Peanut Butter?

Options
Super Random Question BUT:
If I'm trying to lose weight should I keep peanut butter in my diet or x it?
Such a good source of protein and so delicious but really fattening!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you like it and can stay within your calorie limits for the day while still eating it, absolutely no reason to ditch it. If it creates issues with adherence (i.e., you eat half a jar every time you pick it up), probably best to leave it out. I haven't excluded ANY foods from my diet - I just eat a lot less of some of them than I used to.
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter on toast most days for breakfast. Measure it and count it. Simple. I just love peanut butter :love:
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    peanut butter has mainly good fats though!:D so yes you should have it in your diet! you don't want to deprive yourself, trust me, that usually leads to binging! just measure the amount you use and don't go overboard!
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have portion control issues with full containers of peanut butter, but pb2 is a good enough alternative for me!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've kept it in. I think you just have to be aware that it's a very concentrated, high-calorie, high-fat food and be very careful about how much you have! Personally - I could just be imagining it - but it feels a fairly "satisfying" food: a little bit really makes me feel like I've had something, and it staves off hunger well.
  • dj8052
    dj8052 Posts: 15
    Options
    Peanut butter will not make you fat, overeating your basic required calories will. Buy the natural peanut butter or the one called smart pb. It is a great pre and post workout snack along with some carbs or fruit like banana and oatmeal. Throw it on 1 piece of wheat bread, wheat crackers, bake it in no-bake cookies, or mix it in your workout shake, can't go wrong. I have 2 tbsp a day and haven't gained any fat haha.
  • keIsie
    Options
    I think it's definitely worth keeping in your diet--as long as you stick to the serving size, you'll be fine! And once you get used to the two tablespoons (I believe that's a typical PB serving size), it'll seem like plenty. I recommend the Peter Pan Whipped Creamy peanut butter, personally. It's lower in calories than many other big brand low-fat peanut butters, as well as lower in sugar. However, I find it still has a great taste!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I eat it straight outta the jar. A girl has to have some fun in life!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have portion control issues with full containers of peanut butter,

I used to finish a jar within ( lets exegerate a day ( more like a couple of hours)) but having learnt portion control I have the same jar for several weeks, just put less on the toast, and less frequantly.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I didnt cut anything from what I eat,moderation is the key,stay within your calories,eat what you enjoy,,thats why this site works,,ITS NOT A DIET,,its a change in the way you eat...thats why diets dont work,,in diets I cant eat what I enjoy so I never make it past a month or so,,,eat to lose weight.I have lost 81 pounds this way and hit my goal weight,,you can do it too
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I looovvveee Peanut Butter! My problem with it is that I love to many things that are high sodium... so I started buying the no salt added "natural" stuff... and put it on my celery or in a chocolate shake. That way 1 tbsp goes a long long way.

You do know that the reason God made celery was to be a peanut butter delivery device right? :wink:
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I only starting eating peanut butter on this 'diet'. I have it on toast or on crackers, sometimes just as a small snack when I need that bit of something to chew on. I always weigh it out and have it as part of my calorie allowance.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You dont need to cut any food out of your diet, you just need to watch how much you eat of it.

I love nut butters, and they do have SOME protein, but at a high calorie cost.
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    I still eat it, but have switched to a brand that is labelled as natural, and am just careful about portions - I use about 5g per large cracker, and dont eat more than 4 per day.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Dont think of PB as a good protein source. The protein per cal is way too low for that. But its yum, the fats are good ones, eat it if you like it just fit it in. But when it comes to getting protein in theres lots of ways to get more bang for your buck.
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    my mid morning snack is a soft protein cookie folded in half with peanut butter in the middle so its a little sandwich :)
  • raven23uk
    raven23uk Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter, could eat it straight from the spoon and include it in my daily allowance and mix it with my shake. mmmm
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting the healthy version, I get no sugar no salt added PB - from sanitarium (australian) I eat a couple of teaspoons pretty much every day :)
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you love it, keep it in your diet... depriving yourself can make these lifestyle changes less easy for you. Find a way to fit it into your daily cals, even if it's just a tablespoon. I've seen some brands of PB that are 90 cals a tablespoon. If you're trying to cut sugar than opt for the natural kind.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

You do know that the reason God made celery was to be a peanut butter delivery device right? :wink:

This is where its at!!!