How can I motivate myself to go to the gym?

Options

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Exercise does not HAVE to be done in a gym. If it is the gym that is the problem then buy an exercise video, invite your friend over and y'all exercise in your room.

If you decide the gym is your best option to prepare for track then thick of me when you don't want to go. I would LOVE to go to the gym but I can't afford it. We have an awesome gym that I have taken my son to for baseball lessons (the owner is an MLB player). Or you could give me your membership!! Please!!
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I hate to exercise. I truly do.

I also hate to do the dishes - I still do them
    I also hate to get out of a warm cozy bed to go to work - I still do it
    I also hate to pay my bills - I still pay them
    I also hate clean the toilet - it's clean
    I hate to exercise - I just do it
    Sometimes you do things because you have to, because they are GOOD for you.

Make a game of it. Right now I am currently doing 5 squats and 1 push-up for every comment on a post on my MFP wall.
    I also ride my stationary bike and am tracking on Google maps where those miles would take me "in real life".
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    At first you just suck it up and do it because you know its good for you. At least I did. Eventually I really started to enjoy it. Now, I watch what other people do and when I see someone do something that looks like it would be a challenge for me, I tell myself that I want to keep coming until I can do what that other person did. Just keep chasing goals and setting new ones. The achievements and the progress I've made are what make it fun!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    my motivation is seeing a few of the ladies who are there at my same daily time in their workout clothes... hey i am a guy it doesnt take much to motivate us :laugh:
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    This has helped me in all aspects of my eating and working out but I am taking a Burlesque class and at the end of each 6 week class there is a performance! The thought of being on stage half naked is very motivating!! I lost like 13 or so pounds the first 6 week class I took and am hoping to get as low as possible for my next performance!
    I also make myself go immediately when I wake up or right after work/barn. No sitting down or relaxing first, get it done and out of the way. Music/TV helps.
  • Wilhelmina07
    Options
    I can understand what you mean by needing motivation, the gym can be intimidating. Why don't you try exercising at like a Fit2Live or Title Boxing Club?? It's untraditional but it's so much fun, you don't even fell like you're working out! Plus it's effective. I just started but I made a commitment to go at least three times a week. It's a bit of a financial commitment but that just adds to the motivation. Bottom line losing weight is about becoming more active, exercise should be rewarding. Whichever route you choose make that commitment 100%.... your future self will thank you.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My biggest motivation is thinking about the feeling afterwards. To get up and get myself going is awful. But think of it this way...will you ever regret GOING? NO. not ONce. ever. but you will (and do) regret NOT going.

That being said. The gym sucks. the machines scare me and I don't know what I'm doing. So I'm doing Insanity from beach body at home. Maybe one day. But until then, Insanity is working wonders.
  • stingraycat
    Options
    This doesn't make it more fun, but when I feel motivation dragging, I make a deal with myself. If I don't go to the gym, I donate $50 to an organization I despise. You could even write the check and put it in an envelope and give it to a friend to send if you don't uphold your end of the bargain.

NOM has yet to get my $50 ;)

Wow, this is a great idea!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i get some really good pump up music going...only way....I like going by myself , I get in my own zone and think about stuff, good music is key though...and treat myself to some new gym clothes once in a while :happy: I just love how I feel after I am done
  • mutleycakes
    mutleycakes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    well i find music helps and the fact that you will be sculpting your body and getting fitter.
    I am an older person i go on my own but i have found a few people to say hi to and have a little chat.
    If you really dont like the gym then try some of the classes like zumba bokwa or just the aerobic ones.
    When i am walking to the gym i think oh no another session but once i am changed and have got my first machine over with i dont want to leave.
    Just make a little time for yourself and go and remember oldies are humans too lol
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Find a gym or studio with classes that you want to try. Set your alarm early enough to go before work- and don't make it a choice, just get yourself there. Once you get to the class it's too embarassing to leave usually. And then it is over bright and early and you don't have all day to come up with excuses or lose motivation. Works for me every time!

Bonus: you get to feel smug all day because you went to the gym before most people even eat breakfast. And before you know it, it will become a habit you can't live without.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    look in the mirror naked!.. In other words, just get off your butt and go.
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is find some sort of exercise that you like doing! If exercise is fun you definitely won't mind. I took up pole dancing and it's an awesome workout AND the highlight of my week now :) Try some different workout classes or look into something you've maybe always wanted to try but never gotten around to it. If you aren't enjoying it, you won't be likely to stick with it. Good luck!
  • JazyVale
    Options
    Hey. I am one of the old people at the gym.

haha, i don't mean that in a bad way. there's just not a lot of people my age at my gym, so i always feel out of place.

