overweight people that they forget how fit people are supposed to look. Don't pander to their ignorance.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    First off, let me congratulate you on your weight loss so far! That's great progress!

Secondly, I would like to point out that you cannot add muscle and lose weight at the same time. It's not possible.

As for your question, if YOU are not happy with yourself and the way you look, then keep going. It doesn't matter what they think, it matters how you feel. You're the one that has to live with your body for the rest of your life. They'll adjust.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us are so used to looking at overweight people that they forget how fit people are supposed to look. Don't pander to their ignorance.
    Yes for sure! And this really varies depending on where you live (some places just have "fatter" people per capita).
  • mystarwillshine
    mystarwillshine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight and exercising, being healthy about it and not starving yourself, then others have no right to tell you what you should do. Continue doing what you need to do to get to goal, and be proud of what you've accomplished so far. Sometimes, other people are more jealous than helpful. :)
  • amazing_shrinking_woman
    Options
    People tell me I'm "getting too thin" or "going to blow away". I look them in the eyes and say with a straight face "that's the point". Now it's their turn to figure out what to say. I figure my weight, my body, my business - i don't need commentary.

Note: I only do this when the people are being serious. If they are kidding, i laugh right along with them.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Personally, I had this happen and I have been wondering "why". In my opinion, I think it has to do with change.
    Whenever we try to change something about ourselves we are often hit with resistance from family and friends.

I think some times it is good to say something when a person makes a negative comment about your weight loss
    and change in activity level. Other times, it is best to ignore their comments. I think it depends upon the person and if
    your comments will be heard.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I get this too, which is just laughable because my BMI is still nearly midway between healthy and obese. I take it like I take any other unwanted advice (like on how to raise my kids), in one ear and out the other.

You are doing AMAZING!
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight and exercising, being healthy about it and not starving yourself, then others have no right to tell you what you should do. Continue doing what you need to do to get to goal, and be proud of what you've accomplished so far. Sometimes, other people are more jealous than helpful. :)

Well said.
  • djl1977
    Options
    This as well has been happening to me, "you're so skinny now", "are you sick ? do you have cancer", "you don't need to lose anymore" I could go on, I take it all in as compliments that people can see how much I've changed and then I smile and say yeah I'm happy thanks :)
  • terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    some people can't stand a change in appearance of someone they know, maybe because you look different. some are just envious. but generally, I don't think people really mean what they say. some people also make a small comment just for the sake of commenting. unless majority of people disagree with the way you look and they really insist you to eat more, then you should consider it. but seeing your numbers, you're obviously on the right track. just ignore them or tell them that you're not intending to be skinny and that they shouldn't worry about you.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    As long as u make yourself happy, the healthy way, then keep going. Don't stop just to make someone happy.. Just like no one should lose weight to make someone happy. It works both ways. Do it for u
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    sabotage comes in many different guises... just agree with em that you've stopped trying to be healthier, then do what you wanna do..you cant force ppl to be supportive, BUT and HOWEVER, you dont have to listen to their advice either!! good luck on your journey!
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    A very simple "Hey, thanks for your input." and leave it at that. You know the old sayings about opinions and a**holes. Everyone's got one. Do what you know is best for you and don't waste time worrying about what other people say about you.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your weight loss!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Secondly, don't let people get you down or make you doubt, because once that happens, then you begin to question everything and that just makes you end up going crazy. Truly and honestly, do it for yourself and say to them "well thank you for your input." and walk away. If they wish to keep babbling, then that is their choice and waste of their own breath.

Just my own two cents.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Go to the park.

Find a duck.

Take it home.

Put it on the kitchen floor.

Fill a glass with water.

Pour it on the duck.

Watch what the duck does.

Be a duck.
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    A very simple "Hey, thanks for your input." and leave it at that. You know the old sayings about opinions and a**holes. Everyone's got one. Do what you know is best for you and don't waste time worrying about what other people say about you.

I second this advice! You're doing this for you. The important people who love you (you, your bf, your parents) all think you're looking great, so you keep on pressing to the goal that you want to reach. We're cheering for you!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing really great on your way to a healthy lifestyle!

Honestly, when I was trying to lose weight that I'd recently gained, I just told people I wasn't trying to lose any more weight. It got them off my back, and they didn't notice when I lost it because they weren't paying attention to it anymore.
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh the things people say to us. And what do you say in return. Age old question. First, congrats on the weight loss. I was 306 at my highest. So I have heard it all. Do you really need to eat that? Why are you eating a candy and drinking DIET soda? You know they don't cancel each other out.

Now, 92 pounds lighter, I have heard just how much more weight are you going to loss. Don't you think you lost enough. WHAT?? I am 214. Yes I have to loss more.

Then of course add in the fact I had gastric bypass and have been told that's cheating. That's taking the easy way out. WHAT?? How do you call surgery the easy way out. I have to watch just how much I eat at a time or I get sick. I can't have anything with more than 10 g's of sugar or I will be sick...instantly.

So when someone tells me something negative, I simply thank the person for their opinion and move on. If I am on the phone, I suddenly have another incoming call. If I am at the bowling alley, I go look at the scoring, or bowl, or anything to get away from the nay-sayer.

We have to be comfortable in our own skin. So thank that person for their opinion and take it with a grain of salt.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight an build muscle btw.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/353310-how-to-lose-weight-gain-muscle-mass-at-the-same-time/
    I use this site all the time and a couple of others.

Anyway, just let their comments roll of your back. Since you're transforming yourself you are probably making them uncomfortable. Keep doing what you're doing!
    Congrats!