*** What truly motivate me when i go to gym is the old ppl with all my respect. THEY HAVE MORE ENERGY THEM ME THAT I HAVE 32 YEARS MAKE ME SMILE WHEN I SEE THEM!!! i push my self harder cuz they are doing it better then me hahaha i LOVE IT!! I SWEAT CRAZY THEN I SAY WOW THANKS TO THEM i push my self. thats one motivation there knowing that ppl that are "old" have the energy to do what teenS dont want to do beacuse millions of excuses.
    second motivation "LOKING THE MIRROR WITH SOME SKINNY JEANS HAHAHA
    3 MOTIVATION JUST BUY MY HRM POLAR FT4 WORKS WONDERFUL AND MAKE ME BURN LIKE CRAZY!! JUST TO SE THE NUMBERS GOING HIGHER EVERY TIME I AM DOING A WORKOUT DVD SPINNING CLASS AND WALK AND JOG OUTSIDE 4TH MOTIVATION I AM GETTING CRAZY BUYING BRIGHT COLOR RUNNING SHOES GOT THEM IN YELLOW BABY BLUE WITH BRIGHT GREEN LASER AND TODAY I GET A ORANGE ONE SO PRETTY CANT WAIT TO GO OUT AND BRIGHT THE WORLD HAHAHA THE END GIRL FIND YOUR MOTIVATION CUZ NO ONE IS GONNA DO IT FOR YA. :)
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between having an interest and commitment. When you were interested you signed up for membership however if you were committed and becoming healthy you accept no excuses, only results! When I started my gym I had the struggles of getting out of the house as I suffer from panic attacks. In the end I stuck up a picture of my start weight at 323lbs in every place in the house with this quote underneath 'You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great' and it motivated me to give it a go. I am the biggest person at the gym as its a small one near me and believe me I did get some 'looks' when I went in but then a few weeks later I actually had people coming over to me, encouraging and admiring me for wanting to make a change. It took me another few months before I went over to the weights section as again I thought I was going to be laughed at but one guy stopped what he was doing and took a general interest in helping me to achieve what I wanted. Believe me I hate to exercise and will use any excuse in the book not to go but I know if I don't I will be in this nightmare for the rest of my life. If you don't want to go to the gym there are other ways and means of getting exercise. Whatever you decide to do it will take determination, willpower, sacrifice and you will have to push your body to the max, no doubt some days you will hurt like hell but when you reach your goals it will be worth it. Good luck
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym that is 1 block from my building because I know i won't go if i have to travel.
    I signed up for a six month weight training program with a trainer whom I see once a month so I have to report in.
    I go to a Zumba class at the gym that I love.

Find things that will motivate you and find exercises that you like doing. Ignore all those people that are old or young or middle-aged - focus on yourself.
  • shinelikethesun
    Options
    You know what motivates me to go to the gym? Looking in the mirror. Truly.

LOL HA! I KNOW THAT'S RIGHT! THAT WAS THE TRUTH RIGHT THERE! LOL

Seriously, if you want to get motivated you just have to look at yourself in the mirror and say,"This is NOT me." You're gonna have to force yourself to go. If you force yourself to go and like one lady said get a really great playlist, you'll find it's not that bad and you'll feel a lot better afterwards.

Ain't nothin to it but to do it! =)
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between having an interest and commitment. When you were interested you signed up for membership however if you were committed and becoming healthy you accept no excuses, only results! When I started my gym I had the struggles of getting out of the house as I suffer from panic attacks. In the end I stuck up a picture of my start weight at 323lbs in every place in the house with this quote underneath 'You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great' and it motivated me to give it a go. I am the biggest person at the gym as its a small one near me and believe me I did get some 'looks' when I went in but then a few weeks later I actually had people coming over to me, encouraging and admiring me for wanting to make a change. It took me another few months before I went over to the weights section as again I thought I was going to be laughed at but one guy stopped what he was doing and took a general interest in helping me to achieve what I wanted. Believe me I hate to exercise and will use any excuse in the book not to go but I know if I don't I will be in this nightmare for the rest of my life. If you don't want to go to the gym there are other ways and means of getting exercise. Whatever you decide to do it will take determination, willpower, sacrifice and you will have to push your body to the max, no doubt some days you will hurt like hell but when you reach your goals it will be worth it. Good luck

Great post- and the part about pushing yourself is spot on. Improvement happens when you're out of your comfort zone.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I find the gym boring. I'm there mostly for cardio. I will take my iPad 2 tethered to my One X 4g lte phone, connect my plantronics Voyager Pro HD headset to my iPad 2, and watch my favorite shows while I run, or do elliptical.
  • belben22
    Options
    You've just got to know that once you're done you will feel better...Put your shoes on and go even on the days you don't feel like it. If you go 5 days a week consistently for 2-3 weeks you will find it becomes a habit and you just naturally want to go...Gymming it is so much fun..